Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Jul 2012, 04:09 (Ref:3101643)   #3676
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I know that the R18 driven by Lotterer at Goodwood was a fake e-tron (one of the test/back up cars made to look like the LM winner--with the wrong bodywork BTW), but the LM winner was at the Norisring DTM event, but was it driven or display only? Marcel Fassler did drive an R18 e-tron at the DTM event on the track at the same time Markus Winkelhock was demo-ing an Audi R8 LMS Ultra. I already established that the LM winner was on display, but Fassler also was in an R18 e-tron, and it was fitted with LM-style bodywork. So was the on-track R18 demo car the LM winner, or an LM replica built from spare LM bodywork used on a test/spare car or one of the other LM R18s?
Old 4 Jul 2012, 05:30 (Ref:3101653)   #3677
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the newest issue of Audi Express (07/2012) you can see that the car has a lot of dirt on the front, so I think it is the original Le Mans winning car.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 07:56 (Ref:3101704)   #3678
Lorenzo S
Racer

England
Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Lorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audi flywheel hybrid technology makes the mainstream BBC news
Old 4 Jul 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3101892)   #3679
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't know if these videos have already been posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJis6VnEJw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnVn-...eature=related

here you can see the telemetry of a pair of laps of #1 r18 etron. As you can see the audi engine in 2012 configuration gives a new definition of "low revlimit"! drivers usually shift gear around at 4500rpm! (more than a rumor tell that old 5.5 diesel engine could reach 5500rpm). Sincerly i don't know if audi set the engines so low to gain more torque and acceleration or is the consequence of the 2012 harsher restrictions.
Intersting too see also how the hybrid charges and releases the boost. Would be intersting to see a thing like that also of the ts030.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 11:28 (Ref:3102355)   #3680
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I know that the R18 driven by Lotterer at Goodwood was a fake e-tron (one of the test/back up cars made to look like the LM winner--with the wrong bodywork BTW), but the LM winner was at the Norisring DTM event, but was it driven or display only? Marcel Fassler did drive an R18 e-tron at the DTM event on the track at the same time Markus Winkelhock was demo-ing an Audi R8 LMS Ultra. I already established that the LM winner was on display, but Fassler also was in an R18 e-tron, and it was fitted with LM-style bodywork. So was the on-track R18 demo car the LM winner, or an LM replica built from spare LM bodywork used on a test/spare car or one of the other LM R18s?
The Goodwood car was R18X-202.
At least, the label on the door said that? The team were INTENSELY relaxed about folks taking pictures of the cockpit etc, but the engine cover never came off.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 12:03 (Ref:3102371)   #3681
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
That is one of the test cars because the first four chassis (201 to 204) were used for testing

The chassis that were used at Le Mans were
  • #1: R18H-208
  • #2: R18H-206
  • #3: R18X-207
  • #4: R18X-205
X means that the car is an ultra (diesel engine only) and H is used for the e-tron quattro version.
Quote:
The R18 chassis have slightly different numbers depending on whether the car is in hybrid or combustion specification. R18-X-205 as seen below is a combustion car, if it was a hybrid the chassis number would be R18-H-205, or in other words x is for combustion and h is for hybrid.
source: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/c...-tron-quattro/
Old 5 Jul 2012, 14:34 (Ref:3102427)   #3682
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chassis R18X-202 was also the car they had on display at the Audi hospitality building in the paddock at Le Mans. At the time it had no radiators, but did have an engine and gearbox. Security wasn't too nice about photos, until the lovely people we met at Audi allowed us a closer look and sent the security man away for a break lol.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 03:13 (Ref:3102685)   #3683
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
That is one of the test cars because the first four chassis (201 to 204) were used for testing

The chassis that were used at Le Mans were
  • #1: R18H-208
  • #2: R18H-206
  • #3: R18X-207
  • #4: R18X-205
X means that the car is an ultra (diesel engine only) and H is used for the e-tron quattro version.
source: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/c...-tron-quattro/
Unusual name scheme, since Audi did say that the e-tron's hybrid system would bolt onto an Ultra chassis if Audi had to make a change in that way. So does that mean some of the stuff that Audi said about the e-tron quattro and Ultra being the same and have the same provisions for hybrid system was PR fluff, or does it just state the initial intent of the state of the cars?
Old 6 Jul 2012, 06:10 (Ref:3102720)   #3684
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I remember them saying this too, I think they said it could be done overnight?
There is nothing stopping them sapping an X to an H or vice versa if they change. Seems sacrosanct, but doesn't have to be.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 06:20 (Ref:3102721)   #3685
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I imagine the H and X designations are added after they decide what chassis will become what car. It'll make it easier to track internally too. You know what chassis is what instantly, without having to think "202..which one is that again?"
Old 6 Jul 2012, 06:36 (Ref:3102727)   #3686
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Closest we'll come to seeing the R18's pullrod suspension until better photos get released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtzlFBPIWMc
Old 6 Jul 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3102772)   #3687
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I didn't get TOO close to being inside the cockpit, but the only label I saw seemed to have been 'sellotaped' to the RH door?
Perhaps, in order to swap from Ultra to Hybrid, you just fit a new driver's door!
I have a photo somewhere, I'll stick it up.
Old 8 Jul 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3103706)   #3688
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
Drivers door with chassis number.

