Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Jun 2009, 12:46 (Ref:2492677)   #1
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oran Park memories

Well that's it, Oran Park has seen its' last Touring car event with the running of the HSRCA Historic meeting involving Groups A and C today. It got me wondering, what's your best and worst memory of the track, both involving the racing and not a racing moment??

I'll start with an unsurprising 1987 ATCC decider involving the sister car to mine and Seton's DR30 Skyline as the on track moment and off track it has to be the 1997 Supertouring event where we were in the BMW marquee on the pit straight, great hospitality
Worst memory, same day Jones in the Audi beat the BMWs
Old 28 Jun 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2492729)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
best memory: Brocky's last non-endurance touring car race, happy/sad moment happy for having seen the greatman race and finish his Touring car career finish at a great track and sad the fairytale finish of over-all victory didn't turn out. link.

worst memory: Lucas Dumbrell's accident in Formula Ford, such a shame to see the injuries resaulting of that.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2492783)   #3
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I echo the same comments from Pro Racer. Another bittersweet moment was Mark Skaife's last race before retiring full time.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2492833)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My best memory probably happened last Saturday, at the HSRCA meeting. They were letting people watch from the pitwall (from where i witnessed David Towe's victory in race 1 ) ..... amongst other things to hear a F5000 coming past you at full noise less than a metre away

Worst memory, the fact it is going
Old 28 Jun 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2492834)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad to see the track go.

I guess the almighty dollar is most important.

Hopefully something better can take it's place somewhere else.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 20:57 (Ref:2492880)   #6
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Good; John Goss and Max Stewart slugging it out in a F5000 race sometime in the mid 70's.....

The Bad; Larko's start-line prang with the Dude. That could so easily have been a double fatal.

The Odd; Starting a V8 race with half the field in the pits 2007.

The Unusual; Getting free tickets from the local priest who happens to be related to the track owners
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 28 Jun 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2492939)   #7
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best memory - last round of the inter-club sprint series in 1999 when "the limo" (aka my E34 535i sedan) beat all comers (including a couple of 911 Porsches and a Ferrari Mondial) to take the series title for its class. LOVED that circuit..
Worst memory - living it right now seeing it go the same way as another great Sydney circuit, Amaroo Park.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2492942)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
My best memory probably happened last Saturday, at the HSRCA meeting. They were letting people watch from the pitwall (from where i witnessed David Towe's victory in race 1 ) ..... amongst other things to hear a F5000 coming past you at full noise less than a metre away
That's pretty damn awesome... Watching Sports Sedans rip by on the long circuit near pit exit- Danial Tamasi's Calibra, holy cow!

The circuit has always been awesome, trucks in their heyday were brilliant, and I suppose personally we had some good runs there last year in the Production Cars and Utes.

Least favourite memory was some time ago- camping for the weekend with a Sports Sedan competitor in their transporter in the paddock. It wouldn't have been an issue, except that they left a bottle of milk in the fridge when they raced at Lakeside a month earlier.... Talk about a stink! I think I volunteered to take over the sleeper cabin of the truck, and the driver got stiffed with the back of the transporter.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 03:21 (Ref:2492970)   #9
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking to my uncle - his best moment was being asked to signwrite the rear wings of the Ansett Teams Elfin F5000's in the 1970's and listening to the Toby Lee Sports Sedans on the track above the Elfin teams pits as they made their way down the main straight.

Worst moment for him was when the Elfins went out on track before the signwriting was dry and seeing them come in, after only a handful of laps, with the paint all streaked along the back wing and then having to clean them off and do it again - this time making the team give it time to dry overnight before they ran the cars again!
Old 29 Jun 2009, 03:22 (Ref:2492971)   #10
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best: Going so close to our class lap record at our last meeting at the South Circuit (we have one more on the GP) even with a bung rear shock.

Worst: Seeing a mate hit the wall hard in the last corner (Energol for you oldies).

Jeff

Old 29 Jun 2009, 03:51 (Ref:2492978)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two of my best memories of Oran Park are calling the Improved Production Nationals in 2002 & 2007 and trying to remain neutral when both races where won by friends of mine and fellow Queenslanders.

