Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 19 Sep 2001, 11:44 (Ref:148262)   #1
ABHIJIT ABRAHAM
Rookie

ABHIJIT ABRAHAM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
should jordan have run both wilson and narain on the same day

should jordan have run both drivers on the same day, narains test was nirvana for us indian f1 fans , however well he does not seemed to have performend to his potential in the wet. justin wilson tests on day 2 and 3, a straight shoot out would have been exciting .
hopefully this will happen in the near future , would be really interesting to watch
Old 19 Sep 2001, 11:48 (Ref:148263)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And also a chap callled Sato.. that'll be really interesting.. However, I think politics favour the japanese driver... which is unfortunate for India and Britain..
Old 19 Sep 2001, 15:04 (Ref:148303)   #3
timbo2001
Racer

timbo2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, to be honest i think it is the best thing to do. it shows a direct comparison between the drivers, and sadly from the day one results narain did not perform greatly. a couple of spins and a time a few seconds off the pace set by alesi in who is in the same car is not something that is good for your reputation. sure enough, its good for india to have someone like karthikian (hope thats how you spell it) but if he can't cut the mustard then he shouldn't be in F1
Old 19 Sep 2001, 15:41 (Ref:148323)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Politics = Many blood sucking leeches

Due to the financial background Japanese racers are en vogue in International motorsport, though only Ukyo Katamyama has actually impressed in either F1 or CART. British drivers used to have a relatively easy route into F1, int he days when most teams were British and the British Frmula 3 series was very much a meeting point for the best of the world's young drivers (the British guys of course go into this knowing the tracks and used to the UK lifestyle, not to mention raicng in the wet). But the way Justin Wilson has been utterly ignored by motorsport's top people all season suggests that its a bit different. My personal suspicion is that many intedrnational companies will be sayign to themselves 'wouldn't the marketing kudos of having led a black or Indian driver into F1 be great for our business among those ethnic groups?'. So Karthakain or Lewis Hamilton may actually get a smoother route into F1. I'm convinced that Karthakain is not in the same class as Sato or Wilson, but he's obviously good all the same. I think Eddie Jordan should certainly give him a go in the dry, as everyone makes mistakes at first in the wet. I hardly call getitng within 3 seconds of a veteran rain expert liek Alesi in your first test a disaster.
Old 19 Sep 2001, 16:38 (Ref:148345)   #5
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they should all just have a straight shoot out by all testing on the same day and in similar conditions etc. In my own opinion though Narain isn't in the same league as Sato and Wilson so would find it hard to break through these two on the basis of his driving alone. But would be great marketing and money to have an indian in f1......although Satos money from Honda has a lot more power! But poor justin wilson looks likely to be totally pushed out of this equation.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 06:48 (Ref:149032)   #6
ABHIJIT ABRAHAM
Rookie

NARAIN DEATROYED SATO AT MACAU AND KOREA

as far as him not being in the same league as wilson and sato note narain destroyed sato in korea and macau ,as far as sponsorship goes narain can almost certainly forget a sponsored drive india definitly lacks the money . yea pressure probably got to him with the test and i am suprised that he didnt perform in the rain he was openly aknoledged to be one of the better we weather drivers in the junior ranks.
but for thase justin wilson and narain fans there is a ray of light eddy jordan is the shrewdest business man in f1 and the best talent spotter he may just decide to sign sato and keep nk and wilson in testing slots . then poof sell thm to the highest bidder.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 08:33 (Ref:149047)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Those end of season bashes in Korea and Macau were not really representitive of the true pace of the drivers concerned - look who blitzed them all... and what he was doing this year and this.

If you compre and contrast Narain's performances in British F3 over the whole of last year with Sato's I think you'll get an idea what I mean...
Old 21 Sep 2001, 11:35 (Ref:149117)   #8
ABHIJIT ABRAHAM
Rookie

it was a well know fact that narain was not getting access to the best equipment at the jag junior team daddy schecter saw to that , a point to note is that he drove the whole of that season with a car that had the underside of its tub torn , as a result handling and break balance problems . another point to note was that sato had a works engine while narain was running with the normal engine. macau my friend was a true reflection as for not doing well this year he learns the track during qualifying by the time he does learn the track poof the session is over .
Old 21 Sep 2001, 14:45 (Ref:149168)   #9
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Besides Jarno Trulli, Jean Alesi & Ricardo Zonta, are there any other drivers under contract @ Jordan?

