Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Feb 2014, 01:39 (Ref:3363096)   #2551
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Delta wing at laguna seca last year stalling at the paddock entrance with 30 minutes to go.yea it was only a four hour race but it still ended with a two lap shoot out which was a mistake,with the time left on the clock it was enough for three laps.that one really angers me because I was right there yelling my lungs out to just push the delta wing down hill into the paddock,all I wanted was to see the last alms run green to the finish,plus rebellion was catching back up.....

I think long beach might give an advatage to dps also, because it's more slow 90degree corners,point then shoot.if you have high horsepower you can put down faster you will be down the straights fast.pluss most corners are slower in speed so less aero grip can be achieved and more mechanical grip will be needed.im thinkin more along the lines of gtlm vs dp there.

I am hopeful that the GTLM cars can actually compete with the DP and LMP2 cars at Long Beach if they really want to that is.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 01:56 (Ref:3363100)   #2552
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Delta wing at laguna seca last year stalling at the paddock entrance with 30 minutes to go.yea it was only a four hour race but it still ended with a two lap shoot out which was a mistake,with the time left on the clock it was enough for three laps.that one really angers me because I was right there yelling my lungs out to just push the delta wing down hill into the paddock,all I wanted was to see the last alms run green to the finish,plus rebellion was catching back up.....

I think long beach might give an advatage to dps also, because it's more slow 90degree corners,point then shoot.if you have high horsepower you can put down faster you will be down the straights fast.pluss most corners are slower in speed so less aero grip can be achieved and more mechanical grip will be needed.im thinkin more along the lines of gtlm vs dp there.
That idiotic FCY for the DeltaWing, followed immediately by the surprise checkered flag. I think I lost my voice screaming at the TV. Until the Lime Rock race, it was a true low in officiating for the series.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 05:59 (Ref:3363133)   #2553
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
I am looking forward to Long Beach and Laguna Seca. With no LMPC and GTD being around we could get relaltivly caution free races there. Plus I don't see Daytona Prototypes being so dominant over the other categories at the tracks on the rest of the schedule.

No doubt in my mind that last yellow at the end of the Daytona 24 has got to go down as the most controversial full course yellow in sportscar racing history. I can't think of any others that affected a race in such a negative way as this one.
What did it affect though?

Everyone leading their respective class at the time still came out first.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 06:58 (Ref:3363138)   #2554
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
HPD was at Daytona really selling their 2015 ARX-04b.

They want Level 5 back in the top class next year driving two new HPD Coupes and HPD engines in their two DP.I don't think there is a rule that doesn't stop changing chassis from event to event.

Scott Tucker didn't race this year in the top class because he knew the P2 wouldn't have a chance except maybe Long Beach and Detroit.The rumor(inside source) is that they wasn't going to do a fair BOP this year,the closest they was going let the P2 to get to the DP was 1 second.(DP will always be faster this year).
Old 2 Feb 2014, 07:00 (Ref:3363139)   #2555
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They need to equalize it further otherwise those P2 entries WILL drop further.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 2 Feb 2014, 08:15 (Ref:3363146)   #2556
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"What did it affect though? Everyone leading their respective class at the time still came out first."

What it affected was the perception that the new series would be running a serious sporting event instead of an artificially manipulated entertainment event.

By luck—sheer luck—the class leaders ante were the class leaders post. So, we should all cheer extra loudly because everyone got lucky? I don't feel like cheering.

I and others have said it many times since the final, unnecessary yellow flag waved—real sports events are Not manipulated by the officials.

What that final yellow demonstrated was that TUSC was Not going to be a real sports organizing body, actually overseeing real sporting events, but that TUSC was going to present artificial, "reality-show" racing where it would gladly risk overturning the results of 23.75 hours of racing just to create a specific type of final few minutes.

If someone shoots at me and misses, I don't hang around saying, "So what, he missed." I avoid the lunatic.

You apparently would hang around waiting until the guy actually hit you. Your choice. But don't come here complaining when a team which was a lap down, gets the wave-by and then wins the sprint, beating the team which actually earned the win. You accept that outcome when you accept the outcome of the Rolex.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 08:32 (Ref:3363150)   #2557
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lots of extreme examples there. Which don't really add to the discussion.

You could also take it as 'at least this time it worked out OK and the series has a chance to adapt' and then move on (dodged a bullet if you like). Keep a concern and see how the series develops after it's first race.

I suppose that kind of approach is not in keeping with this thread, or this motorsport scene, where being as extreme and aggressive as possible are seen as positives. That's my perception of North American sportscar fans in general.

I agree that these kind of yellows should not be in the sport. However my perception of your post is that it is merely a rant.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 08:53 (Ref:3363161)   #2558
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for sharing.

What kind of posts would be expected if a car a lap down won the race because of a scenario like we had at the Rolex?

You make my point for me.

If we "dodged a bullet," shouldn't we do everything possible to make sure we don't get shot?

And when someone says, "No one got shot, why worry, let's wait until the next time they shoot and maybe we can dodge it again ... "

Dodging bullets isn't a sport I want to play.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 09:46 (Ref:3363174)   #2559
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not disagreeing with your point.

