Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Apr 2014, 01:44 (Ref:3391763)   #276
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
Can anyone in good conscience say that this year's race is better than this one?

I miss the ALMS.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 01:58 (Ref:3391765)   #277
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
TUSC finally produced some respectable racing but still managed to find a way to f**k the fans.
Is that what the old ALMS motto was? Cause it sounds familiar but not quite right... hmmm, not sure.

Oh and I thought the race was okay. To be honest, I've never liked sportscars at Long Beach.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 02:07 (Ref:3391769)   #278
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
So what is your opinion of the P/GTLM only format now? Pretty good eh?
NO!!!
I very much disagree that P/GTLM only format is "pretty good".
The great thing about multi class racing is the variety of speed and cornering ability featured in the different classes. Even when the class positions are spread out, the on track action between the classes is breathtaking.

With DP + GTLM only, there just isn't enough traffic to mix things up.
Also the closing speeds between the two classes aren't really extreme enough to be exciting.

Sadly the Laguna Seca races will also be only two classes.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 02:42 (Ref:3391779)   #279
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
NO!!!
The great thing about multi class racing is the variety of speed and cornering ability featured in the different classes. Even when the class positions are spread out, the on track action between the classes is breathtaking.

Also the closing speeds between the two classes aren't really extreme enough to be exciting.

You want amateur driving and full course yellows? You prefer what happened at Sebring? You can get your bunched up traffic there. I disagree with this comment 100%. Sorry I'll take green flag racing non stop. The racing was just fine today. If cars are spread out then so be it. Kudos to the #3 Corvette for such a dominant run today. It was well deserved. These are sports cars they are appealing enough to just watch them circulate the track. Especially the GTLM class. And bring on Laguna Seca!!! Thumbs up to IMSA for today's race. There was about 3 occasions where they could have been FCY happy and thrown the flag out but they were patient and let things play out naturally.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 02:57 (Ref:3391784)   #280
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do have to say one thing about ESM, Ed Brown really killed the GTLM race by holding up everyone behind 1st place. I can totally understand that as team co-owner he has the right to drive, but that was very poor driving.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 02:57 (Ref:3391785)   #281
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I noticed a tusc commercial was played at pretty much every break, wouldn't actually showing racing during the race be a better advertisement for the series?
Old 13 Apr 2014, 03:00 (Ref:3391787)   #282
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
I do have to say one thing about ESM, Ed Brown really killed the GTLM race by holding up everyone behind 1st place. I can totally understand that as team co-owner he has the right to drive, but that was very poor driving.
I don't think it would have mattered much the #3 was the class of the field clearly. Mr. Brown may not be fast but I think he can keep it clean. Perhaps he does give up some speed in order to keep the car in one piece.

Also I just don't think this was the track for the SRT Vipers. I expect them to come back at Laguna.

Also what is up with the spirit of daytona team. These folks just don't have it this year so far. I think a driver shakeup maybe needed.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 03:11 (Ref:3391790)   #283
extramundane
Racer

Benin
Here.
extramundane has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I remain amused by the folks who AINT GON WATCH THIS NASCRAP yet can recite every detail down to the commercial timing.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 03:24 (Ref:3391793)   #284
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by extramundane View Post
I remain amused by the folks who AINT GON WATCH THIS NASCRAP yet can recite every detail down to the commercial timing.
You do understand that people are trying to give it every possible chance right? Myself included, I've grown very tired of it, and my interest is waning greatly. Having said that..

I think it's incredibly important to complain to the management, and point out the issues so they can fix them if they desire.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 13 Apr 2014, 03:33 (Ref:3391795)   #285
jasonjessica09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
You do understand that people are trying to give it every possible chance right? Myself included, I've grown very tired of it, and my interest is waning greatly. Having said that..

I think it's incredibly important to complain to the management, and point out the issues so they can fix them if they desire.
What issues? This race was clean and went off very well.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 03:39 (Ref:3391796)   #286
belt driven
Racer

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
NO!!!

Not sadly, you are incorrect. Laguna Seca is all four classes. Your sig appears to be correct.

