Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 17 Feb 2002, 15:38 (Ref:217787)   #1
Abarnett
Rookie

Abarnett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Urgent!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help me as I need to know what parts of an engine originally used in racing engines are now used in ordinary car engines and what performance criteria does an engine designer look for? cheers
Old 19 Feb 2002, 06:12 (Ref:218741)   #2
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um,it's been awhile-i remember some performance criteria for engines:Shaking forces-1st order,2nd order,etc,fuel economy,oil usage,what shape is the torque curve and how much.+ others
If you mean what ideas from racing,i don't think there have been all that many-most bits you see in racing were actually tried on road cars at various times over the years first.

Last edited by RWC; 19 Feb 2002 at 06:13.
Old 19 Feb 2002, 14:29 (Ref:218899)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the US they call the shaking forces NVH rating, for Noise, Harshness, and Vibration.

Fuel injection was a direct result of racing parts appearing on road cars. Most improvements coming from race engines to road car engines focus on improvements in effeciency. One way to build more power in a race engine was to use thinner oils for less drag. This is now common in most road cars as well to improve power and fuel economy. Better ignition systems have also trickled down. Honda loves to tout their variable valve train technology as being a direct result of their decades long racing programs.

I would imagine a road car engine designer is looking for many things. The engine needs to be efficient and powerful for its designated displacement. It must be smooth and quiet. It also must be reliable, at least for the waranty duration. These are all selling points for a car maker to use.
Never forget #99
Old 19 Feb 2002, 15:24 (Ref:218922)   #4
Hoagy
Rookie

Hoagy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst many parts have been developed for the basic road car engine, the use of these parts in racing engines sees further development of components to their full potential. Electronic fuel injection is a good example of this, many companies such as Bosch have used racing to further their understanding and development of a product. Renault used F1 in the late 70's and early 80's to show how far the turbo technology can be pushed. Bentley first started using forced induction on their racing cars back in the 20's and 30's. There are many principles and concepts that would have never seen full development without using racing as a testing and proving ground.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 00:33 (Ref:220406)   #5
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OHCs were developed for grand prix racing in the 30s (I think)