It will be a very sad day when we lose this wonderful piece of Australian sporting history. What would happen if the Gabba or MCG or SCG were to be pulled down to make way for the urban sprawl? It just wouldn't happen!
Old 29 Jun 2009, 07:04 (Ref:2493027)   #12
lavenlaar
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
lavenlaar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My memories of OP (being around the corner from me) would be the Supertruck series in the early 90's, with 26 trucks lining up on the tarmac... We are trying to get the series back on its feet again.
As the other person said about the f5000 zipping past you along the wall, try 6tonnes roaring past with the diesel fumes and the water from the brakes and rubber from the tyres as you are trying to photograph them !

NOTHING BETTER
Old 29 Jun 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2493115)   #13
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
My best memory probably happened last Saturday, at the HSRCA meeting. They were letting people watch from the pitwall (from where i witnessed David Towe's victory in race 1 ) .....
Race one was a 3 lapper, yes you heard it right three whole laps, my team renamed it the "why bother race"
I had fun on Sunday too, with 2 second places, not a bad way to leave the place.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2493200)   #14
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
noticed a small picture of your Bimmer in eNews i think David.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2493217)   #15
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone in his 61st year, I think I can speak about Oran Park memories with the best of them. The first time I went to Oran Park was in 1962 as a 13 y.o. We watched from Robin Orlando corner (now Shell). It wasn't the first meeting at Oran Park, but it was in the first year. There was a section of the Esses leading down to to Robin Orlando that wasn't sealed. The cars actually raced on dirt for a few hundred meters. I remember Frank Matich's pale green Lotus XIX (running way out in front, as he usually did) emerging from the dirt in front of us. I remember Touring Car races full of humpy Holdens, with stragglers like Renault 750s and VeeDubs struggling with swing-axle oversteer running at the rear. I remember racing car races full of all sorts of funny-looking cars. Frank Walters in his So-Cal Ford V8, Don James in his Citroen Special, Barry Lake, Barry Collerson, Peter Wherrett...

I remember crewing for Doug Chivas and his Sprite against Bill Hucker and his Morgan, Max Brunninghausen in his SP250 Daimler. I remember the Night Race meetings of the late '60s, early '70s. XY GTs vs XU1s, with Goss, Gibson, Bond, Morris, Meehan, Leffler, and Many More. The disc brakes glowing, the V8s thundering and the massive crowds cheering.

I remember racing a lightweight Mini Sports Sedan also in the early '70s. I remember Mr Barry Sharpe in his Chev-powered Jag thundering past me down the straight, while I gathered him in into Turn 1 (struggling with the locked diff). I remember the F5000s, Max Stewart, Bartlett, Goss, Leffler, etc. etc. Graham McRae too, of course. I remember crewing for work-mate Lakis Manticas in his Mini Buckle LMS. I also remember crewing for a mate of mine who bought Matich's original A51 F5000. I remember the epic final round ATCC battles with Jane and Moffat, Geoghegan, Beechey, etc. I remember that ATCC race when some lost soul in his Valiant found his way onto the circuit during one of those epic battles. He motored around while the race continued around him. I remember crewing for Bob Morris and Alan Jones during the Channel 7/Seiko LaSalle era in the George Shepheard built Falcon and the Barry Jones built (no relation) RX7.

That's only a teeny tiny bit of my memories. I also remember selling an extremely strong Healey 3000 engine (12 port head - very rare) out of my A95 to Ross Bond for him to put in his Healey 3000. I remember his first practice day (mid-week) there, when it caught fire, and he drove that lovely car into a dam to put the fire out - doing big damage to the motor. I remember many occasions during various practice days, race days, etc., wandering around the place, avoiding the cowpats.

I remember being invited to Supercar rounds as a guest of HRT in the 2000s. Enjoying the hospitality and the seafood, and the wine, etc. above the HRT pits while Skaifey and Brighty went on to another 1-2. Again with Skaifey and Todd Kelly, with Wally Weissel showing us around the garage.

I remember alright. So much I remember, I could go on for hours. There again, there's more that I've forgotten.

I also remember camping there for a rock festival in (around) 1969. One of the first appearances of Daddy Cool. Ross Wilson with the foxtail swinging between his legs, Ross Hannaford with his helicopter cap. I doubt many others remember that event. Jeff St John, Spectrum, and once again: Many More.