However the "Thanks for sharing" perfectly demonstrated my point. It looks like you missed the reason for my post. That overly sarcastic approach to other peoples posts is tiresome and isn't discussion. It actually lessens the point you are trying to make due to the perception it gives. The sport here isn't sportscar racing it is keyboard warrior.

As I said, I agree with your point about artificially making the race closer.

I am also reminded of a recent post by Aysedasi and it applies to all of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Thread edited. Enough. Again. Saying the same things for the hundredth time doesn't make them any more useful or clever.

Last edited by Adam43; 2 Feb 2014 at 10:04.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 14:29 (Ref:3363263)   #2560
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post
HPD was at Daytona really selling their 2015 ARX-04b.

They want Level 5 back in the top class next year driving two new HPD Coupes and HPD engines in their two DP.I don't think there is a rule that doesn't stop changing chassis from event to event.

Scott Tucker didn't race this year in the top class because he knew the P2 wouldn't have a chance except maybe Long Beach and Detroit.The rumor(inside source) is that they wasn't going to do a fair BOP this year,the closest they was going let the P2 to get to the DP was 1 second.(DP will always be faster this year).
Level 5 will not be running their old DP's (Gen 1/2). Additionally, Level 5 isn't running their P2's due to the Pro/Am setup of the team, regardless if Scott Tucker actually being a darn good driver. It would be better for Level 5 to sell their old Lola's to Multimatic or Mazda, keep their HPD's and lease them in 2014.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 18:09 (Ref:3363313)   #2561
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The reason for all this derision from all sides is that the majority of forum posters, be it European or American, prefer the European style of endurance racing. They also don't like the NASCAR and F1 style gimmicks to "spice up the show".

A lot of this venom is being taken out on NASCAR, who though Jim France, is majority owner of IMSA now. How much NASCAR actually has to do with the day to day operations with IMSA is something that I don't think we can 100% quantify, at least yet. It's known that IMSA is part of a France owned holding company called Grand Am Holdings which was created as a separate body carved out of NASCAR Holdings, but the fact that the cars involved in the Gidley accident are being examined by the NASCAR R&D center and that Jim France--Brian France's uncle--is majority owner of IMSA (with Panoz and Atherton having minority ownership stakes and spots on IMSA/GA Holding's boards) does leave it open to interpret that there is a likely, obvious business connection of some type.

But we do have to remember that we're dealing with NASCAR, who management with their own series has made decisions over the past 10 years that have been controversial to say the least. The Chase for the Cup (2004) expanding the Chase field from 10-12 entries (2006), winning Cup races, with certain other conditions met, gets you in automatically and a much modified points system (2011), and now the 16 team Bracket Elimination format introduced for this season, all were done to create excitement for the Championship, considering that from 1998-2003, only the 2002 title wasn't decided until the final race of the season.

Also the COT intoduction (2007), changes to the car's body in 2010 (spoiler), nose (2011) and Generation 6 body (2013), it's fair to say that under Brian France, NASCAR has undergone more change in the past 10 years, than under his father and grandfather in the previous 55 years. Long time fans, or long term fans, don't like change in sports, period.

Sportscar fans, though more open to change as far as technology goes, are still conservative enough that they don't want to see change for the sake of change. They see motor racing as a sport, not sports entertainment, which is the business that all sports are in today. Sports entertainment, not just for pro wrestling anymore...

But it's true. Sports are a form of entertainment, like it or not. The problem is pandering to the 18-25 male demographic, who either aren't likely to be fans of motorsport as we know it and have come to love, or are of essentially of the same mind as you or I are. I'm 27 years old (just outside of that bracket), which means that I was in that demographic for quite a while, but I was put off by the gimmicks and such.

Spicing up the show is good, but it has to come naturally, not by something that's been made up. That's where a lot of people are coming from.

As Ayse and Adam have said, beating the same dead horse right now will get us no where. And as Ayse especially said, saying the same things over and over won't make your opinions or thoughts any more or less important than they are or anyone else's on this forum. We do have the latitude for freedom of speech here, as long as we don't attack each other or post anything that the mods may deem offensive.

I won't go into the NASCAR bashing or GA bashing--that's been done to death on this forum, and we all have made our points and pretty everyone know where everyone else stands on those subjects. I also won't be doing any IMSA bashing, either. That's been done to death, and we know where everyone stands on that. Same for the WEC and the ACO/FIA.

Yeah, there was plenty of crap that came out of Daytona that's left a bad taste in the mouths of quite a few. If you really want my opinion, if TUSCC does show a pattern of not learning from their mistakes by mid-season and things don't improve at least a bit, then's the time to start to seriously lose faith in the series.

