Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Feb 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1218245)   #1
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More on Midland F1

Interview with Shnaider here

Ted
Old 5 Feb 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1218326)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that he's being so honest about his wanting F1 merely for business purposes...he seems like a sensible enough chap, unlike Dietrich Massive-wotsit.

I wonder how the other teams will accept someone like him who is prepared to be perfectly honest about the fact that he doesn't really care about the racing? Can F1 really be used purely as a marketing tool for developing countries, or is it like trying to take a great white shark for a walk on a lead?

Quote:
We don't have to be in the top four.
Fair enough. None of this Jaguar/Toyota/BAR "we're going to win the championship after 6 months" baloney.

Quote:
I've had no contact with GPWC because we've only been in Formula One for a week.
And funny too. What a riot.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1218363)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He doesn't come across very well to me. All he wants from F1 is profit, and he'll be lucky to get that next season considering the shambles he's subjecting the Jordan name to. I just wish someone who loves racing was able to enter in the current climate, and maybe show up some of the greedy self-centred types who fill it now. Does anything think Alex Schnaider could explain the principle of slipstreaming, or describe his all-time favourite F1 race in detail?
Old 5 Feb 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1218399)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Flavio Briatore had no interest in F1 when he joined Benetton in 1989 - five years later he'd led the team to the world title.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1218427)   #5
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that he could be ackknowledged for this honesty. He's saying to everyone "I want to make money from this and run this as a business". That means he won't throw as much money as possible at something - he'll be sensible.

I think it's a smart move really.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1218444)   #6
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't much more honest than that really, can you? Interesting to see Midland will back an F3 team aswell.

Shnaider may not be in it for the chance to sit on the pitwall, but he's made sure the key people who are love racing first and foremost it seems.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1218454)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Is it just me thats totally uninterested in Midland F1?
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1218466)   #8
aussie_f3
Racer

Australia
Somewhere between here and there....
aussie_f3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Is it just me thats totally uninterested in Midland F1?
yeah I think so..... anything new to the F1 ranks is interesting - Shnaider says it as he sees it - not the way the vast majority involved in the sport want him to say it.

Last edited by aussie_f3; 5 Feb 2005 at 23:38. Reason: hit send too early
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:52 (Ref:1218474)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.

Shnaider's the owner - but putting in Trevor Carlin as sporting director's a smart move - he's a racing man through and through.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 00:35 (Ref:1218505)   #10
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Does anything think Alex Schnaider could explain the principle of slipstreaming, or describe his all-time favourite F1 race in detail?
I care if he could as much as I would be bothered if my grandma could explain it. What does that matter?

A slavering F1 fan would make a terrible team boss...better to have your hard-ass Flavios and whatnot in there running the place like the businesses they are.

If these guys were in it for the sport they'd be racing maestros at Oulton every other sunday...but that doesn't get you a yacht.

He seems like a refreshingly honest sort of chap, and besides, he's apparently friendly with Putin, so be nice.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 02:03 (Ref:1218533)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We have one of those types in V8Supercar... who says they are only interested in the sport for the profit it can generate... which somehow allows this particular person a mandate to slag off anything and anyone that gets in the way of that.

I wonder if that will happen here too.... if the etiquette of F1 will be maintained by Mr Midland and Mr Red Bull?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Feb 2005, 02:17 (Ref:1218537)   #12
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Logrence]I care if he could as much as I would be bothered if my grandma could explain it. What does that matter?

Well said (I think). One such as myself would **** away the entire company reaching for the brass ring. This guy might have a chance at success in that he will have money next year!
Old 6 Feb 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1218703)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the important thing to acknowledge is that Midland is an independent team, but also that they potentially have a very good future. They are certainly financially secure.

That can only be a good thing - independent teams are what we will rely on when the manufacturers up sticks.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1218708)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

I wonder if that will happen here too.... if the etiquette of F1 will be maintained by Mr Midland and Mr Red Bull?

Red Bull got to this stage by being staunch racing supporters.

Midland have put in place some staunch racing people - like Carlin.

Nothing to worry about.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1218741)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just to straighten something out - I assume that when Schnaider says he wants to make money from F1, he means indirectly, by increasing awareness and esteem for the Midland brand. I don't think it's possible to directly make money from F1, even if you do it the 2-pay-drivers-and-outsourced-car way he is trying at first.

There's nothing stopping him selling the tam any minute - he certainly wouldn't struggle on against the odds the way Paul Stoddard is, or the way Eddie, Alain and countless others have done over the years. His presence may be no more secure than the manufacturers - although of course, increasing manufacture departures would make F1 cheaper and more useful for marketing as his team would move up the grid.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1218774)   #16
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Intersting read. I wonder if Bernie is a shareholder? if there is big money to be made, he usually manages to be ahead of the field, or have I missed something?
Old 6 Feb 2005, 15:12 (Ref:1218806)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Bernie's not a shareholder, according to Midland.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1218809)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe I should qualify my earlier remark.
I am totally uninterested in Midland F1 as its obviously going to mean the demise of Jordan Grand Prix which I find very sad.
Also I have no time for people who (have openly admitted) that they care not for the sport, but rather for their own financial interest.
So once F1 no longer becomes a financially viable form of income they (usually) pull the plug.

If Midland F1 entering actually meant that we would have 2 more cars on the grid, then that would be a slightly sweeter pill to swallow as having 2 more cars WOULD be good for the sport, but not at the expense of Jordan, its sad...

Last edited by Sodemo; 6 Feb 2005 at 15:20.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1218811)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

So you'd have preferred it if Jordan went bust and we only had 18 cars on the grid?
Old 6 Feb 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1218826)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
So you'd have preferred it if Jordan went bust and we only had 18 cars on the grid?

There would never be only 18 cars on the grid. All the teams might have to field 3 cars if Jordan or Jaguar had gone bust, 3 x 9 = 27,thats quite a field. I think most Jordanites were looking for Eddie to find more of his own sponsorship or at least an owner who was interested in the sport.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1218831)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
There would never be only 18 cars on the grid. All the teams might have to field 3 cars if Jordan or Jaguar had gone bust, 3 x 9 = 27,thats quite a field. I think most Jordanites were looking for Eddie to find more of his own sponsorship or at least an owner who was interested in the sport.

All the teams would not have had to field three cars - only a couple would - and that would be fraught with problems anyway.

If Eddie had been able to "find more of his own sponsorship" or an owner people were happier with, then he would have - it is so easy afterall.

Midland is good news, I believe.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1218849)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
If Jordan went bust or if they were taken over, the net result is the same; no more Jordan GP.

Of course if Jordan did go bust then it would leave 18 cars on the grid which could have been good or bad, it depends on how it would have been handled regarding getting 2 more cars on the grid via the existing 9 teams.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1219044)   #23
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
I'd much rather see a field of competitive cars.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 04:49 (Ref:1219143)   #24
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I'd much rather see a grid of 22-24 cars, but 20 is better than 18, Jordan or no Jordan.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1219224)   #25
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope they do have a clue....Drivers pair not the best one to start. They will need badly an experienced technical input from some drivers who knows how to set up a car....