Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Jul 2011, 09:20 (Ref:2923573)   #1
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
round 13 & 14 Donington park 2011

It is musical chairs again at Wiechers sports as Turkington replace D'Aste and therefore the Brit count is up to 2 for this race, any more Brits planning to enter the fray next weekend?
Also Volo and BMW will lose some weigt for this race
if you want to know why D'aste is not in the UK he has got other plans.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2923768)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
D'Aste is already committed to the European GT4 Cup with Lotus and will be racing at Zolder that weekend. I don't think there was any intention for him to be back with the team for the rest of the season, Porto was one-off and a very last minute one at that.

Urs Sonderegger leaving Wiechers was said to be very amicable. Not sure how true it is but it's been said he will honour his commitments and still pay for Wiechers to run the car even though he won't be driving, hence D'Aste and Turkington getting the call.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2923787)   #3
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
D'Aste is already committed to the European GT4 Cup with Lotus and will be racing at Zolder that weekend. I don't think there was any intention for him to be back with the team for the rest of the season, Porto was one-off and a very last minute one at that.

Urs Sonderegger leaving Wiechers was said to be very amicable. Not sure how true it is but it's been said he will honour his commitments and still pay for Wiechers to run the car even though he won't be driving, hence D'Aste and Turkington getting the call.
Touring Car Times have an interview with D'Aste which mentions that he will be back for Germany and Spain, and he is hoping to get a deal together to allow him to do the Asian WTCC races as well
Old 10 Jul 2011, 10:52 (Ref:2924480)   #4
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i foresee a bad weekend for huff and 1 victory for menu and 1 for muller!
podium for dalghren and for tarquini
Old 10 Jul 2011, 11:19 (Ref:2924485)   #5
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be trackside this weekend! First WTCC event, indeed the first FIA event I've been to since the Touring Car World Cup at Donington in 1994!

Whats the deal with paddock access? I'm guessing the WTCC paddock is off limits to passholders, how about the supports?
Old 10 Jul 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2924593)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I went to the ETCC back in 2003 or 2004 (I can't remember), the one thing that I remember was that the touring cars looked slow and sounded very undramatic compared to the accompanying GT cars that shared the billing. Been to BTCC races though since and the S2000 cars don't seem slow.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2924608)   #7
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BTCC this year at Donnington really was a case of too many drivers fighting for the same bit of track on a very narrow high speed circuit. Lots of energy pointing in just the wrong place can cause a lot of carnage.

I wonder the the WTCC will have any similar controversial action?
Old 12 Jul 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2925668)   #8
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be going out of curiosity, never been to WTCC so keen to see how it stacks up against BTCC. Hope Chevrolet don't dominate aagain and hope that WTCC open up pits like BTCC do.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 20:32 (Ref:2925770)   #9
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
I'll be going out of curiosity, never been to WTCC so keen to see how it stacks up against BTCC. Hope Chevrolet don't dominate aagain and hope that WTCC open up pits like BTCC do.
Access to the WTCC paddock as are open as anywhere else (such as the BTCC). Access to the pits, none at all (as everywhere else too). There's no arranged pitwalks in the WTCC, driver signings take place in front of the hospitality suites usually.

If you look at the schedule for the weekend, you'll see there's barely any room for any pitwalks anyway.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2926214)   #10
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Access to the WTCC paddock as are open as anywhere else (such as the BTCC). Access to the pits, none at all (as everywhere else too). There's no arranged pitwalks in the WTCC, driver signings take place in front of the hospitality suites usually.

If you look at the schedule for the weekend, you'll see there's barely any room for any pitwalks anyway.
Thanks for the info, that sounds positive so I'll see who I can find. Looks like it could be wet though, so not sure if I'll want to be walking around the paddock too much. :P

Last edited by Jamesy-18; 13 Jul 2011 at 20:23.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2926653)   #11
medius
Veteran

England
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Timetable - http://www.fiawtcc.com/html/uploaded...le_07_UK_4.pdf

Lots of interesting supports, I'll be curious to see the attendances and how many stay for the end.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2926794)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'm in two minds about wether to go or not. My Dad doesn't want to go, and my mate who I go with other times is on holiday, so if I go it will be a solo mission. Rain is putting me off too, plus the fact its only two 15 min races that I am really turning up for... Not sure if its worth the effort and money.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2926825)   #13
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Donington and rain is a thoroughly miserable combination.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 14:11 (Ref:2927097)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'm in two minds about wether to go or not. My Dad doesn't want to go, and my mate who I go with other times is on holiday, so if I go it will be a solo mission. Rain is putting me off too, plus the fact its only two 15 min races that I am really turning up for... Not sure if its worth the effort and money.
If it was at Brands I'd go, but I'm not trekking to Donington for that. The other races don't look to be as strong as last years lineup either so it's a no from me this year.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2927217)   #15
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Funnily enough that's what has stopped me going to WTCC before. Brands is quite a way from me and I don't even think the track is that good anyway - sorry. :P

But yeah, the weather looks like it will be quite wet to say the least. Shame, as it was beautiful weather for when the BTCC was there a few months ago. British weather, hey?
Old 16 Jul 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2927364)   #16
medius
Veteran

England
I'm going, whatever the weather. Free tickets via a Donington competition.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2927493)   #17
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
johnny99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turkington qualified 5th and 6th. Fastest of the BMW's

John
Old 17 Jul 2011, 01:17 (Ref:2927553)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Rain is putting me off too, plus the fact its only two 15 min races that I am really turning up for... Not sure if its worth the effort and money.
fwiw i was at monza for one of the supports, and it amazed me how much pomp and arsery there was for 2 15 minute wtcc races. all that way for half an hour's racing. sorta summed up the whole wtcc concept for me, to be honest. i expected the second race to be a half hour longer one or something. they're shorter than fford races!

the supports are the interesting bits, which is sad really. i think the btcc spoils the uk fans, there's so much to see on track in comparison.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2927624)   #19
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wondering, who was faster around Donington this year; Superstars or the WTCC?
Old 17 Jul 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2927671)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14175527

Video of Donington lap with Rob Huff, not sure what car it is though, its got a stick shifter...?
Old 17 Jul 2011, 10:26 (Ref:2927674)   #21
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Just wondering, who was faster around Donington this year; Superstars or the WTCC?
Well cosidering that Superstars were around 5 seconds faster at Monza last year, I certainly wouldn't put my money on Chevrolet Touring Car Championship.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2927718)   #22
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like RML have put together a passenger lap car going by that video.

Feel sorry for Turkington, put off the road twice by Tarquini this weekend. Is the Italian getting more desperate now he's getting older and his car isn't as quick as the others?
Old 17 Jul 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2927719)   #23
MikeD
Rookie

Denmark
Copenhagen
MikeD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great double win by Yvan Muller and great to see he gave Huff a "Remember Porto?, two can play that game"-move.

Pretty pathetic interview with Huff afterwards. What a poor loser. Ha can't take as he gives and he sounded so defeaded that I think somebody was close to getting his mummy
Old 17 Jul 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2927738)   #24
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muller keeps win but got something over his head for next 2 races. any more bashing into cars and he will get a three place grid drop
Old 17 Jul 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2927748)   #25
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
huff finally got what he really deserved!!! great job Yvan!!!