Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Oct 2007, 09:58 (Ref:2037544)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Volvo confirms 3 year deal and the new C30

Today Volvo Motorsport and Polestar Racing confirmed what TouringCarTimes reported about earlier this week: A three year deal has been signed and the new Volvo C30 will be used in the Swedish Touring Car Championship next year. The car will be run on bio-ethanol, the same engine as being used in the current S60.
"That we change to the C30 is no coincidence. The base construction of the model provides a very good base for a racing car," said Murdzevski from Volvo Motorsport.

More here and a picture of the new C30 in racing shape.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 10:26 (Ref:2037570)   #2
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news! And the car actually looks really really good! Cant wait for 2008!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 10:54 (Ref:2037596)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great news - are Polestar planning to build extra cars - they could be used in the BTCC..
Old 11 Oct 2007, 11:00 (Ref:2037605)   #4
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That car looks terrible Although not quite as terrible as I had feared.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 11:05 (Ref:2037611)   #5
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Great news - are Polestar planning to build extra cars - they could be used in the BTCC..
I guess if they get a serious proposal from a good team with the right money they would be able to build them over a few months. I wonder where the old S60 cars will end up tho, those are proven seriously fast, together with the Audis and maybe Peugeot and Mercs, theres about 8 seriously fast cars up for sale to next season in Sweden alone!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 11:07 (Ref:2037613)   #6
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks less terrible than original street going C30 (ulgiest Volvo ever! (ok, maybe 300-series is worse))... or maybe those are just good photos.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 11:15 (Ref:2037621)   #7
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That looks better than i thought! I kinda like it!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 11:23 (Ref:2037632)   #8
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually I love it
Old 11 Oct 2007, 11:29 (Ref:2037636)   #9
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess there was no chance of making a C30 look better...!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 11 Oct 2007, 12:02 (Ref:2037658)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Good news for S2000 in general, though I would like to see some in the WTCC or BTCC.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 12:45 (Ref:2037687)   #11
the interpreter
Rookie

the interpreter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really don't like this move to little cars - the updated S40 is the model that should have been selected. Touring car racing is for medium-sized cars.

I have concerns about the car - given the narrow width of the wing, I can see all sorts of aero problems - just as have been suffered by the SEAT. Also, the Opel Astra has always struggled (except for the last round win).

This is just not the direction we want Super 2000 to go.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 13:33 (Ref:2037721)   #12
Ellmau
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the interpreter
This is just not the direction we want Super 2000 to go.
I couldn't agree more, but obviously the people that make the rules don't agree, because they dispensate the small hatchbacks
Old 11 Oct 2007, 14:09 (Ref:2037742)   #13
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the car looks fantastic. Although probably it's a photoshopped picture, maybe a dummiecar.
It's a shame though that it probably won't be eliginble for WTCC, since it has only 3 doors, so strictly it isn't a legal S2000-car. Probably the Swedisch motorsportscounsil has given permission for racing it in the STCC, at due to the deal made between the MSA and the Swedes also for racing it in the BTCC, but that's it.
And the S40 is probably even better in terms of aerodynamics.
But nevertheless, a beautifull car.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 14:16 (Ref:2037746)   #14
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
It's a shame though that it probably won't be eliginble for WTCC, since it has only 3 doors, so strictly it isn't a legal S2000-car. Probably the Swedisch motorsportscounsil has given permission for racing it in the STCC, at due to the deal made between the MSA and the Swedes also for racing it in the BTCC, but that's it.
But then Team Dynamics would say "if you're letting them enter and you didn't let us enter a Civic Type R 3 door, then we're leaving."

Lovely looking car.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 14:53 (Ref:2037775)   #15
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is not a photoshopped car, it was standing at the press launch today. But probably a prototype.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 15:06 (Ref:2037787)   #16
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't mind seeing smaller cars - besides, most road cars are that sort of size and that is what touring cars are supposed to be.

