Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Nov 2002, 19:58 (Ref:434894)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just a thought.

I’ve been thinking about some of the comments made by forum members about my attitude to motorsport. A lot of you have questioned whether I’m a Formula One fan or even a racing fan.

So I thought it might be nice to ask you to identify the following season and drivers and then tell me why current F1 is better (if you can). (Members of the historic forum need not apply).

These are actual race results (top six) and I’ll give you the car numbers but I won’t give you the names. I will give you a clue. The four most significant drivers of the decade were all racing in this season. Oh and I went to some (not all) of these events. But more significantly teammates actually raced each other! (As you can see).

Race 1 result. 6,12, 26, 25, 3, 20 (lapped).

Race 2 result. 12, 5, 1, 2 (Lapped), 19, 20.

Race 3 result. 1, 6, 20 (lapped), 28, 20 (two laps down), 28.

Race 4 result. 1, 2, 12, 5, 25 (Lapped), 26.

Race 5 result. 5, 12, 28, 27, 26, 1.

Race 6 result. 5, 1, 6, 2, 12 (Lapped), 25.

Race 7 result. 12, 26, 1, 27, 5 (Lapped), 7.

Race 8 result. 5, 1, 6, 2, 25 (Lapped), 26.
Race 9 result. 5, 6, 1 (Lapped), 25 (Two laps), 3 (Three laps), 4.

Race 10 result. 6, 12, 5, 25, 2 (Lapped), 8.

Race 11 result. 6, 12, 5 (Lapped), 28, 11 (Two Laps), 3.

Race 12 result. 1, 27 (Lapped), 28 (Two laps), 15, 16, 17 (Three laps).

Race 13 result. 6, 5, 28, 2, 20 (Lapped), 15.

Race 14 result. 5, 1, 6, 12, 27 (Lapped), 28.

Race 15 result. 20, 1, 12, 6 (Lapped), 5, 26.

Race 16 result. 1, 6, 28 (Lapped), 3, 4 (Two laps down), 11.

To take this a bit further. I can’t think of one driver in the above championship who wasn’t there to race. Complain as they might, they all (to a man) went out there to race.

So, just because I think that Montoya is an overhyped girly wuss doesn't mean I don't hanker after the days when blokes went out there and got on with the job.

Over to the experts then.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 20:02 (Ref:434896)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
1986? Mansell in number 5 won those exact same races.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 20:07 (Ref:434902)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...but didnt Piquet win the last round in 86 ?...he wasnt No 1
Old 22 Nov 2002, 20:09 (Ref:434906)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
no..prost did and i believe that he was No 1
Old 22 Nov 2002, 20:11 (Ref:434908)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr Mallett, come back, it's not fair to post a teaser then buggar off without telling us if we're right or wrong!
Old 22 Nov 2002, 20:14 (Ref:434913)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yer....Mr v is right for once.....come back you bugger !
Old 22 Nov 2002, 20:57 (Ref:434953)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree with mr v, 86 for sure.

By the way Peter, I don't believe anyone ever said F1 is better now than it used to be (I know I certainly didn't!), basically it isn't. The only thing I ever find odd in certain things you say is your strangely reasonless dislike of Juan Montoya.

Last edited by Damon; 22 Nov 2002 at 21:06.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 22:19 (Ref:435017)   #8
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
The only thing I ever find odd in certain things you say is your strangely reasonless dislike of Juan Montoya. [/B]
Why not? We've got Liz for conspiracies, Peter for slagging JPM, Moffat for coming up with smartass comments (usually involving alcohol and/or scantily clad women), Eero for, well, something or other, Badoer and Minardi fan (and Liz) going on about how good looking the drivers are, etc etc so I figure that Mallet can complain about the Columbian as much as he wants. Gives the place some flavour.

Now, I have no idea what comments have been made about Mr.PM not being a racing fan, but come off it Lewis....Go ahead Peter and ***** about teammates not racing et al, it aien't gonna bother me.

and sorry Mr. Mallet, my anorak is full of holes like my brain and I don't remember car numbers.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 22:24 (Ref:435025)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
I don't believe anyone ever said F1 is better now than it used to be (I know I certainly didn't!), basically it isn't. The only thing I ever find odd in certain things you say is your strangely reasonless dislike of Juan Montoya.
dont want to keep stealing your words Damon.....but you sum it up perfectly what i want to say as well....
Old 22 Nov 2002, 22:33 (Ref:435033)   #10
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
always nice to be of service .
Old 23 Nov 2002, 12:45 (Ref:435250)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Definetely 1986. I can tell those results like the back of my hand!
Old 23 Nov 2002, 13:49 (Ref:435274)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
So i was right? wow, a whole 4 minutes from posting the thread to my answer, not bad
Old 23 Nov 2002, 14:00 (Ref:435278)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But, nobody so far has defended the 2003 season in comparison with 1986 and yet in that year on more than one occaision the entire field up to third was lapped!
Old 23 Nov 2002, 14:06 (Ref:435282)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Peter, do you mean the 2002 season? Anyway, i don't think that anybody has questioned wether or not you are a f1/racing fan.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 14:20 (Ref:435286)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Peter, do you mean the 2002 season? Anyway, i don't think that anybody has questioned wether or not you are a f1/racing fan.
Whoops. 2002 it is. I was asking people to compare and comment on the two seasons but so far nobody has.

Not sure I really care if people do or don't think I'm a fan I just mentioned it because its a point raised by others.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 15:34 (Ref:435327)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
Ok, i'll comment. With regards to the 2 seasons, when it comes to the WDC then obviously, 1986 was more entertaining, 3 drivers with a chance of winning it in the last race, thats what we all want to see. With regards to this year, yes we'd all like to see that, but were denied due to "everything" that goes on at Ferrari and the package they had this season. Personally, i don't care for Michael Schumacher, and to me, winning it (the WDC) in a car that in miles better than the opposition and the politics that go on at Ferrari derive from the success, so i concentrate on the 3rd position backwards, that to me is exciting with the 2 Williams and 2 McLaren cars evenly matched and without team orders all battling for "best of the rest" and the occasional slip up and that gives the chance for another driver to get points/podiums, i.e Eddie at Monza.

Hopefully soon, we'll see 3 drivers fighting for the WDC again at the last race, but until then i will still enjoy F1, just further back down the pack abit.

Last edited by Mr V; 23 Nov 2002 at 15:35.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 21:49 (Ref:435478)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Peter. 1986. Wow. What a year.

The video's coming out (again...). I bought a copy of the Adelaide final that year. Great stuff.

I loved 1, 5, 6 and 12 racing against each other! And throw 20, 2, 27. Wow.

Cheers