Does Wilson have a chance there in 2002 ?
Old 24 Sep 2001, 13:17 (Ref:150277)   #10
Doc Savage
Rookie

Doc Savage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"by the time he does learn the track poof the session is over" - no name calling please!!!!

Agreed, EJ is no fool and can see true talent a mile off. The testing times from just one session aren't the only thing he will be looking at before he makes a decision.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 14:40 (Ref:153728)   #11
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I might be the case this time around!

Eddie Jordan to test young lions (Wilson & Narain) again (source: dailyf1.com)
Jordan attend l’anti-Schumacher (french, source: fr.yahoo/f3000)
Old 7 Oct 2001, 17:07 (Ref:157147)   #12
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I so much like that Justin Wilson guy....

Maybe (most probably) he's read all the romours about Sato @ Jordan...
What happens then, he does'nt get depressed by it...

He gets more power from it and beats everyone that day!

So here you go ABHIJIT ABRAHAM, on the same day or not, Wilson beat Karthikeyan fair and square!

1: J. Wilson - Jordan - 1:25.40
2: D. Manning - BAR - 1:26.17
3: N. Karthikeyan - Jordan - 1:26.31
Old 11 Oct 2001, 21:30 (Ref:159346)   #13
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 testing times

Mugello F1 test was the last permitted under FIA rules for the year. So teams used this for vital testing of parts and programmes for 2002 cars, and for Suzuka. There is rarely time to allow drivers to go 'head to head' is not part of the schedual. Wilson and Kathekayan alternated between the chassis Alesi had used before going on to Suzuka. Both drivers recorded their respective best times in this car, being around a second a lap quicker than the other chassis available. Like Masse's Sauber it set it's fastest times using Suzuka spec' soft qualifier tyres. Ultimate best times set by all drivers present reflected track time, tempretures, fuel load and engine mapping for the respective test tasks set. In the case of BAR they only used the standard Bridgestone 'control' tyre (about 1 second a lap slower) and never bothered with 'qualifying' runs ie: low (light) fuel loads! So now you can see that exact comparisons are not really relevant or fair. eg: At the Barcelona test Wurze was 2.3 seconds faster than his two McLaren test team-mates, and 2.1 seconds faster than Ralf Schumacher in the Williams (as was Pizzonia) F1 is a complex business things are not as black and white as the times set!
Old 11 Oct 2001, 21:40 (Ref:159360)   #14
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Justin Wilson

I think everyone was keen to give Justin Wilson every opportunity as a worthy F3000 champion. Justin is one on Britain's original 8year old racers from 1987 mini-karting (he was small then) but I would guess at 6foot 3inches! he was just too tall! However he will find Champ cars do accomodate tall fast guys! Good luck Justin in CART.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 14:42 (Ref:159663)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm frankly gutted that Justin didn't get the drive. How can the Euro F3000 and UK F3 drivers be getting into F1 ahead? His height needn't be an issue, he seemed to have no trouble fitting into the Jordan and seemed to be faster than Sato. Honda have clearly pulled the strigns here, and its a travesty.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 19:44 (Ref:159787)   #16
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
It's just another sad sad example of how F1 has become a show business ran by big buck$

I was just discussing this in another thread
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=14370 in the Formula One forum the other, I was talking about Jacques Villenuve, the son of my all time idol not looking to race with his heart anymore.
I don't know, I just dont know, is it BAR unsuccessfull streak, Jacques being full of money and not caring anymore, is it the Master of Puppets, Bernie Ecclestone that does not pull the good strings, is it a big circus full of sharks and coorrupted people who all want their share of the pie, it's just to big now to see a fair environment who would have had a place for Justin Wilson.

It's just so sad, worst thing, I still enjoy watching it from time to time.