Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 17 Apr 2003, 19:11 (Ref:572396)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pau

Has anybody from the UK ever been to Pau? more to the point did they drive? How was the drive, how long did it take, which ferry crossing did you use.
I'm toying with the idea of making a long weekend and going to the GP de Historique Pau May 30 - June 1.
Hey maybe we should get a coach up?

Last edited by PaulSands; 17 Apr 2003 at 19:11.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 19:30 (Ref:572409)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been there 4 times,only the first visit in 1981 was by road.Page & Moy did a 14 day coach tour.London-Lyon-Monaco-Avinjon?-Pau-?-London.Think we left Pau on the Tuesday morning,with one overnight stop before reaching home.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 19:41 (Ref:572420)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ooohhh long trip then...hmmm Page & Moy I hadnt thunk of them for this
Old 18 Apr 2003, 07:53 (Ref:572860)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Paul,they never did it again.There were only 25 of us on a 40+ seater bus,so aparently it did not pay.Went by air in 85,86 & 92.Getting too expensive-was about £600 for long weekend in '92 -though I did check in at Gatwick next to DC & Paul Stewart!
Old 18 Apr 2003, 09:13 (Ref:572915)   #5
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I twice went by road. Real hard drive but can be done in a day no problem. Did Calais, much longer, and Portsmouth/Cherbourg(?) overnight crossing. It's worth mentioning that being caught for speeding in France is an expensive game. So if you are driving hard, don't take the ****! Autoroutes are the only way, good but dear. Great circuit, beautiful, well worth it. Local crumpet and ice cream georgeous.

Last edited by gfm; 18 Apr 2003 at 09:16.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 09:56 (Ref:572951)   #6
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are cheap flights by Ryanair to Bergerac, its a 4 hour drive to Pau, if 4 of you got together... hired a car etc...
Which weekend is it? Maybe there might be a class for the Bugatti T44?

Steve McQueen.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 20:20 (Ref:573494)   #7
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did it with a friend back in 1988. We chose to take our time and did it in two days, taking time out to look at intersting places along the way. Spent one night in a small village just outside Bergerac and had made the mistake of eating in the town, turned out that hotel was rather a good gathering hole for gastronomes.
Stopped off at Nogaro to look at thw track and were surprised to discover that Ligier were about to undertake some testing. Even more surprised when Guy Ligier turned up, followed by Rene Arnoux in a hired Pug 205. Arnoux spotted the crowd and then tried to be clever and perform a handbrake turn into the tunnel under the track. The result was extremely funny as he cocked up big time and nearly creamed it into the wall.
Stayed at an Inter Hotel on the Pau-Tarbes road, excellent cuisine (try the duck,it is the local speciality) which was booked in advance from the UK. Plenty of top quality restaraunts in Pau to choose from, but stay away from the park at night, apparently the locals who frequent it are prone to swinging handbags!
Entry into the track is cheap and it is possible to walk around a large chunk of it to find a good spot to spectate. We chose the Station hairpin on raceday and were not disappointed, I mean to say, how often do you see a Porsche try to mount a lamp post.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 20:48 (Ref:573514)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Ryanair flies direct to Pau...its around 150 return
Old 24 Apr 2003, 18:03 (Ref:579700)   #9
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two years ago I caught a cheap flight (Easyjet? can't remember, sorry)for about £70 return from Stanstead to Biarritz. Cadged a lift from airport to Pau, plenty of others going to races on flight, hang around the car hire desks at the airport...

Caught train back to airport - lovely journey on a sunny afternoon, the only sun that was seen all weekend.

As it's a street race it's not necessary to have a car when at the circuit, reccomend booking hotel before departure though.

This was for the historic meeting. I have a few pics at:
http://uk.msnusers.com/ActiveClassics/pau2001.msnw
Old 24 Apr 2003, 19:48 (Ref:579834)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I'm thinking I've probably thought about this a little too late to arrange sitters and the like and am setting my sights on Spa in September now...maybe Pau next year
Old 24 Apr 2003, 19:52 (Ref:579839)   #11
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
nice pics