Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Sep 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1720354)   #1
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More RACING at the mount??? (merged x3)

Well we can hope that there is an increased possability after today's announcement:

"BATHURST'S Mount Panorama motor racing circuit would be allowed to host five events each year instead of the two now permitted under legislation introduced to NSW Parliament.

The proposed changes to the Mount Panorama Motor Racing Act 1989, introduced tonight, would significantly boost tourism and the regional economy, NSW Tourism Minister Sandra Nori said.

“In the past four years, the NSW and Commonwealth governments, and circuit owner Bathurst Regional Council, have invested $24 million in developing the facilities at Mount Panorama,” she said.

“Allowing up to an extra three races each year will enable Bathurst Regional Council to get maximum return on this major investment for the region.”

Mount Panorama currently contributes an estimated $27 million annually and 630 jobs to the regional economy, Ms Nori said."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...8-1702,00.html

How good would a State Championship round at Mt. P be!!!!!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 14:05 (Ref:1720356)   #2
bossRacing
Rookie

bossRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst......more V8 races or what else is planned ??

there is a report in the daily telegraph today that bathurst will be allowed to host five events each year instead of the two now permitted under legislation introduced to NSW Parliament.

have they got anything planned or is it been changed for future uses ???
Old 26 Sep 2006, 14:09 (Ref:1720364)   #3
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if all meets would be on full track or will the proposed short track be built.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1720367)   #4
bossRacing
Rookie

bossRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rdmdog, you must of been looking at the same website as me but got in by a minute before i did
Old 26 Sep 2006, 18:52 (Ref:1720598)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all well and good for the circuit to be allowed to run 5 race meetings, but it takes alot of dollars to get a race meeting going at Bathurst, at the moment we are lucky we have 2, i'm not sure what others are feasible.

The short circuit may be a possibility, as international standard events (Le Mans Series, World Superbikes etc...) have in the past been linked to the short circuit.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1720703)   #6
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yahoo!!Finally it's happened. Now a B24hr may become closer to a reality.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1720750)   #7
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it is great for us motor racing fans, but will it really be a positive to the Bathurst City Council? These events are very hard to finance, because you need a lot of marshals, and volunteers to help run an event like this. Hopefully though we will se a return to the Bathurst 24 Hour.And what's this I hear about a short circuit??
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 26 Sep 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1720763)   #8
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is very good for drivers who are not in the Avesco classes as well, we at least have a chance of supporting events... a chance to race at the mountain. Last time IP raced there were over 50 cars...
Old 26 Sep 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1720777)   #9
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some politician somewhere must own shares in the motel being built on the circuit.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 02:24 (Ref:1720822)   #10
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regular attendances at NSW State rounds into the hundresds of cars, each paying $300+ for races at places that aren't Bathurst, don't you really think that people will travel from QLD & Vic, maybe further and pay $500 to race at the Mount?

I think you might be surprised how many competitors would be turned away from a State level meeting there as there wont be enough room on the tack for them!!!

Did we get to the bottom of FVees racing there (Much as I am not a fan and wouldnt worry me if they werent there) as they would get a large field too.

Imp Prod alone in NSW had 70+ competitors through 2006, I see no reason for the cost getting in the way.

As for officials being available on the Friday, that might be a test. (Easter, Queen's Birthday long W/E two opportunitys, Practice on Saturday race on Sun and Mon!)
Old 27 Sep 2006, 03:28 (Ref:1720850)   #11
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has not been a financially viable non "traditional " 1000 meeting at Bathurst for 38 years (excepting the pre 85 motorcycle races) and I have been to all of them in this time.I hope the rebirth of the 12 Hour can break this pattern however Bathurst is an expensive place to open and organisers seem to have delusions of grandeur and run events with high cost structures.Even when the V8"s ran sprint rounds in 95 and 96 the crowds were much smaller than the crowds at the comparable meetings at Eastern Creek and Oran Park in those years.If entry fees alone could make a meeting at Bathurst viable then I'm sure historics would have been there years ago.I would wait to see a second meeting be a success before I would start worrying about the 3rd,4th or 5th meeting.Even more stupid is the plan of the Panorama resort owners to build a second Bathurst track in the car park which was revealed in todays Auto Fiction.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 03:50 (Ref:1720853)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would like to see a rebirth of the 24hr race.

and i would like to see a V8 sprint round there.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 05:01 (Ref:1720864)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too would dearly love to see a State Championship race meeting at Mt Panorama. Competitors would gladly travel from all over Australia. If you invite Sports Sedans, O2 IP, U2 IP, Saloon Cars, HQs, Formula Ford, Formula Vee, Production Sports Cars & Group N Historic Touring Cars, that's 9 classes who would provide full fields.