Goodbye Oran Park. It's been great. Not so much the truck racing, or the NASCARs. I sort-of skipped most of that era, but my friend and neighbour Max Dumesny can fill you in, if you want.

Now, where's the replacement, Mr Perich? You can afford it.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2493242)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
Race one was a 3 lapper, yes you heard it right three whole laps, my team renamed it the "why bother race"
I had fun on Sunday too, with 2 second places, not a bad way to leave the place.
I was actually standing just past your guys on the pitwall during practice

I was told the meeting was delayed on Saturday nearly 3hrs due to the lack of an ambulance

Still absolutly beautiful machinery in attendance
Old 29 Jun 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2493250)   #17
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
I was told a fire engine was the missing item, not that it mattered the organisers couldn't go ahead without either item. Next time please feel free to come and introduce yourself.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 23:10 (Ref:2493607)   #18
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8 View Post
As someone in his 61st year, I think I can speak about Oran Park memories with the best of them. The first time I went to Oran Park was in 1962 as a 13 y.o. We watched from Robin Orlando corner (now Shell). It wasn't the first meeting at Oran Park, but it was in the first year. There was a section of the Esses leading down to to Robin Orlando that wasn't sealed. The cars actually raced on dirt for a few hundred meters. I remember Frank Matich's pale green Lotus XIX (running way out in front, as he usually did) emerging from the dirt in front of us. I remember Touring Car races full of humpy Holdens, with stragglers like Renault 750s and VeeDubs struggling with swing-axle oversteer running at the rear. I remember racing car races full of all sorts of funny-looking cars. Frank Walters in his So-Cal Ford V8, Don James in his Citroen Special, Barry Lake, Barry Collerson, Peter Wherrett...

I remember crewing for Doug Chivas and his Sprite against Bill Hucker and his Morgan, Max Brunninghausen in his SP250 Daimler. I remember the Night Race meetings of the late '60s, early '70s. XY GTs vs XU1s, with Goss, Gibson, Bond, Morris, Meehan, Leffler, and Many More. The disc brakes glowing, the V8s thundering and the massive crowds cheering.

I remember racing a lightweight Mini Sports Sedan also in the early '70s. I remember Mr Barry Sharpe in his Chev-powered Jag thundering past me down the straight, while I gathered him in into Turn 1 (struggling with the locked diff). I remember the F5000s, Max Stewart, Bartlett, Goss, Leffler, etc. etc. Graham McRae too, of course. I remember crewing for work-mate Lakis Manticas in his Mini Buckle LMS. I also remember crewing for a mate of mine who bought Matich's original A51 F5000. I remember the epic final round ATCC battles with Jane and Moffat, Geoghegan, Beechey, etc. I remember that ATCC race when some lost soul in his Valiant found his way onto the circuit during one of those epic battles. He motored around while the race continued around him. I remember crewing for Bob Morris and Alan Jones during the Channel 7/Seiko LaSalle era in the George Shepheard built Falcon and the Barry Jones built (no relation) RX7.

That's only a teeny tiny bit of my memories. I also remember selling an extremely strong Healey 3000 engine (12 port head - very rare) out of my A95 to Ross Bond for him to put in his Healey 3000. I remember his first practice day (mid-week) there, when it caught fire, and he drove that lovely car into a dam to put the fire out - doing big damage to the motor. I remember many occasions during various practice days, race days, etc., wandering around the place, avoiding the cowpats.

I remember being invited to Supercar rounds as a guest of HRT in the 2000s. Enjoying the hospitality and the seafood, and the wine, etc. above the HRT pits while Skaifey and Brighty went on to another 1-2. Again with Skaifey and Todd Kelly, with Wally Weissel showing us around the garage.

I remember alright. So much I remember, I could go on for hours. There again, there's more that I've forgotten.

I also remember camping there for a rock festival in (around) 1969. One of the first appearances of Daddy Cool. Ross Wilson with the foxtail swinging between his legs, Ross Hannaford with his helicopter cap. I doubt many others remember that event. Jeff St John, Spectrum, and once again: Many More.

Goodbye Oran Park. It's been great. Not so much the truck racing, or the NASCARs. I sort-of skipped most of that era, but my friend and neighbour Max Dumesny can fill you in, if you want.

