Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Apr 2024, 17:49 (Ref:4203965)   #126
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
flatlandman .......

I understand your point of view and in the main, and don't disagree ....... but the issues in FP1 and PQ on Saturday and in race 2 on Sunday all occurred when PRO drivers were in the car! Race 1 on Sunday in the changeable conditions was a lottery and anyone who stayed on the track did a good job I think - PRO or AM.

Looking at other circuits I would love to see them race at Knockhill but I am not sure it would be any better! Zolder maybe .... but in March/April would the weather be any better? I doubt it. Magny Cours .... great circuit, but have you ever tried to get there? Nurburgring GP ..... yeah, maybe but would many people go to watch? Oulton Park was VERY busy on Saturday.

The frustration with Silverstone is that they really don't give a flying f*** about anything other than £££ - last year for the 500 there was just one grandstand open at the last corner and it was one too far to the left to see down the Wellington Straight ....... Just stupid! If you are only going to allow one stand to be open, then at least make sure it's the right one!
Also there were so many locked access gates on walkways that caused people to actually have to walk on the access roads where there were no pedestrian areas. They have so many circuit configurations that I am sure they could run a couple of races - problem is, no one would go!

I also agree that some of the Ams are out of their depth ..... but then there are also some guys who have gone from strength to strength - Darren Leung, James Cottingham, Ian Loggie to name just a few who are now on the international stage and racing in WEC, Fanatec, Asia etc ..... and fair play to them too!
Yeah, wealthy guys who want to play with their toys but they are on a level with many a Silver classified drivers and have certainly earned the right to 'go and play'. Watched Darren Leung at Donington in the last race of 2023 ..... and I thought that it was a PRO in the car! He looked that good! but he takes it VERY seriously, where some don't!

Last edited by Badlands99; 5 Apr 2024 at 17:55.
Old 6 Apr 2024, 06:54 (Ref:4204004)   #127
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Having watched GT1 cars at Croft and Oulton , and big banger Can Am cars at both , stuff like T70s before that , as well as DFV era F1 , the suggestion that the tracks aren't up to it is debatable . What makes overtaking harder than ever before is massive brakes , ultra grippy tyres and semi auto boxes making a missed gearchange a thing of the past . Overtaking has never been a huge thing in sports cars and GTs anyway - it's the TV which has conned the public into expecting mass overtakes . GT at Oulton is about being there , and drinking in the sights and sounds.
Old 6 Apr 2024, 08:59 (Ref:4204012)   #128
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The issue also is that as coppice says these cars are not easy to pass each other in, it usually takes mistakes, anyone who has played ACC knows this, you can easily sit behind someone seconds a lap slower for half an hour if they don't make a mistake, you can maybe force a way past but you don't really know how they will react, trying to force past a Neary or McDonald is tough as they have massive egos and refuse to be passed, so you have to wait.

Trouble is that then totally hampers guys like Gotz or Marciello, who are supposed to be the big attraction.

A wider venue helps, it allows more creative lines, but we do not have those tracks in the UK, only Silverstone and others have highlighted the obvious issues there, mainly that they only care about 4 days a year, the rest can go whatever itself, so there are fewer venues you can use.

hence I am thinking of venues abroad and not too far away.
Old 7 Apr 2024, 19:41 (Ref:4204101)   #129
JTN358AT
Rookie

JTN358AT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton, has a history of BGT and BTCC events ending in farce with safety car finishes and wreck fests. I’ve been going there since the mid 80’s and know that a wet day usually means poor racing and endless safety cars. Personally, I would make Donington the first BGT round and swap the BARC, event to Oulton. Donington, is more forgiving in the wet. Also, I’d bin the 1hr format and have a 2-3hr race where the first corner does not matter so much. The recovery is also too slow at Oulton and running under safety car does not help matters. I would like to see the race red flagged, GT3 cars gridded up on the right, GT4 on the left and once the circuit is ready, safety car start would get the show on again. Oulton also, has the problem of spectators cars getting stuck on wet grass. The ground is just too soft for that time of year. Whilst Donington, can also have this problem at Starkeys, there is a lot of parking on the tarmac lake that does not. So, for me, Oulton should be a summer event. But, there are few weekends in which a two day event can be run.
Old 7 Apr 2024, 19:54 (Ref:4204103)   #130
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Decidedly mixed feelings. Six hour round trip for around an hours BGT racing. As fabulous a track as it is, Oulton Park is not suited to modern GT cars - discuss …
Well, you have discussed !

There does seem to be a broad consensus that 1) we still want to see GTs at Oulton and 2) we don't want to see them there at Easter.

At the risk of heresy, perhaps they could swap the British GT and Gold Cup weekends and run a 3 hour race on a glorious British summer Sunday afternoon ...
Old 7 Apr 2024, 20:21 (Ref:4204108)   #131
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That makes a lot of sense, the Gold Cup is a prestigious event and guys like Gotz, Marciello would be valuable runners there for that trophy, far better weather.

I really cant see why with so few races the season cannot start later anyway. Hardly like there are tons of races anyway.
Old 9 Apr 2024, 16:54 (Ref:4204374)   #132
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guest entries for the Silverstone 500 are being announced this week.

A GT3 announcement at 9am on Wednesday
A GT4 announcement at 9am on Thursday
Old 9 Apr 2024, 22:54 (Ref:4204407)   #133
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Guest entries for the Silverstone 500 are being announced this week.

