Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 2 Feb 2012, 19:35 (Ref:3020608)   #76
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Also, apparently there will now be a 550 sq m gravel trap on the outside of Arnage. So if a car overshoots, it'll have a gravelly moment, not a barrier-y moment.
I assume that's the ACO needing to create some 'run-off' area. Should be interesting to see how that affects entry/exit speeds if at all. Will certainly be plenty of cars in there during the week.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3020613)   #77
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just had a good look at the list and it's a thumbs up from me.

I am really pleased to see both Dyson cars on the list and here's a curveball for you what do reckon the chances of seeing Mr Newton and Mr Erdos in one of the cars? Remember there are links between Dyson and RML.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3020616)   #78
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
This begs the question: will they be allowed to run on isobutanol or will they have to run the same fuel as everyone else in LMP1 petrol?
A very good question indeed Victor. I'm not quite sure how the whole isobutanol situation would work at LM. Remember in 2010 the Drayson Lola ran on E85 in ALMS but had to run on the conventional petrol at LM that year. My money would be on Dyson having to run on regular petrol for this year. That is unless the fuel has already been approved by the ACO.

Also, could we see fuel issues re-surface with the Mazda MZR engine this year? 2009 was not a good year for Mazda in terms of reliability, since then Dyson have been running bio fuels as far as I'm aware. How much would a potential switch back to regular petrol affect not just reliability but engine performance as well?
Old 2 Feb 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3020617)   #79
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I notice that a certain Robert Kaufmann is listed in the 61 AF Corse car. And I for one am rather pleased about that.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3020618)   #80
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like Roger's highlights and lowlights. Anyone else like to summarise in that way - say up to 5 in each category?
Old 2 Feb 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3020643)   #81
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Status GP will be at LM via a back door. On the Dyson website it says they will support them at LM
Old 2 Feb 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3020660)   #82
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a question (sorry if it's been answered already I'm just not bothered to scroll through 6 pages to find the answer). How come Audi are allowed race 3 cars with the same Audi Sport Team Joest banner in the same class? I thought the rule was a maximum of 2 cars per team in one class which is why Audi's 3rd car was raced under the Audi Sport North America logo in previous years. Is it to do with cars #1 & 2 being Hybrids & #3 a normal R18?
Old 2 Feb 2012, 21:01 (Ref:3020662)   #83
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Also I'm glad to see that two Irish teams could possibly be racing at LM this year! I'm familiar with Status GP from A1GP & GP3 but who are Murphy Prototypes? Never heard of them! Either way it'll be great to see an Irish team(s) at Le Mans!
Old 2 Feb 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3020666)   #84
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_GT2 View Post
I have a question (sorry if it's been answered already I'm just not bothered to scroll through 6 pages to find the answer). How come Audi are allowed race 3 cars with the same Audi Sport Team Joest banner in the same class? I thought the rule was a maximum of 2 cars per team in one class which is why Audi's 3rd car was raced under the Audi Sport North America logo in previous years. Is it to do with cars #1 & 2 being Hybrids & #3 a normal R18?
This year teams are allowed to enter a third car at Le Mans provided the Selection Committee accepts their case. So because of this, the third Audi is a third Team Joest car, while the fourth car is the Audi Sport North America entry.

They could have just entered two and two anyway perhaps.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 21:22 (Ref:3020670)   #85
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I notice that a certain Robert Kaufmann is listed in the 61 AF Corse car. And I for one am rather pleased about that.
Yep, shame what happened to him last year - bad decision that was from the ACO!
Old 2 Feb 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3020674)   #86
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Also I'm glad to see that two Irish teams could possibly be racing at LM this year! I'm familiar with Status GP from A1GP & GP3 but who are Murphy Prototypes? Never heard of them! Either way it'll be great to see an Irish team(s) at Le Mans!
Murphy protos is the new name for RLR M´sport.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 21:41 (Ref:3020678)   #87
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I still wonder how they managed to give more entries for the AM cars...
They didn't have much choice with their WEC ruling, take the WEC cars and auto-invites out and there's only Aston's other car, JMB, Prospeed and Flying Lizard there, all stalwarts. Suppose they could have left JMB out and forced AF Corse to combine their auto-invite and WEC entry, but other than that.

