Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 Aug 2003, 16:13 (Ref:700838)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PK Racing and Puma form a two year partnership

PK Racing will be heading into the next two years in style...

From here: http://cartfanatics.com/forums/showt...&threadid=8988

Quote:
PUMA STRIKES DEAL WITH CART TEAM
2003-Aug-27 07:51:
Despite major concerns over the future of CART, the motor racing series has been handed some good news after sportswear giant Puma agreed a sponsorship deal with the PK Racing team.
Puma and PK Racing formally announced a two-year partnership, naming the sportswear brand the official supplier of fireproof racewear and performance footwear to PK Racing and driver Max Papis.

PK Racing, which is in its first CART Champ Car season, is co-owned by Craig Pollock who also owns the British American Racing team in the Formula 1 series.

Stated Pollock: "Linking a new team to an established quality brand such as Puma means a lot. We feel that being linked to Puma is a step in the right direction, and we’re looking forward to a long-standing relationship."
Drew Barrand
drewb@sportbusiness.com
Source: © sportbusiness.com
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Aug 2003, 16:16 (Ref:700840)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
now...let's see how long it takes for someone to turn this into something that involves bashing Cart in this Cart bashing forum...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Aug 2003, 16:48 (Ref:700864)   #3
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You won't catch me getting involved in that!

Good news to have a new sponsor in the series. The thing that I can't reconcile, though, is that Max is mentioned as the driver but it has been mentioned elsewhere that he is leaving the team. :confused:
Old 27 Aug 2003, 16:52 (Ref:700867)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I guess they were late with the press release...

Seriously though, I know as far as racing sponsorship deals go this is abotu as small as you can get, but still, it's recognition that you provide a good marketing platform - so hopefully others will see that too. It just seems on this forum that whatever good news is posted, the doomsdayers always come in and it turns into another 'Cart is dead' thread. Well...even if it is a small deal, Puma seems to think they'll be around for 2 more years at least....
Old 27 Aug 2003, 19:51 (Ref:701056)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Great news, no doubt. Just too bad it's not any sort of primary sponsorship.

It'll work for Puma, at least to some extent, as I'm about due for a new pair of shoes. My decision has been made much easier.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 20:13 (Ref:701086)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WHat a great press release. Craig Pollock is apaprently stil involved with BAR, and still has Max Papis driving. I can only assuing they're taking the Papis.

Either way. it's good to have a recognised sponsor involved, there haven't been too many recently.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 20:14 (Ref:701090)   #7
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey you might get to see the logo on Salo's jockstrap.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 20:34 (Ref:701105)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Yeah, I was just thinking how long til corkholio comes... can always count on him to find the negativity in everything. Life's short dude, try to enjoy it!
Old 27 Aug 2003, 20:43 (Ref:701112)   #9
corkholio
Veteran

While it's not bad to have Puma involved, but I can't get too excited about a sponsor that puts out a press release with two major errors regarding the team that they are sponsoring.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 20:55 (Ref:701122)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Cork's got a point, though.
Puma's becoming PK Racing's "Official Underwear" is even lesser news than Bombardier becoming CART's "Official Personal Aircraft".

Don't jump on me! I realize it's the second time in a week that I've posted, not really "D&G", but...

I'm sure that the people sitting behind Puma's desk aren't idiots. And therefore I'm hopeful that this sponsorship will turn into a sidepod for next year.

Hopefully I haven't left us wide-open to the self-proclaimed "trolls".
Old 27 Aug 2003, 21:45 (Ref:701179)   #11
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 year deal. And it's more $$$ PK or CART doesn't have to pay.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 00:33 (Ref:701309)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I agree with you macdaddy, it's a very small deal, but still Puma has recognized that Cart is a good marketing partner - so hopefully others will too.

It's not that I expect everyone to be jumping for joy or anything, but it at least shows that a company sees something in Cart.... there are some here that will find ANY excuse to be negative or bring others down.. I don't understand it, I've met them at races too, in teams, the media... there are just some that are incapable of seeing anything as positive. It's rather sad actually.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 14:38 (Ref:701872)   #13
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Word. Now I get to kick my old school Puma's in style. At least we still don't have car sponsored by Crazy Cabbie from the Stern show.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 18:29 (Ref:702078)   #14
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to hear good news
Old 30 Aug 2003, 04:21 (Ref:703165)   #15
3state
Racer

3state should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's great news but there's one thing I don't get. Since the beginning of the season, every team have been progressively able to secure sponsorship, every team that is, except for ASTJ. Whats\'s going on there???
Old 30 Aug 2003, 15:28 (Ref:703393)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
ASTJ has not even looked for sponsorship - in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they have rejected some. They are being run by privately by investors (not hard to find out who) and insist that they don't need any sponsors. Like RuSport in Atlantic...
Old 30 Aug 2003, 15:42 (Ref:703401)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So why are ASTJ considering swtiching to the IRL - indeed, some say it's a done deal? Surely that suggests sponsorship issues?
Old 30 Aug 2003, 19:54 (Ref:703542)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
really? That's the first I've head of that... I can't see how that would happen, as one of their major investor is Nick Hunter-Reay and Ryan has zero interest in the IRL. I can't imagine Stefan being interested either. Where did you hear that from?
Old 31 Aug 2003, 01:07 (Ref:703737)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't understand how PK racing gets all of this sponsorship. Not that they have a ton, but their car seems to have no problems attacting sponsors. Pollock obviously has connections and influence that make people want to give him money.

Edit: Can anyone produce some info to back up this ASTJ to IRL claim? It would seem with their budget being like 85% pookfare they'd want to stay in the series.

Last edited by Snrub; 31 Aug 2003 at 01:09.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 23:21 (Ref:706251)   #20
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
It's not that much Snrub..., but yeah, I cant see how in the world that would happen. A good chunk of their money comes from Cart, another good chunk comes from Nick Hunter-Reay...and I know for a certain fact that Ryan Hunter-Reay has no interest in the IRL (he doesn't like ovals, thinks they're dangerous, and it's F1 or bust for him).

I really want to see where this rumour came from... my guess would be nowhere.

Last edited by Jay; 2 Sep 2003 at 23:21.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 02:13 (Ref:706323)   #21
corkholio
Veteran

ASTJ rejecting sponsorship? If that's the case, they ought to go to the IRL.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 02:45 (Ref:706333)   #22
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I beleive that American Spirit is their sponsor, you know the tobacco brand or else why would they stick johansson in there.
:confused:
Old 3 Sep 2003, 03:14 (Ref:706339)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with sponsorship. Why do you think CART lost so much money? It's from financing teams. The financing of races is probably similar to last year, if not less. Who are they paying for? Take a look at the cars. How much money do you think Mr. Hunter-Raey is putting into it? Rahal said ealier it cost him $20M to run a single car for a year. That's a top car. Maybe ASTJ only costs $5M per car. (I doubt it's that little) I can't see an individual putting in more than 10%.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:28 (Ref:706583)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
One of the earleir threads, after Ryan's podium finish, claimed that the team are close to moving to the IRL. I can't remember the source, hoepfully it's not the case.

For 2004, the Pookfare will be much reduced, so it will be harder for teams like ASTJ to run without extensive commerical sponsors. Nick Hunter-Reay's pockets can't be THAT deep.