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/continen...rey-grand-prix

5 cars on the lead lap after 100 caution free minutes is a decent, if not thrilling, result. I think street races basically sukk. There is no margin for error or bravery without terminal results. Monaco, Macao, and Long Beach have been around long enough to have historic cred; but I wouldn't pay a dime to attend another one.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 03:40 (Ref:3391797)   #287
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What issues? This race was clean and went off very well.
Lol. Really? You know, like the 57 minutes of actual racing....that was all they showed, 57 minutes of a 100 minute race. The incessant commercial breaks, the lack of coverage of battles, the wrong information, the BoP being way off...the longest section of race broadcast was 9 minutes.

NINE!!!!!

The broadcast was garbage, completely unacceptable.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 13 Apr 2014, 04:00 (Ref:3391804)   #288
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.esmracing.com/blog/heartb...at-long-beach/
ESM explains that the #1 used too much fuel trying to fight the #42 OAK, so they ran out just after the white flag flew and they finisehd 7th.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 04:19 (Ref:3391814)   #289
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by belt driven View Post
Not sadly, you are incorrect. Laguna Seca is all four classes. Your sig appears to be correct.

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/continen...rey-grand-prix
All four classes, but not racing together at the same time. Instead we'll have two, short, boring races. I miss the days of four or five classes racing together for six hours. I will not be flying out there this year.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 04:25 (Ref:3391815)   #290
jasonjessica09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Lol. Really? You know, like the 57 minutes of actual racing....that was all they showed, 57 minutes of a 100 minute race. The incessant commercial breaks, the lack of coverage of battles, the wrong information, the BoP being way off...the longest section of race broadcast was 9 minutes.

NINE!!!!!

The broadcast was garbage, completely unacceptable.
Yes the broadcast was garbage. The race itself was fine.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 04:28 (Ref:3391816)   #291
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well sounds like I made the right decision not watching the race live. Looks like I can get through it in about 60 min tomorrow on the DVR.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 04:44 (Ref:3391819)   #292
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Yes the broadcast was garbage. The race itself was fine.
That's subjective at best.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 04:44 (Ref:3391821)   #293
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoske View Post
Well sounds like I made the right decision not watching the race live. Looks like I can get through it in about 60 min tomorrow on the DVR.
57 to be exact.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 06:22 (Ref:3391835)   #294
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by takoch View Post
Boosted DP's win over P2's again. Tube frame crap wagons with big motors win.
Carbon brakes, paddle shifters, traction control, production based engines in both naturally aspirated and turbocharged configuration, with a maximum displacement of 8 cylinders and 5.0l for n/a, and a maximum of six cylinders for turbocharged units.

What car am I talking about here?
Old 13 Apr 2014, 07:16 (Ref:3391839)   #295
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Also what is up with the spirit of daytona team. These folks just don't have it this year so far. I think a driver shakeup maybe needed.
They already have a new driver in for this year, and I would hardly consider Westbrook to be the problem. Last year they didn't really "have it" either. I don't know what is wrong with them, aside from a healthy share of bad luck.

They have always had good drivers for as long as I have been watching, and they have moments where they are very quick, but something always seems to happen, whether it be self-induced, being hit by an opponent, or just bad luck.

This time it was a mistake by Valiante though, and in a short race like this with no cautions it was pretty obvious at that point that they were out of it.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 09:06 (Ref:3391866)   #296
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The racing was just fine today. If cars are spread out then so be it. Kudos to the #3 Corvette for such a dominant run today. It was well deserved. These are sports cars they are appealing enough to just watch them circulate the track. Especially the GTLM class.
You, sir, get it. That sums up sports car racing to me. Enjoy Laguna Seca, I'm glad the series has levelheaded aficionados such as yourself attending.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 10:59 (Ref:3391897)   #297
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happened with the #42? It was close to the lead before the pit stop.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3391903)   #298
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Had a problem refiring after their stop. Otherwise would have been in the mix with the top 3.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3391934)   #299
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DVR was certainly the way to go, though if this was really a sample of the new way of running races I could even attend in person again. Time will tell. Management really went out of their way to avoid yellow, three occasions (Pew, Pew/Valiante, ad banner debris) that would have been FCY at the two previous races were properly handled under local yellow and debris flags. Looked like the position lights were working right also. The only real fly in the ointment was the excessive commercials, not a good way to win new fans.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 13:25 (Ref:3391940)   #300
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kind of interesting how the gentlemen P drivers achieved notice by being involved in problems, standing out in the mostly pro field.