Cockpit

Cockpit view.

Old 8 Jul 2012, 11:55 (Ref:3103707)   #3689
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
The field of view is just brilliant.

ok, just kidding.
Old 8 Jul 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3103793)   #3690
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Chassis reg plates are no more than a brother printed strip , glossed over with varnish , I wouldnt put my faith in that , at least the 962 were rivited !!! ..... and certainly wouldnt read in it other than it once was mated to that particuler chassis , doesnt mean it still is , its a door , they move .

For whatever reason , teams sometimes move chassis numbers around .
Old 9 Jul 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3104103)   #3691
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Quite. Hence my chat with the mechanics confirmed the car running at Goodwood was NOT the LM race winner, but a demo car. Which would fit with the 'prototype' tag...
If the 'dirty' car had HUGE splashes of oil behind the front wheels, both sides, it just might be. The LM winner was VERY grubby up front, but very clean at the rear...
Old 9 Jul 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3104117)   #3692
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Just check this picture and the picture in the Audi Magazine. You can see that the winning car was driving around the Norisring with the 24h Nürburgring winning Bilstein R8.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3104132)   #3693
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
You can JUST make out the dark patch behind the front wheel, in the formation finish shot.

You can't see that in the head on shot?
Old 9 Jul 2012, 11:28 (Ref:3104135)   #3694
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
You can JUST make out the dark patch behind the front wheel, in the formation finish shot.

You can't see that in the head on shot?
But on the car, theres a black marking between the nose and left front wheel (your right), which is the same on both cars
Old 9 Jul 2012, 15:40 (Ref:3104252)   #3695
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I'll post an image from pitlane, post race, to illustrate my point. It's a LOT of oil... It's at home, I'm at work!
Old 10 Jul 2012, 04:29 (Ref:3104440)   #3696
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
And that car was present at demo/LM celebration events at Inglostadt and Neckarsulm this past weekend, per Joest Racing's facebook page.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3105038)   #3697
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Quite. Hence my chat with the mechanics confirmed the car running at Goodwood was NOT the LM race winner, but a demo car. Which would fit with the 'prototype' tag...
If the 'dirty' car had HUGE splashes of oil behind the front wheels, both sides, it just might be. The LM winner was VERY grubby up front, but very clean at the rear...
it was one of the four test cars, chassis 201-204, of whch one was most likely totalled in the Bernard crash. The Audi guys at Goodwood also confirmed to me that it was not the winner, and that there was no hybrid system on board. (there were no marshalls with rubber boots either)
Old 17 Jul 2012, 22:31 (Ref:3107757)   #3698
PaulsF1
Rookie

Austria
Graz
PaulsF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello folks.

I'm working on a model R18TDI at the mo. Now, at the gearbox calculations, I recognised something, what I cant really believe. Is it possible, that the R18's drive shaft's are tilted forwards? (differential behind rear wheel centre line)
They are defenitively tilted about 10 degrees upwards.
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

Thank's for helping.

Cheers, Paul
Old 17 Jul 2012, 22:40 (Ref:3107763)   #3699
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry I cant help you , but that looks very interesting what youve done .

You can try this site : http://www.mulsannescorner.com/ ..... maybe something on it in there or perhaps ask Mike Fuller , who owns the site . He normally is a pool of imformation regarding mods and aero tweeks .

Hope this helps .
Old 23 Jul 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3110555)   #3700
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well Well.
With a little sister (who have been taught well from home) might have made a little scoop on her visit at both the KTM factory and Red Bull garage in Austria.
Unfortunalty my information is short, and a bit inaccurate (have asked her to clarify to me soon), but but but, she has been told that Audi is working together with one of the companies (most likely KTM) on next years Hybrid engine for Le Mans!
Again, i need her to clarify it for me, what exactly they said, and what company it was, but it seems that the Williams system was a one year try.