Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Mar 2003, 22:22 (Ref:534385)   #1
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So where will/should he go?

So he plans on leaving. No surprise, really. But to where?

http://www.f1newswire.net/newsboard/...003-03-12-3914
Old 12 Mar 2003, 22:46 (Ref:534406)   #2
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
He SHOULD go to Ferrari.. but Michael is going to sign on for two more years - till 06. And Rubens is already signed for next year, isn't he? Maybe if they have to field a 3 car team - he'll be in one of them.

My guess is he'll end up at Jordan...
Old 12 Mar 2003, 23:33 (Ref:534445)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going to Ferrari would be a big dream fo him I'm sure, but the pressure would be intense. You never know there might be an opening at Toyota next year, maybe even BAR or Jag.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 13 Mar 2003, 00:24 (Ref:534485)   #4
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems there are a lot of drivers who covet a drive at Toyota. Money talks!

This is going to be the chance to see what team managers really think he's worth...is he really better than DC, Ralf, or Rubens?
Old 13 Mar 2003, 00:54 (Ref:534513)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the temptation for a lot of drivers to covet a Toyota seat is that they actually look like their taking a professional approach to the running of the team. Even from day one. BAR and Jaguar after squandering all their money for years just now look like they may be getting their act together. Fisichella may have to take a pay cut to get one of these seats,(something maybe he should have done at Renault) but I think it would be a risk worth taking. He is a talent in need of a good drive IMO.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 13 Mar 2003, 01:55 (Ref:534609)   #6
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunatly senna12,we allready know the team managers opinions of fisi,they've been rejecting him for years.
Doesn't make them right of course!!Coulthard and ralf are there for promo stuff(yes they're fast'ish as well...)and rubins got the job because he would let michael win
Old 13 Mar 2003, 01:59 (Ref:534612)   #7
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally don't think Fisi will be going anywhere, he needs a good car to impress those in the big teams who have doubted his abilities for so many years and he does not have the car to do it this year I'm afraid. I could see him replace JV at BAR though that would certainly p** off Jenson.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 02:17 (Ref:534638)   #8
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get rid of RS at Williams!
Old 13 Mar 2003, 02:47 (Ref:534673)   #9
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that may just happen neilap if he can't get a hand;e on this car
Old 13 Mar 2003, 04:10 (Ref:534720)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I sincerely hope he ends up in a big three team. Ferrari would be perfect, but it seems unlikely. Williams is a possibility as both drivers come off contract while McLaren... well, who knows. But Fisi deserves a top-line drive.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 05:26 (Ref:534750)   #11
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nobody in the big three with the exception of DC comes off their contract until 2004. So unless someone is booted there is at best one seat available. DC's win doesn't help anybody's chances I might add.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 08:56 (Ref:534813)   #12
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking at the grid / issues my guts say the most vulnerable are:

Villeneuve at BAR - for pure attitude problems / team hassles, plus he is costing a bomb
Jense at BAR - if he can't hack Villeneuve's treatment of him.
Ralphie at Williams - I reckon he'll have a mediocre season.

Out of the three, I'd say Fisi for BAR in Jaques seat.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 14:50 (Ref:535099)   #13
bulldogspirit
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
bulldogspirit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plenty better drivers out there, equally fast, much less demanding money-wise and less of a disruptive influence on the team. He's had his time, and for the most part wasted it - move over for a new breed.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 15:13 (Ref:535107)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What "new breed"?
JB?? GF??

What's so new about them?
Old 13 Mar 2003, 15:24 (Ref:535114)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Ron Dennis may finally realise it's time to let David go.

For the team's stability, he couldn't possibly risk and change both drivers at the same time. Hence, with Kimi replacing Mika, Mclaren needed David as an insurance for the risk. Now that the risk seems to be paying off, and Kimi had 2 years to mature in Mclaren, they could finally show DC the door... thus making way for GF~ Fisi deserves a good drive, no doubt
Old 13 Mar 2003, 16:22 (Ref:535171)   #16
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's not going anywhere unless they run 3 car teams. Ferrari are happy with their current drivers for another 2 years, Williams are contracted till the end of 2004, and as for Mclaren - there is no way Kimi is going anywhere and DC always has a knack of pulling his socks up just before its time to get the contract renewed.

