Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Best driver in the smaller teams?
Heidfeld 0 0%
Frentzen 0 0%
Fisichella 12 14.63%
Villeneuve 3 3.66%
Button 14 17.07%
Panis 0 0%
Da Matta 1 1.22%
Webber 48 58.54%
Wilson 2 2.44%
Someone Else (sorry Ralp, Antonio and Jos) 2 2.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 Jun 2003, 16:23 (Ref:617947)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best Driver Outside the Top 4 teams so Far?

Well, we've had 7 races so far, 9 to go, and who do you think have been the best drivers among the smaller teams?
Old 2 Jun 2003, 16:32 (Ref:617962)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber, looking strong in an ever improving car
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 2 Jun 2003, 16:59 (Ref:618020)   #3
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi. Stomping all over his teammate again. Putting that Jordan up into midfield again. With barely any car development and limited testing. And year old cossies.
Webber close second.
Wilson is doing a great rookie job, and Button seems to have qualifying pace at times but it's not converting. DaMatta... Just gonna mention him because I thought he'd do a fair bit worse than he is.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 18:13 (Ref:618135)   #4
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisichella.

He's not just the best driver in the smaller teams, he's one of the best F1 drivers I've ever seen. He needs a job with a top team, soon....
Old 2 Jun 2003, 18:54 (Ref:618200)   #5
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Think its gotta be webber!
Old 2 Jun 2003, 19:10 (Ref:618226)   #6
MrSal
Racer

MrSal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber has really brought Jaguar on more in half a season than Irvine did in 3 years so he gets my vote.
Fisichella did brilliantly in what was a flukey win in Brazil but I've been abit disappointed in him this year. More focus on driving and less on lining up a top drive and criticising Jordan would be a good idea. Still a brilliant talent though.
Wilson has done well, shame about Minardi's reliability
Da Matta looks like he has got the hang of driving an F1 car in the past few races and has outdriven Panis recently.
Button- again has surprised me with his speed. Real shame he crashed at Monaco because he looked really strong up to that point.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 19:17 (Ref:618238)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
You know how I voted.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 19:22 (Ref:618253)   #8
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm an Aussie - whaddyareckin?

He's the best driver in the worst team.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 19:42 (Ref:618282)   #9
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelH
Fisichella.

He's not just the best driver in the smaller teams, he's one of the best F1 drivers I've ever seen. He needs a job with a top team, soon....

I think Fisi is the sort of driver that would crumble under pressure in a top team. Frentzen and Capelli had some brilliant performances in midfield machinery, but never really did all that great when they got into a top team. I think Fisichella might be similar.

I think the reason why no top team has signed him is because they're scared of hiring another Frentzen or Capelli.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 22:30 (Ref:618492)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
How do you come to that conclusion YM? Based on what? Schummi had some great performances (ok he only had a few races in poor cars) in midfield cars, then went on to be the best of all time.

Give Fisi the Ferrari, and he is WDC. No doubt in my mind.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 2 Jun 2003 at 22:32.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 22:33 (Ref:618496)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Jenson. He's showing JV the way so far this season and quite possibly would have bagged some points at Monaco if not for the accident.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 22:38 (Ref:618500)   #12
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has to be webber, I mean, he is in Jaguar!!!!!!.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 23:15 (Ref:618543)   #13
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes indeed Webber is tops on my list. Jenson is not far behind however, as he too has done a great job. I hope his shunt won't hurt his progress.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 23:34 (Ref:618557)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly, Webber. Jenson isn't that impressive, he's made more mistakes than Jacques.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 02:38 (Ref:618678)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fisi. Webber has definately been very impressive too, but I think we tend to underestimate Jaguar based on past/spotty performance. Fisi's been driving a sh!tbox this year.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 03:19 (Ref:618706)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 03:41 (Ref:618721)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I voted for Fisi because i really don't know how much of the Jaguar's improvement is due to their finally resolving issues with the car or because Webber really is carrying them.

JB is a good sort and a fine driver. Certainly he has not embarassed himself or been shown-up by JV this season. That being said, is not being shown-up by JV as much of an accomplishment as it once was? Is JV playing out the string or is there some brilliance still to be unleashed upon F1 (by JV)?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 04:00 (Ref:618736)   #18
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber. He's been pushing that Jag to the breaking point every race. Literally. And no, that's not a fault, it's a strength. Put him at a team where the suspension doesn't collapse under heavy loading, and it'll be a huge strength.

Fisi's great as always, but not as impressive as Webber's been.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 06:44 (Ref:618815)   #19
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber
Old 3 Jun 2003, 06:50 (Ref:618819)   #20
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fans in Korr's grandstands are doing a duck dance and chanting, 'WEBBER, WEBBER, WEBBER...."
Old 3 Jun 2003, 13:49 (Ref:619183)   #21
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIRMAN, hurrah, ok, bit of patriotic bias, Webber is doing well, as is Fisi but i think he has a bit more to do until he is proved, especially as Jordan have a total of 11 points i think, 10 from fisi's VERY lucky win, a normal race and i dont think he would have any.

Last edited by Smokey 6 litre; 3 Jun 2003 at 13:50.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 14:05 (Ref:619199)   #22
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber has been impressive, but I can't quite see why he's running away with this poll. He has been good in qualifying admittedly, but in the races (often not his fault) he's acheived next to nothing. Irvine gave the team 2 podiums, I'll only see Webber as a total superstar when he begins to score points.....
Old 3 Jun 2003, 15:27 (Ref:619290)   #23
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say that Webber surprised me the most. I am also very pleasantly surprised for Wilson, he is doing very very well for driving a Minardi. Have to admit that Da Matta also drives better than I ever expected him to do.

I think my top vote have to be Justing though, he had basically no testing at all, did not know tha first few tracks and still did amazingly in the first 3 laps. After that the cars take over and he just cannot keep up with the other :-(( it a shame.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 01:32 (Ref:619918)   #24
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber first then Button
Old 4 Jun 2003, 02:38 (Ref:619951)   #25
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Jaguar car and team are vastly improved and I think that reflects greatly on Webber's on track performances. I think one of Webber's greatest strengths (other than his driving skills)are his leadership skills. He is said to be a frequent visitor to the factory and gets on well with all members of the team, not unlike a certain german fellow we all know and love.
He also represents the team in the media very well.
Something Mr.Irvine was never capable of.
Webber appears to be an out and out professional and skilled racing driver, and I for one am very happy he has signed on with Jag for another two years.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"