9 x 55 x $600 = $297,000. This is about 6 times what it costs to put on a State Championship meeting at any other track.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 05:33 (Ref:1720870)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The proposed short circuit certainly doesn't look too exciting. Besides, what would be the point? An "internationa' level" series wouldn't be likely at all to run on a circuit of just 1.926-miles (3.100-km). Also, given the run-off (or lack thereof) at some corners on some other road courses (Road America, Road Atlanta, Spa, Monza), not to mention most whole street circuits, not even F1 can legitimately complain about Bathurst!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 05:49 (Ref:1720879)   #15
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the reasons Bathurst is special is that there aren't many races there. I think the V8 1000 and a 12/24 hour GT race (which looks unlikely, but a 12 hour production is better than nothing) and maybe one extra smaller event for a state championship round of improved production is the sweet spot. 5 is a bit much.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 06:39 (Ref:1720908)   #16
mctshirt
Racer

New Zealand
The Land Of The Long Wide Bum
mctshirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the Aussie Grand Prix AND the A1GP round....that will sort the men from the boys it will give Webber some practise for when he retires to "The Taxis"

(and just before you start I know it's not up to FIA standard...just a dream to imagine Jenson Buttons face as he drops over Skyline and pulls into the Dipper for the first time )
Old 27 Sep 2006, 06:50 (Ref:1720913)   #17
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
I too would dearly love to see a State Championship race meeting at Mt Panorama. Competitors would gladly travel from all over Australia. If you invite Sports Sedans, O2 IP, U2 IP, Saloon Cars, HQs, Formula Ford, Formula Vee, Production Sports Cars & Group N Historic Touring Cars, that's 9 classes who would provide full fields.

9 x 55 x $600 = $297,000. This is about 6 times what it costs to put on a State Championship meeting at any other track.
Now you only need $303,000 and that covers the $600,000 track rental.Plus costs to run the event and then make a profit.Are there any more Mr Palmers with deep pockets to run another 3 events???I don't think so
Old 27 Sep 2006, 08:30 (Ref:1720998)   #18
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro
Now you only need $303,000 and that covers the $600,000 track rental.Plus costs to run the event and then make a profit.Are there any more Mr Palmers with deep pockets to run another 3 events???I don't think so
Probably not, but never say never.

Ross Palmer is responsible for the best motor racing adventure i've ever attended at Mt Panorama. So enjoyable to watch exotics slicing their groove around the Mountain in the crisp night air. I can only dream as to how good it could of been, with a full international entry with 50 or so exotic GT cars...

Maybe one day we will get the chance to be a part of something special like the B24hr again.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 11:09 (Ref:1721106)   #19
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[Yahoo!!Finally it's happened. Now a B24hr may become closer to a reality.
I heard they are looking at this short circuit as the venue for the bulk of the races..24hrs is not a number being bandied around.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1721116)   #20
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can someone point me to a layout of the short track? I am finding it hard to comprehend why anyone would not want to race around the full circuit. I must be missing something.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1721135)   #21
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres hoping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossRacing
there is a report in the daily telegraph today that bathurst will be allowed to host five events each year instead of the two now permitted under legislation introduced to NSW Parliament.

have they got anything planned or is it been changed for future uses ???
With the disaster (commercially) of the 24 hour and the strugglin, fledgling BIMF....I sincerely hope that they have more up their sleeves besides their arms
Old 27 Sep 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1721195)   #22
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
Can someone point me to a layout of the short track? I am finding it hard to comprehend why anyone would not want to race around the full circuit. I must be missing something.
The last proposal I saw had the track turning left near the end of Mountain Straight with a S bend joining onto Conrod Straight before the Chase.A very bland idea, missing out on the best part of the track.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1721215)   #23
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
This weeks Auto Fiction.

Geez Pete you might have to buy it.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1721250)   #24
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
This weeks Auto Fiction.

Geez Pete you might have to buy it.
Why when i already knew about it.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1721309)   #25
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
This link should take you to a circuit listing for Australia. Click on "Mount Panorama", and it will take you to some track diagrams.

http://ellis.v12racing.net/racingcir...lia/index.html