Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1099779)   #101
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Jaguars will still be produced in the West Midlands, just not in Coventry.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1099785)   #102
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Not for long if the bosses in the US have their way.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 22:20 (Ref:1099787)   #103
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I listened to the full news conference at work today, and that issue was raised and dismissed.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 22:22 (Ref:1099790)   #104
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_S
From Crash.net:

Minardi boss Paul Stoddart remains confident that his team will be able to reach an agreement over its engine supplies for next season, despite today's announcement.

“Minardi has enjoyed a long and mutually beneficial relationship with Cosworth Racing over the years, and in light of today's announcement, we will be working closely with Cosworth representatives to find a workable solution regarding engine supply arrangements for next season,” he said. “We are confident of being able to arrive at a suitable arrangement.”

“On a personal note, all of us at Minardi have been saddened by today's news, but fully understand the economic realities involved in competing in this sport as it is currently structured. Our best wishes go out to all the staff involved, many of whom are personal friends as well as work colleagues.”
There is a possibility that Stoddart takes over Cosworth, the money is likely around and about if it was necessary.

Is this the house of cards at Ford falling down? The closure of Browns Lane is bad enough, but WRC is also shutting down from all accounts.

All driven by the poor financial performance of the business after Jac Nasser had a go at running it
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Sep 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1099815)   #105
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
The Jaguars will still be produced in the West Midlands, just not in Coventry.
Not Coventry. They are not moving their non-Jaguar brands (the Ford ones). The proper saloons and GT cars.

Also I don't have slippers or a pipe, but I love Jaguars.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 23:07 (Ref:1099819)   #106
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Slippers and Pipe?

Last edited by Adam43; 18 Sep 2004 at 11:33.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 23:10 (Ref:1099822)   #107
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The sun finally sets on the (once) great British car industry.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 05:53 (Ref:1099919)   #108
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is very sad news.
But does this mean Ford will finally spend some money and figure out why the exhaust heat shield on my 3 year old Focus has cracked and fallen off three times ??
Old 18 Sep 2004, 06:24 (Ref:1099932)   #109
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad, but I always felt it was a mess from the beginning with jaguar F1.

Who knows this could be the best thing that ever happened to the former Jag team if it's bought out by a decent owner. But with cosworth on the market, where will they get engines?
Old 18 Sep 2004, 08:16 (Ref:1099967)   #110
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm extremely disappointed to see Jag & Ford leave. I can understand them selling the team but I think they are mad for selling Cosworth because if they used just part of the money they were spending on the team on Cosworth they could come out with a gun engine & be a supplier to another team also Ford & other companies use Cosworth for there engines do are they going to give up on all those catagories too?
Old 18 Sep 2004, 09:05 (Ref:1099999)   #111
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this news going to send shock waves through f1? Who will be next to pull the plug?
Old 18 Sep 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1100075)   #112
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad indeed.
I hope all Jag employees both cars and F1 team find new employment quickly.

Bernie says there may be an up-side to this...ever the optimist...he says if Jordan and Minardi go too, due to lack of engines, the bigger teams would run three cars next year.
Fine as a makeshift...but in the quest for cheaper costs, would this not make it even more expensive for new potential teams wanting to enter F1?

Seems to defeat the object somewhat.

Cheers
Peter
Old 18 Sep 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1100318)   #113
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I would like to think EJ is built of stronger stuff. If anyone thinks he is going to lay down and give up, think again. True of Paul Stoddart too. These guys have suffered and beat all odds to carry on over the last few years. If EJ sells to whoever, he will still be Top Man for a few years and in the pit lane with his views. Hes a racer through and through, and I think hes known or had his doubts re Ford longer than we have. Watch this space. These people are professionals at raising dough and sponsors; he isnt going anywhere for a couple of years. Then he will retire and enjoy a beer or two with Irve the Swerve, and grin at us all. Long live privateers!!
Old 18 Sep 2004, 22:57 (Ref:1100448)   #114
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If, as is said, Cosworth is a profitable company I don't see it having trouble finding a buyer. The new buyer will then I guess want to keep the revenue flow and continue to supply engines to whoever wants them.

On another note relating to a previous post (Adams?) about the take over of Stewart, wasn't it originally intended that Paul Stewart would be running the show, but then he had to give it up due to his illness? From what I remember, Jackie Stewart wasn't forced out, he didn't want to be involved day to day anyway. It was obvious that all the following management changes just compounded the problem.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 23:04 (Ref:1102510)   #115
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's probably been said already (I've been away) but when Ford are shutting Jag plants in the UK I don't really see how they could justify continuing, especially with the level of F1 underachievement