Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Jun 2003, 21:23 (Ref:643122)   #1
stuartscott
Rookie

United Kingdom
waresley, sandy,beds
stuartscott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GulfAir Golf GTI

The car appears on many threads so lets have one of our own. Is it a Gt or is it not. We have our views but what is yours. Those of you at Combe will have seen that it has the pace and before too long we want to be on the podium.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 21:28 (Ref:643127)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would the car be eligible under FIA/ACO rules or not. Would be good to see the Golf mixing ot with the GT3RS in the Donnington FIA GT race, even if its not a true GT.

Last edited by JAG; 25 Jun 2003 at 21:28.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 22:26 (Ref:643174)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, it's a touring car.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 22:31 (Ref:643183)   #4
Speck
Rookie

Speck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno what it is, but what it ain't is a GT.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 00:46 (Ref:643276)   #5
weeks
Rookie

weeks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its half of a gt.
I can't drive 55!
Old 26 Jun 2003, 01:10 (Ref:643283)   #6
Speck
Rookie

Speck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by weeks
Its half of a gt.
Which half?
Old 26 Jun 2003, 03:15 (Ref:643327)   #7
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Speck
Which half?
t.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 10:08 (Ref:643534)   #8
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
what about muzzis clio then...also the BMW gt car...thats an m3???isnt that a touring car aswell then???do i need to go on
Old 26 Jun 2003, 10:37 (Ref:643554)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
This is just my opinion, but... the Golf is a touring car, likewise the Clio. The M3 GTR, however, I was willing to accept as a GT. I think to a degree it's a matter of personal choice. But a front-drive 'GT' does seem odd, somehow.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 11:18 (Ref:643597)   #10
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'd call the m3 a touring car...in all honesty though i'd say the clio and the golf should stick to their own make series or racing from the lights on the north circular.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 11:19 (Ref:643598)   #11
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks better with the rear wing and front splitter.

next - big wheel arches perhaps
Old 26 Jun 2003, 12:16 (Ref:643667)   #12
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
If the regs allow it - and they do - then I'm glad its there.

These guys prepare the car fantastically well, drive it very quickly and large proportions of the crowd really get behind it all very good things in my book.

If nothing else its got us discussing this area of the sport and again that has to be a good thing.

With the entry levels back on the up in the Brit GTs I'd say we owe those guys that have got behind the Championship from the start of the year a vote of thanks. We've had some great racing throughout the field and plenty to talk about afterwards.

With grid numbers now expected to exceed 20 for the remainder of the season perhaps the Championship has turned a corner?
Old 26 Jun 2003, 13:42 (Ref:643735)   #13
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may have turned a corner, but it's heading in the wrong direction! I echo Graham's comments about getting behind the people who are prepared to support the series, but some of the entries run the risk of turning the series into a joke. If you allow cars like Clio's, Golfs and Mini's in, more people are going to run them because they're cheaper than a Mosler or a Tuscan. Then we'll just end up with a second-string Touring Car championship. I'd rather see poor grids for a couple of years if it means protecting the series in the long term.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 14:18 (Ref:643769)   #14
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a front drive GT? well I like the Idea and the car is prepared fantastically. Results will be the only thing to convice many o its place, GT is Gran Turismo yes? and if you can rac it and tour around with it I guess it fits, the drive train lay out is odd as is the hatch shape, but no matter something new is welcome and if it fits the rules than bravo to you guys
Old 26 Jun 2003, 15:30 (Ref:643825)   #15
Patrick
Rookie

Patrick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Golf may not be a "GT" car in the strict sense of the word but it definately has the pace, I was very surprised to see the Golf in the 1.12's at Combe! I think if the organisers allowed the car some modifications such as wider arches and such like then it may look more at home.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 15:48 (Ref:643834)   #16
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
some "wolfies" and a pink light under the rear axle as well...
Old 26 Jun 2003, 16:04 (Ref:643850)   #17
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must admit that I was a bit suprised to see a Golf entered in this series, but if the rules allow, then so be it. At Combe the car was beautifully prepared & presented & was certainly a talking point amongst the Quarry crowd. I for one was certainly impressed. More power to your elbow (& that engine).
Old 26 Jun 2003, 17:50 (Ref:643929)   #18
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.mst-group.co.uk/bf3gt/2003/32505bgt.pdf

I was joking... I welcome every entry, if it's in the rules it's in.

Can't argue with the speed, either!

Actually, there are a handful of fwd cars that'd be cool; Alfa GTV for example, Audi TT, Volvo coupe.
Grand Touring and Touring do have Touring in common after all!
Old 26 Jun 2003, 18:08 (Ref:643956)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No point asking me - I don't think an M3 is a GT, so you can guess what I think about a Golf.

(And before anyone thinks I don't like 'em, I used to have a Golf GTi and loved it )
Old 26 Jun 2003, 19:49 (Ref:644050)   #20
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not against any car that can cut it. If the car can keep up and the rules allow it then fine. I have seen some so called pukka sports cars trailing around at the back of the field before

I agree the Sports GT's should be cars from the top end of the market but then again MG's, Alfa's, Mini Marcos, Panhard have been judged to be included as sports cars before and Jag XJS's, Mustangs and 911's included in Touring car classes.

Simon
Old 26 Jun 2003, 20:26 (Ref:644087)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry I think it's a touring car, as are the Clio's and the Mini which is meant to be joining the series later in the year........
Old 26 Jun 2003, 20:32 (Ref:644097)   #22
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was a tourism category at Le Mans, many years ago, in the 70's.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 20:52 (Ref:644115)   #23
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
An Alfa GTV is due to join the championship at Oulton park
Old 26 Jun 2003, 22:38 (Ref:644182)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess I'm pretty much with Aysedasi here.

No, I'm afraid it's not a GT car.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 07:52 (Ref:644440)   #25
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to the guys that run the Golf, but it should not be in a GT championship.
If this type ie. hot hatch/touring car are allowed to race they will put of potential sportscars from entering. It is one thing to be blown into weeds by a TVR or Ferrari but to have a Golf do it would not look good to a sponsor and if you are a new team with a new car this would not be good news. So in the end all you will end up with are a bunch of 'special saloons', not to my mind what GT's are all about.
I wonder why the golf was chosen, it's not as if there are not lots of potential sports cars in the showrooms not being raced.