My main beef is allowing four Audis, three non-WEC Orecas, Jota and Oak, but I can see that those spots are rewards for full-season commitments, which I'm guessing the AMR one isn't. I just hope this doesn't cause AMR to scale back their plans any further, because I'd love to see them establish their GT team again. Makes me wonder if the AM car is filled driver-wise, or can they drop other works drivers in there alongside Nygaard and create a second very strong crew? I assume Turner will switch to the confirmed Pro with Fernandez.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3020686)   #88
mackteck
Rookie

Ireland
co.meath
mackteck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Second time I've heard this but...
why the name change though?
also the 'murphy prototype' had a irish tricolour shown for the team nationality at the announcement - whats the Irish connection with RLR?
Old 2 Feb 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3020691)   #89
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
funding's coming from an Irish guy. Called Mr Murphy. Hence the name change.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 22:00 (Ref:3020697)   #90
mackteck
Rookie

Ireland
co.meath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
funding's coming from an Irish guy. Called Mr Murphy. Hence the name change.
An Irish guy named Murphy? ... are you Sure
Old 2 Feb 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3020699)   #91
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
I assume that the designated driver on the list Gregory Murphy is the guy with the money!
Old 2 Feb 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3020700)   #92
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackteck View Post
An Irish guy named Murphy? ... are you Sure
Haha I know, what are the chances? :P
Old 2 Feb 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3020708)   #93
mackteck
Rookie

Ireland
co.meath
Quote:
I assume that the designated driver on the list Gregory Murphy is the guy with the money!
must be this guy so..
http://www.rte.ie/tv/theafternoonsho...regmurphy.html
must have won the lorrro * or something? never heard of him...

*(lotto for non Dubs..)
Old 2 Feb 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3020710)   #94
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if the Luxury entered Ferrari could match up with any of the 4 Audi R18+'s
Old 2 Feb 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3020713)   #95
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it just me or is it rather odd that almost the entire P2 grid is using Dunlop tires?
Old 2 Feb 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3020738)   #96
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Is it just me or is it rather odd that almost the entire P2 grid is using Dunlop tires?
A few years ago it was almost exclusive Michelin.
If Michelin has stopped their P2 development, or (and more likely) Dunlop supplies a cheaper or better serviced tire.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3020749)   #97
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
A few years ago it was almost exclusive Michelin.
If Michelin has stopped their P2 development, or (and more likely) Dunlop supplies a cheaper or better serviced tire.
There have been some oddballs in P2. The Kumhos come to mind, but it's been a while since we've seen those. Yeah, you might be right that Michelin may have stopped development on P2 tires and/or that the Dunlops are just a much better deal at the moment in terms of price and performance. Are P2 tires cost-capped? Maybe Michelin did not want to provide tires at a cost-capped price?

Still, it's kind of strange that a team like AF Corse/Pecom would go with Dunlops over Michelins. I guess we'll see what the two TBDs say. Maybe there is something to what Cytosport was saying last year when they said that Michelin's tires were kind of designed around the diesels, but obviously Toyota and the HPD P1s are using Michelins.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 23:38 (Ref:3020767)   #98
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wasn't there supposed to be a Hankook LMP2 programme which never came to pass or did I dream that?
Old 2 Feb 2012, 23:42 (Ref:3020772)   #99
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Wasn't there supposed to be a Hankook LMP2 programme which never came to pass or did I dream that?
There was rumored to be a major P2 program with a new tire company (or at least a tire company that was not around in 2011 with P2), but that might have fallen through or it might be an ELMS/ALMS deal now. Maybe it's one of the TBAs or teams with TBA tires, but I'm not sure about that. I'm not sure if Hankook was ever linked specifically to the rumors though.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 00:10 (Ref:3020790)   #100
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
by the way, take out the WEC shoe-ins and the Auto-invites, and these are the chosen entrants:

P1 Audi NA - Audi R18
P1 Pescarolo - Dome S102.5
P2 Oak Racing - Morgan
P2 Jota - Zytek
P2 Race Performance - Oreca
P2 Extremely Limited - Norma
P2 Boutsen Ginion - Oreca
P2 TDS Racing - Oreca
GE Flying Lizards - Porsche
GA Prospeed - Porsche
GA Flying Lizards - Porsche
GA JMB - Ferrari
GA Aston Martin - Aston Martin

So, question is, who would you swap from there? I'm guessing a lot of those are rewards for committing to the ELMS. Personally, I'd rather have the second Pro Aston to the Am car (though this was probably an AMR request) and the IMSA Porsche to the JMB Ferrari. And at a push, the Lotus for one of the Orecas.