Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2004, 19:32 (Ref:986623)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 should also adopt see thru's....

..... to liven up the sport says Ross Brawn....

Well actually he has called for the fuel tactics and in car radios to be made available to the fans to make it more insteresting... as described by f1-live.com these have been refered to "transparent" tactics....

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...28210518.shtml

Good idea? my opinion is that during a race it adds to the excitment not knowing when the leader is going to pit and who is on what strategy! making this available to the fans and more importantly to rival teams will take the little edge we have in the sport today!
Old 28 May 2004, 19:34 (Ref:986626)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excitement not knowing when someone pits and who's on what strategy?

God man, you've been listening to James Allen way too much!
Go wash yer self, ye scurvy dog!
Old 28 May 2004, 19:38 (Ref:986631)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well at the moment thats all we have.... the cars hardly overtake so......

and me a James Allen follwer??? I think you win the 2004 title of "insult of the year"!!!
Old 28 May 2004, 19:42 (Ref:986635)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaalffffffffffffffffff faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*.
Old 28 May 2004, 20:12 (Ref:986661)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They should just get rid of refuelling full stop.

There we go then Mr Prawn, your silly idea is now rendered useless!

I like the pit radio idea though.....good stuff.
Old 28 May 2004, 21:27 (Ref:986703)   #6
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tranparent tactics. I agree. F1 teams would kill to know what the others are up to!

I agree that it would be good for the fans, but thats just an afterthought for the real reason. Very clever Ross.

*muffled laugh*
Old 28 May 2004, 21:30 (Ref:986706)   #7
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They should just get rid of refuelling full stop.
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Did I mention yet that I agrea?
Old 28 May 2004, 21:32 (Ref:986707)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't be good for the fans.

With the difficulty of overtaking, at least we have some unpredictability about not knowing what strategy people are running.

If we all knew in advance when all the stops would be, that would take away some excitement/tension.
Old 28 May 2004, 21:37 (Ref:986712)   #9
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will just stop them mentioning the strategy on air - or at least with less notice- ("Jenson, pit now!" - as he turns the last corner and slices off someones nosecone)

I don't think much would happen there. It should help kill team orders though..."oi, slow down so Barrichello so Michael can pass, or you're fired, more precisely we'll sue for breach of contract"...

As a result, just the radio doesn't help.

If everyone knew each others fuel loads - it pretty much means more cars can pace themselves and not bother racing, if they know the car in fronts light fuelled. Takes something away.

I think Brawn just wants to know when those Williams & Renault's have beaten him on light fuel or not.
Old 28 May 2004, 21:46 (Ref:986715)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Funny that when Sky Digi + showed F1 in 2002, the one team that didn't seem to allow their radio contact to be broadcast was Ferrari, unless it was Michael on his slowing down lap after winning
Old 29 May 2004, 02:26 (Ref:986863)   #11
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does that seem like very possibly unsafe to anyone else?
Old 29 May 2004, 07:22 (Ref:986945)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Lets hear it Juan!

According to this story at F1-Live.com, Ross Brawn has asked to open up pit-car radio communications to the public.

Quote:
"Also, the radio should be made available to the public. You would need a bleep-meter occasionally, but I think it would be fascinating. There is a whole side of Formula One that is not presented to the interests of the public."

Personally, I agree.

I would love to hear what some of these guys have to say in the heat of battle. Only condition though, they should never be penalised for what they say. If they swear, the broadcaster needs to get rid of it.

I dont want to see them punished for anything they say in the heat of the moment.
Old 29 May 2004, 07:30 (Ref:986949)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
bit hard with live coverage but for not live it would be easy to bleep language

good idea though it works well in other series so why not F1 ?
Old 29 May 2004, 07:49 (Ref:986960)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Why would it be hard Marcus?

They have radio comms in the CART coverage... or at least they did when I used to watch it.
Old 29 May 2004, 07:56 (Ref:986968)   #15
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I mean to bleep out offensive language , it wouldnt be hard to set the thing up but if its live its hard to cut out the language that the drivers would use in the heat of the moment.

I love the idea I'd die to hear some banter from the drivers but i dont wanna hear offensive language everytime something happens , I use enough of it myself
Old 29 May 2004, 07:59 (Ref:986970)   #16
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cuidado boys, cuidado, the engine noise acts like a very good bleeper itself. Actually it pretty much bleeps everything..
Old 29 May 2004, 08:05 (Ref:986974)   #17
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
We could start with re-runs of Michael coming out of the tunnel at Monaco, or Juan after his racing lesson at San Marino.

Great stuff
Old 29 May 2004, 08:31 (Ref:986986)   #18
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Different sport - rugby - but at Twickenham we always buy the 'Ref Link' radio receiver which is great.

You get a whole new perspective on the game when you hear the conversation near the action.

I think it would be very interesting. Whether teams would 'buy it' on the basis that their strategies may be compromised is another thing.

Just a thought - is it not possible to 'patch in' on the radio frequencies at the course anyway. We managed to do it at the rugger with a short wave radio - saving £15 for the box. Mind you we did have to search the frequencies carefully.

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 29 May 2004 at 08:31.
Old 29 May 2004, 08:45 (Ref:986997)   #19
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyway, I believe that they can delay the radio conversation, by.. say... 15seconds? 1 minute? Enough to bleep them all they want, if necessary.

PS: I can imagine the fun: Montoya to pits: that [beep] can't see those [beeeeeep] flags [beep][beep][beeeeep] what [beep][beep][beep][beep][beeeeeeeep]is he [beep][beep]doing!

Last edited by Red; 29 May 2004 at 08:47.
Old 29 May 2004, 08:46 (Ref:986998)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
I think most clever kids could get the signal, the issue is broadcasting it.

It brings some great info and would add to the excitement IMO. Especially when the teams learn how to use it as a tool.
Old 29 May 2004, 08:59 (Ref:987007)   #21
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be fantastic to hear unadulterated pit to car radio for sure, without the bleeping. Maybe they should present it on live timing so that people will know what they are in for.
Old 29 May 2004, 10:45 (Ref:987088)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Who needs to hear a bleep when we can hear the unadulteradted version.
Old 29 May 2004, 11:18 (Ref:987119)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's one of those thigns that would need unanimous agreement from the teams, and would mean that other teams would theoretically be able to find out their strategies during the race, so it would remove the tactical dimension from F1 quite significantly.

And we all know the racing is thrilling enough on its own [/sarcasm]

It'd be interestign to have them released after the race though, with editing the commentaries or reruns or highlights shows to incorporate them, or even just putting the streams online or allowing magazines to print exerpts, all possibilities which could be interesting.
Old 29 May 2004, 13:29 (Ref:987196)   #24
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would add a superb new insight, as Ross says. I'd be all for it. Brilliant comedy value too, especially with natural comic talents like Juan racing... and I suspect Messrs Jordan and Stoddart may test the bleepmeter somewhat...
Old 29 May 2004, 14:50 (Ref:987281)   #25
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
We could start with re-runs of Michael coming out of the tunnel at Monaco, or Juan after his racing lesson at San Marino.

Great stuff
I have it and heard it! Pit radio to JPM: "you could unlap yourself to Michael at the restart..." Bit to keen if you ask me, but back on topic yes it is available on Ducht channel SB6 - played in the background whilst the commentator does his thing.