I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head saying that you have to give TUSCC a chance. If you wanna watch the WEC or something else, you're free to. If you wanna watch TUSCC, you're free to. I'm not trying to force my ideals on this stuff down anyone's throats, I'd prefer to state facts or opinions on more serious matters, safety and economic aspects of the sport being two of them. I'd hope that we all can do the same in a civil manner.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 18:26 (Ref:3363322)   #2562
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Great post sir.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 18:52 (Ref:3363335)   #2563
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as chernaudi pointed to all the NASCAR change.i hope its a good thing,nascar's has shown they like money and the fans that bring that.they are scared to lose money and fans.they have changed the cars,tracks,rules,and changing the chase again.because fans are losing interest and want "close racing",NASCAR responded and gave em good racing.

Hopfully the listen to us and give us fans real sportscar racing,that's what I'm hoping for.......
Old 2 Feb 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3363358)   #2564
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Well as chernaudi pointed to all the NASCAR change.i hope its a good thing,nascar's has shown they like money and the fans that bring that.they are scared to lose money and fans.they have changed the cars,tracks,rules,and changing the chase again.because fans are losing interest and want "close racing",NASCAR responded and gave em good racing.

Hopfully the listen to us and give us fans real sportscar racing,that's what I'm hoping for.......
NASCAR has also showed with Grand-Am and the AMA that they don't always care about fans or even money.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3363384)   #2565
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
NASCAR has also showed with Grand-Am and the AMA that they don't always care about fans or even money.
True that......

I Like how gtlm pushed back and with their gentleman's agreement for safe pit stops by shutting off engines.if this series doesn't work out and continues as what Marshall pruett calls the "the real housewives of daytona beach", hopefully Porsche, srt,and corvette give them the finger and leave for the wec.it would suck but gtlm is hot right now and doesn't need its racing to be altered.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 00:02 (Ref:3363441)   #2566
jeast
Racer

Quote:
True that......

I Like how gtlm pushed back and with their gentleman's agreement for safe pit stops by shutting off engines.if this series doesn't work out and continues as what Marshall pruett calls the "the real housewives of daytona beach", hopefully Porsche, srt,and corvette give them the finger and leave for the wec.it would suck but gtlm is hot right now and doesn't need its racing to be altered.
Haha I always tell my fiancé that she's going to be on "the real housewives of daytona beach". I would love for them all to go to the WEC, I have no faith what so ever in nascar and would like for them to get out of the sport scar business.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 00:15 (Ref:3363444)   #2567
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
A 2nd United States race and a real effort in GTLM is the only thing keeping me from jumping ship from TUSC to the WEC.

Just to clarify, GTLM had the gentleman's agreement due to safety AND because their fuel systems weren't designed for re-fueling while running. I'm shocked nobody other than Risi wants to run a 458 in GTLM...
Old 3 Feb 2014, 00:16 (Ref:3363445)   #2568
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...hoefully Porsche, srt,and corvette give them the finger and leave for the wec....
Ummm, remember, Porsche was in WEC last season, with no full factory effort in ALMS (guess they gave ALMS the finger?), and will return to WEC in TWO classes, with a few cars.

Last edited by Breitling24; 3 Feb 2014 at 00:32.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 3 Feb 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3363446)   #2569
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
A 2nd United States race and a real effort in GTLM is the only thing keeping me from jumping ship from TUSC to the WEC.

Just to clarify, GTLM had the gentleman's agreement due to safety AND because their fuel systems weren't designed for re-fueling while running. I'm shocked nobody other than Risi wants to run a 458 in GTLM...
Desire is one thing, $$ are another, and it's pretty clear that the latter rules the roost in GTLM. Heck, there was only one non-factory car at Daytona and it was a 458. If Ferrari wanted to cough up the $$ for a second car, I'm sure there'd be a queue of people ready to enter and drive it.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 00:27 (Ref:3363447)   #2570
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm shocked nobody other than Risi wants to run a 458 in GTLM...
$...

edit. +1 to cmk's post.

Timing

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 3 Feb 2014, 00:47 (Ref:3363450)   #2571
jeast
Racer

Quote:
Same. They only real thing that keeps me around fr tusk is them having Sebring.

Quote:

That was a awesome finger to nascar.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 03:24 (Ref:3363473)   #2572
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
$...

edit. +1 to cmk's post.

Timing
+1 to your +1. If we had a dollar for each +1 and we keep this up, we could probably afford to enter a 458 GTLM sometime around the year 3000.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 04:57 (Ref:3363484)   #2573
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
That was a awesome finger to nascar.
How was it a "finger?"

Rules stipulate you're allowed to keep the motor running...not that it's mandatory. They all just did something they were more comfortable with.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 07:56 (Ref:3363520)   #2574
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'd also love for them to not change tires while they're refueling.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3363669)   #2575
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
How was it a "finger?"

Rules stipulate you're allowed to keep the motor running...not that it's mandatory. They all just did something they were more comfortable with.
The point is it's faster to leave the engine running. The fact that these teams decided it was safer to NOT use everything in the rule book and LOSE time is a big deal. In a class as competitive as GTLM you fight and claw for tenths of a second on the track and in the pit stops.

I applaud the effort AND the fact that none of the teams made a big deal about it to try and throw IMSA under the bus.

-mike