Re the doors issue - IMO they should remove the four door rule and replace it with the car having to be able to seat four adults in some degree of comfort (not a two plus two legless gnomes) ... sensible idea?
Old 11 Oct 2007, 15:34 (Ref:2037805)   #17
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Re the doors issue - IMO they should remove the four door rule and replace it with the car having to be able to seat four adults in some degree of comfort (not a two plus two legless gnomes) ... sensible idea?
And how do you translate that into rear rules? With the numbers of doors its easy, with an interpriation of how big the comfort for an adult is... thats never going to work.

werner:
FIA homoligation and National homoligation. Volvo C30, Audi A4, Dynamics Civic, Vauxhall, Mercedes C-class and so on, they are all real S2000 cars, with National homoligation. If those arent real S2000 cars then neaither is the SEAT with flat underbody, and neither is the Chevy with bigger valves. Its as easy as that.
Its the National homoligation that ruins it in, they wont be able to race for points in WTCC, if they dont get a FIA Homoligation, which I belive wont be any harder then getting one for STCC. As said, SEAT and Chevy has already got dispensions and Volvo would have no problems at all getting a 3-door dispension for the WTCC (like Civic in ETCC 2002), FIA would welcome it with open arms if it means one more manufactuer involved.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:58 (Ref:2037940)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great looking car but I had prefered a saloon (S60 or S40).
Old 11 Oct 2007, 20:33 (Ref:2038037)   #19
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
not really good looking car ! but most of S2000 cars are "hatchback", so sounds logical to choose the C30 !

I wonder if we can see it in some WTCC events, Anderstorp !
Old 12 Oct 2007, 09:21 (Ref:2038336)   #20
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
FIA homoligation and National homoligation. Volvo C30, Audi A4, Dynamics Civic, Vauxhall, Mercedes C-class and so on, they are all real S2000 cars, with National homoligation. If those arent real S2000 cars then neaither is the SEAT with flat underbody, and neither is the Chevy with bigger valves. Its as easy as that.
Its the National homoligation that ruins it in, they wont be able to race for points in WTCC, if they dont get a FIA Homoligation, which I belive wont be any harder then getting one for STCC. As said, SEAT and Chevy has already got dispensions and Volvo would have no problems at all getting a 3-door dispension for the WTCC (like Civic in ETCC 2002), FIA would welcome it with open arms if it means one more manufactuer involved.
I'm sure the FIA would close an eye about the 3 doors, when Volvo applies for a FIA-homologation, if they want to enter as a factory-team in the WTCC. But when Polestar wants to do only a few rounds, and Volvo is not willing to go trough another homologationprocedure again, then it may be a different story

IIRC there isn't a problem if a car is nationally homologated exactly to the letter of the S2000 technical regulations, but when it has some, even minor, alterations, then it is a problem. Even if the National homologators have approved it being still 'in the spirit' of S2000. Cases are in Britain the Civics of team Halfords, wich have a type-r base engine,wich isn't for sale in a 5-door car, and now in Sweden this 3-door Volvo.
Source: Someware in the back of my head, so not 100% reliable.
The Astra of Rustad is a 3-door car as well, i heard it was a changed former BTCC-car?
Old 12 Oct 2007, 11:35 (Ref:2038436)   #21
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No. OTS ran the ex-BTCC Astra Coupe between 2003 and 2005, but built their own new Astra GTC for 2006. This car is still being used. In any case national S2000 cars are pretty much always not S2000 to the letter, as they have usually have some sort of dispensations. This is because the powers at be often recognizes the fact that it is very difficult for small national teams to build cars that can compete with Schnitzer or N.Technology. Sometimes this dispensation is removed, as happened with Audi (I believe) who originally ran lighter because of their national status. However, with the cars being designed and built by the pros down at Audi Sport in Germany this became a bit strange at they had some extra weight put in.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 17:19 (Ref:2038677)   #22
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmau
That car looks terrible Although not quite as terrible as I had feared.
This neatly sums up my feelings on the car in question.

At least the previous car was a looker, if not as gorgeous as the original racing S40s or anything...
Old 12 Oct 2007, 23:38 (Ref:2038916)   #23
Koulle
Racer

United Kingdom
Koulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may not be the best looking car but am I the only one that thinks the livery is stunning?!!?
Old 13 Oct 2007, 07:57 (Ref:2039046)   #24
Ellmau
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koulle
It may not be the best looking car but am I the only one that thinks the livery is stunning?!!?
I've seen test cars with stunning livery before, but when they started to race they ended up with horrible liveries (remember BAR in 1999?)
Old 13 Oct 2007, 13:55 (Ref:2039234)   #25
Koulle
Racer

United Kingdom
Koulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmau
I've seen test cars with stunning livery before, but when they started to race they ended up with horrible liveries (remember BAR in 1999?)
Good point. I hope they keep this one.