Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1099163)   #26
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Inevitable really, you can't be shutting factories and issuing redundancy notices to 1,000 employee's on one hand and appear to spend money on F1 on the other - which after all is frippery in the scheme of things and as Ford says, they need to turn their attention to the core business of selling cars.

Gives more power to Max Mosley's argument that a pull out from manufacturer's is only ever a board meeeting away.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:48 (Ref:1099168)   #27
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
3 car teams means a succession of Ferrari 1-2-3s based on team 'decisions'....

I can't see them pulling out of ChampCars, they said only last week that they are happy with their efforts there.

In reality, Ford have made the right deicison. Formula 1 has been an expensive mistake, and probably done more marketing damage than benefit. Maybe now they'll concentrate on areas in which they've enjoyed success, with perhaps a return to Touring Cars.

I'd lvoe to see Arden buy the team out, that'd be a good solution for everyone. The need for cost-cutting is even greater now, and I hope the rule-makers never allow the engine manufacturers to set the rules again.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:49 (Ref:1099170)   #28
eein
Racer

eein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford as a global company have been in very very serious truoble for some time now. If it were not for the fact that they are a such a big company that employes so many people wolrdwide and have such an effect on many countries economys, it would have gone into adminstration some time ago.

Its a shame they are pulling out of F1, but ford could never justify the sorts of money that needs put into it.

Hope someone useful buys them though. Does anyone know if it would be possible for someone to buy them but still run them branded as the Jaguar team? i.e. feeding off the hetitage that a name like Jag has?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:50 (Ref:1099173)   #29
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reuters are saying that Cosworth are up for sale also, and the Jaguar Media site says that 'All F1 operations are up for sale'. Hmm, don't think OWRS will be delighted by this announcement either...

Poor Minardi, and maybe it is wise for Jordan to REALLY push for that Toyota engine supply...
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:50 (Ref:1099175)   #30
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's bad news. That's effecting a lot of teams, as has already been mentioned. Not to mention drivers's that haven't found a seat yet. Oh dear.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:52 (Ref:1099177)   #31
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It may well work out for the best - I suspect some strings will be pulled to ensure a team survives in some shape or form, rather than two cars disappearing from the grid.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1099183)   #32
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
True, the press release says Cosworth is also up for sale. It seems there are a few people interested in buying the Jaguar F1 team but no decision has yet been taken. I guess it comes down to how much the people are bidding.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:55 (Ref:1099186)   #33
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If - and that's still and if - we end up losing four cars, Minardi and Jag, (assuming a buyer cannot be found), does this mean that three car teams come into effect?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:59 (Ref:1099193)   #34
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I can't help but wonder what might have happened if Ford had simply remained as an engine supplier to Stewart GP. Granted, Herbert's Nurburgring win in 1999 was fortuitous, but the team had put in some genuinely strong performances that year and was looking like it had real potential. Ironic, isn't it, that in five years Jaguar never even got back to the level which Stewart had reached in 1999.

As for the Cosworth issue, surely FMC can't be selling Cosworth? That would be insane. Oh, wait...
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1099194)   #35
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dang, beaten to the punch

Sounds like the rally team is gone as well

If William Ford is responsible for this, you may actually see the Champ Cars engines stay in place, as they are a set spec that is paid for, and the NASCAR sponsorship will also increase. Unfortunately, those in power at Dearborn do not seem to have a global vision of the FORD brand, and can not see beyond the US borders when it comes to motorsport.

At least when Jac was in power, he had worked pretty much everywhere in the world for FORD, and knew that things like F1 and WRC matter in places like the rest of the world.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1099195)   #36
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe 18 is the minimum number of entries, so that would mean 3 car teams, which I feel would be a disaster. Bernie has a lot to answer for, no doubt about it.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1099197)   #37
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Richard Parry Jones on the subject of Cosworth.

Ford's F1 customer engine division Cosworth Racing has also been put up for sale and the company has confirmed that it is helping to find a solution for privateer teams Jordan and Minardi which could be left without engine supplies for 2005.

"Supplying subsidised engines for teams is no longer possible,” said Parry-Jones. “We have talked to Jordan and Minardi and we intend to work with them to find a solution."

From Autosport.com:
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=39769&s=5
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:03 (Ref:1099199)   #38
Burton
Rookie

Burton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As another Jag racing employee I feel the whole thing had an air of inevitability about it, Ford have never given 100% to the team. It's been a constant battle to get enough money to do anything, always expecting us to be able to work miricles with no money. How they ever expected to secure any good drivers when the talk every year from about March onwards is wether there will be a team, who will sponsor us etc. It was a good, tight little team when JYS was running it, as soon as Jag/Ford took over middle management swelled massively, money was wasted in a way many would find hard to believe. From the start of the second season it was a case of "we haven't got much money..." Now Ford have got tired of not winning and don't want to play any more. Well if it was run properly from the outset maybe they would have got somewhere! It's a real shame for all of us that work there because we have worked bloody hard to make it work. Fingers crossed we will get sold on to someone with the abaility to see through the bull**** generated by middle management sack most of them and get back to the tight knit "TEAM" we had before, then we can get back to the business of racing and maybe winning.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1099201)   #39
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see the big teams running 3 cars next season but not sure how the points system will work. to keep it fair, the 3rd car should not score manufacturers point if each team does not field 3 cars. My question really is who is going to buy jaguar? Really is there anyone who can afford to buy the team or willing to invest in a mid to bottom field team without factory engine assistance?

TWR STEP FORWARD!!!!!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1099203)   #40
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by 1200Datto27
I wonder if this will also effect the Champ Car engine supply?
Don't think so,NASCAR will be safe too.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:10 (Ref:1099215)   #41
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is the perfect opportunity for Max and Bernie to get back to their roots and be team owners, then they might have a chance of getting changes made. Failing that, maybe MS can by the team and set himself up as a team owner/driver.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:12 (Ref:1099216)   #42
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry but I'm p*ssing myself at the prospect of three car teams. Hello Mika, who'll get the third Ferrari seat? This would be fantastic.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:17 (Ref:1099224)   #43
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I must admit that this is hardly surprising and I cant see them being the last of the manufacturers to walk away - the costs in the sport are just crazy
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1099226)   #44
BIGMOUTH
Racer

BIGMOUTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm shocked! I hope some other group take over and that not too many people lose their jobs!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1099229)   #45
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be the wake up call that F1 has needed for many years. $200 million per year is spent by Ferrari & Toyota this is crazy money, the teams are too big, each trying to outdo each other off the track as well as on it.

Like Mal, I doubt this is the last team to quit.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:26 (Ref:1099239)   #46
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Sadly, it is almost $400M a year spent by the leading teams, not $200M.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1099240)   #47
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very Sad.
I guess Ford sees F1 as too much a money pit and is looking at the bottom line.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:29 (Ref:1099244)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well if they are closing Coventry then I guess the F1 operation should go first...
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1099245)   #49
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mopar
TWR STEP FORWARD!!!!!
After what happened with Arrows? I thought that episode hit Walkinshaw pretty hard :confused:
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:31 (Ref:1099246)   #50
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I doubt it as well. Ultiamtely, manufacturers are here to win, and they can't all win races. Costs have become ridiculous, and the small teams who want to race because they love racing have been gradually forced out. How can we bring in more?