A GT3 announcement at 9am on Wednesday
A GT4 announcement at 9am on Thursday
Just the two, or should we expect more than that?
Old 10 Apr 2024, 08:03 (Ref:4204435)   #134
SSmith
Veteran

First guest entry

Jann Mardenborough / Chris Buncombe - RJN - McLaren 720S GT3 Evo
Old 10 Apr 2024, 08:54 (Ref:4204439)   #135
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Just the two, or should we expect more than that?
I would have anticipated slightly more given the pre-season statement of 40/41 cars at Silverstone. Perhaps it's two announced this week and two next week?
Old 10 Apr 2024, 08:57 (Ref:4204441)   #136
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They tend to trickle these out over a few days
Old 10 Apr 2024, 09:37 (Ref:4204444)   #137
v8supes
Veteran

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
First guest entry

Jann Mardenborough / Chris Buncombe - RJN - McLaren 720S GT3 Evo
This is great news. Jann was a decent driver a few years ago and then disappeared.
Old 10 Apr 2024, 10:26 (Ref:4204455)   #138
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
This is great news. Jann was a decent driver a few years ago and then disappeared.
It is definitely good to see, and hopefully his target of a full-time return to racing in 2025 can come to fruition. Whenever he appears on camera he seems an incredibly nice person.
Old 10 Apr 2024, 21:25 (Ref:4204536)   #139
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It is definitely good to see, and hopefully his target of a full-time return to racing in 2025 can come to fruition. Whenever he appears on camera he seems an incredibly nice person.
That's one way of looking at it.

How about further variety to build on the already strong mixed GT3 field?

A Ferrari, Porsche or would be fab, rather than just a spare McLaren that's knocking around a workshop?
Old 11 Apr 2024, 06:20 (Ref:4204566)   #140
v8supes
Veteran

I agree Chunterer, if you can arrange for me to win the Euromillions on Friday night then i WILL make it happen....
Old 11 Apr 2024, 08:08 (Ref:4204575)   #141
SSmith
Veteran

Joining GT4 for Silverstone

Carl Garnett / Harley Haughton - Breakell Racing - Mercedes-AMG GT4
Old 11 Apr 2024, 08:17 (Ref:4204579)   #142
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
That's one way of looking at it.

How about further variety to build on the already strong mixed GT3 field?

A Ferrari, Porsche or would be fab, rather than just a spare McLaren that's knocking around a workshop?
I can see where you're coming from, but I think you've replied to the wrong comment... I was merely commenting that it was nice to see Jann Mardenborough back racing and hoping to race fulltime in 2025, which has nothing to do with a critique of manufacturer variety in British GT!

Yes, more manufacturer variety would obviously be good. But honestly, if a team is interested in racing in British GT with good drivers we should celebrate it, not bemoan that they've chosen a McLaren.
Old 12 Apr 2024, 08:22 (Ref:4204724)   #143
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
I agree Chunterer, if you can arrange for me to win the Euromillions on Friday night then i WILL make it happen....
We could team up! Lol!!!
Old 15 Apr 2024, 16:12 (Ref:4205060)   #144
SSmith
Veteran

Three more Silverstone 500 GT3 announcements this week:

Tuesday 9AM
Wednesday 9AM
Thursday 9AM
Old 16 Apr 2024, 08:01 (Ref:4205110)   #145
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:

Tuesday 9AM
Wednesday 9AM
Thursday 9AM
#84 - Andrew Gilbert / Fran Rueda - Optimum - McLaren 720S GT3 Evo
Old 17 Apr 2024, 08:01 (Ref:4205215)   #146
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:

Tuesday 9AM
Wednesday 9AM
Thursday 9AM
Darren Leung / Dries Vanthoor - Century Motorsport - BMW M4 GT3
Old 17 Apr 2024, 17:02 (Ref:4205262)   #147
v8supes
Veteran

Quote:
At least we know who will win the race.
Old 17 Apr 2024, 22:21 (Ref:4205280)   #148
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Now that's more like it!

I think it's more than reasonable for forum posters to comment on developments, whether they are as enthusiastic about the series organisers would like, or not.

Not overly enamoured with yet another McLaren annoncement yesterday, but the Century BMW is decent. The co-defending champions in sister cars for this race...

Now about that Sky Tempesta Ferrari...
Old 18 Apr 2024, 07:29 (Ref:4205295)   #149
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Now that's more like it!

I think it's more than reasonable for forum posters to comment on developments, whether they are as enthusiastic about the series organisers would like, or not.

Not overly enamoured with yet another McLaren annoncement yesterday, but the Century BMW is decent. The co-defending champions in sister cars for this race...

Now about that Sky Tempesta Ferrari...
Ferrari wise, I have good news for you! First appearance of a Ferrari in British GT since 2020, first appearance of the 296.

Alexander West / Chris Froggatt - Sky Tempesta Racing - Ferrari 296 GT3

Last edited by SSmith; 18 Apr 2024 at 07:56.
Old 18 Apr 2024, 13:35 (Ref:4205324)   #150
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see the Ferrari and some (extra) variety to the grid. From the original story should be a couple more announcements next week along with the full entry list.

Long range forecast looking like it might be wet, which is less good to see!