Fisi should try for a Toyota seat -maybe in place of Panis. Thats pretty much the only option.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 16:44 (Ref:535187)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If they run 3 car teams, it would ironically be more likely if Jordan were to go under - something I'd consider a tragedy. Toyota would be a great option,a s those guys are really moving forward, but it'll depend on how well Pnais nad Da Matta do.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 17:09 (Ref:535212)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fisi & Montoya - I like the sound of that.

All a bit pie in the sky though, isn't it. What you have to remember is that the driver might not want to go somewhere without number one status, any more than a prospective team-mate would want to have him without the corresponding reassurance. I'm sure this all goes on behind the scenes.

It would, however, be a sinful waste for Fisi's career to disappear without the chance he so obviously deserves.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 17:23 (Ref:535219)   #19
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Fisi has missed the boat for that top drive he should have had.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 17:49 (Ref:535246)   #20
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren could be a possiblity. I've got a feeling (yeah okay, for the fourth year in a row) that this will be DC's last year at Woking.

Last edited by Raven; 13 Mar 2003 at 17:50.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 18:18 (Ref:535264)   #21
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe he deserves a top seat, and I think it was as much circumstance as anything else that has kept him out of the big three. Despite being a Coulthard fan, I think that the writing is on the wall, and unless the Scot is in the hunt by June for the WDC, I expect his contract will not be reknewed. Now a factor to consider is the McLaren inssitence on PR work by its drivers. Unfortunately, Kimi has the charisma of a rock and Fisi's lack of command of English could be a liability for him to be considered by Woking. In his favor, when teamed with the highly regarded Alex Wurz, Fisi was the superior racer-by a lot. If Three car teams were to be de rigeur in 2004, I think Ron would consider a place for him.

Williams, I don't see as clearly, though if Ralf doesn't raise his game, he could be vulnerable. Also Willys have a history of taking on mature drivers as #2's, so it is a possibility.

Ferrari, the romantic choice. But as long as Schumacher is there, I suspect that the team would find the presence of an Italian Driver a disruptive influence, particulary with regard to the Italian press.

TOYOTA may prove to be the best shot. Rumour suggests that Panis is near retiremnet and Fisi would be the perfect complement to De Matta.

But if Ricardo Patrese could finish up his career at Williams and Benetton while over 40, I'd say that the supremely talented Fisichella still has a shot a decent drive.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 21:29 (Ref:535450)   #22
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
He SHOULD go to Ferrari.. but Michael is going to sign on for two more years - till 06.
How do you know he will Inigo Montoya? He may not take the new Ferrari deal. Even he wouldn't be stupid enough to do a Damon Hill.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 22:05 (Ref:535471)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I reckon Fisi might go to Sauber, possibly at the request of Ferrari for when Michael retires, but, i've always said that i don't see Ferrari hiring an Italian driver again, too political.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 23:58 (Ref:535583)   #24
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
How do you know he will Inigo Montoya? He may not take the new Ferrari deal. Even he wouldn't be stupid enough to do a Damon Hill.
A Damon Hill? You mean turn down a reduced salary and sign with a pathetic team? Naaaw...The money that he is being offered is in the $32 million range. His current contract pays him $40 million.

I don't know for a fact, but he still looks like he's enjoying himself, and now that there *might* be worthy competitors, I can't see him stopping.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 03:12 (Ref:535657)   #25
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crystal ball, 2005 Australian Grand Prix... what do you see? Show me what you s... Stop looking in the grid girls changerooms and get to pit lane. Stupid ball...

Fisichella... Sauber?

Well, that's my guess anyway.
Renault: He's not Briatore's b***h so forget it.
Toyota: It's fairly likely, depending on Panis. I think Briscoe might be left to rot by Toyota somehow.
McLaren: Nope, they've got a stable lineup.
Ferrari: Not for a while. 3 years.
BAR: Nope. Sato and Davidson, and I think Sato is next in line somehow.
Williams: If Ralf doesn't pull his finger out this is a fairly likely place to be changed soon but I don't know if Williams will pick Fisi, and instead maybe go for a young driver to develop.
Sauber: Heidfield's not been anything phenomenal and HHF is later in his career so may opt out or lose pace to make Peter Sauber look about. And who's been racing against Saubers and done well in the past few years? Fisi.

Dunno, I think Jordan should really push hard, find an engineering firm or something somewhere that can supply a decent motor to their specs and keep Fisi. They're gonna struggle unless Eddie can find the next Schuey out there and hold onto him this time...
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.