Great memories and a terrific post. C'mon Perich clan, go west a bit and build a copy of the "The Park". Same layout, new facilities and business as usual...
Old 30 Jun 2009, 00:18 (Ref:2493625)   #19
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My fondest memories would be spending the day sitting in the back of the various course cars as a little kid meeting some of the characters involved with the circuit (Lance Ruting definately being a stand out). Then spending the evening sliding down the hill on carboard boxes by the tower.

The funniest moment was the truck rolling over doing burnouts after the Superprix. Most memorable car was Alan Hamiltons Porsche 907 doing some demostration laps at speed. The noise that car made down Pit straight was unforgettable.

I still marvel when I would see Tony driving the tractor past in his gumboots picking up the rubbish bins despite being one of the richest me in Australia. True working class man.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2493808)   #20
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shoulder to Shoulder??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8 View Post

What Aarrgh8 said...so many great memories from a terrific circuit...I always thought that Amaroo was a little "Mickey Mouse" compared to Oran (just my preference though)...Ummmm, Jeff St John and the Id! mate!

My enduring memories however, centre around Big Pete...what a bloody fabulous entertainment spectacle he created at every appearance...and to a lesser extent, Humpy racing stars because the family car was a 56 Special Sedan (two-tone!) in the early days.

I too plead for the Peric's to take the plunge and re-establish Oran Park elsewhere...yes, re-establish with some much needed safety improvements (then, I can die happy!! )
Old 30 Jun 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2493852)   #21
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
best memory: Brocky's last non-endurance touring car race.......
I remember going to that race and listening to the police channels on the scanner on the way. Young female officer advised that roads were very busy around Oran Park for some unknown reason. Older male officer replied "stupid woman, it's Brocky's last race!"

Closest I ever heard to swearing on a police channel.

If you want swearing, tune in to the railways, train drivers leave racing drivers for dead there.

Mates dad had a gold pass given to him because he was a competitor at the very first meeting there. From memory he was given it at the 25th anniversary of the track.

Many good races watched from near the bridge back when I lived in Sydney, too hard to pick a favourite moment.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2493892)   #22
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
I drove past the circuit on the northern Rd that day, amazing no. of cars there during the middle of the day.
There were two people at the drivers briefing on the weekend who were competitors at the first meeting 40 years ago when the Singer Car Club ran things there, quite an achievement I thought.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2493924)   #23
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you'll pardon a quick deviation from the theme of this forum, my best memories of Oran Park involve two wheel racing rather than four.

In 1970(?) 21 times World Champion Giacomo Agostini came to Australia and amongst other circuits raced at OP. Every aussie rider was keen to impress and test themselves against Ago on the works Yamaha. After an epic battle, local champion the late Brian Hindle on "backyard" equipment beat Agostini in a true David and Gloliath performance.

In 1988 the World Superbike Championship was created and included a round at OP. A young relatively unknown Qld bloke called Mick Doohan absolutely smashed the field in both races. In probably the most dominant rides I have ever seen, he lapped the majority of a field made up of the best Superbike riders in the world at that time. It was those rides that made the Japanese factories sit up and take notice and Doohan found himself in the World Championship a few months later.

Now back to the car racing memories.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2494157)   #24
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Now back to the car racing memories.
Nah - bikes have just as much to offer from Oran Park as cars do - as do karts. They were all part of the circuits heritage.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 03:07 (Ref:2494245)   #25
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Park

Sitting on the hill with my brothers watching the Sayle brothers racing bikes at a mixed car and bike event in the early seventies, this led to my race and lucky number. Pies, dagwood dogs, chips, coke and chocolate hearts. Collecting stickers. Hanging out with other pit brats. Watching my old man’s 1st ever time on TV in a Toby Lee series race (Car died on the grid but I got to see his arm out the window as the field charged past around him). Watching him race many times. Watching the other drivers from when I was a kid Jane, Brock, Beechey, Moffat, Fatty, Leo, Edmonson, Warrick Brown, Gardener, Bond, Petrrilli, Gibson, French, Carter, Goss, Manticas, Sampson, Dawson... Brocky driving the widest commodore I have ever seen to keep the field behind him in the ninety’s. Talking to him and Bev in the pits at his last Supercar race in 97 and showing him an original race program from 1968 when he debuted there, and watching them have a chuckle when they saw and remembered names like Hoot Gibson and Red Dawson. Traveling to and from the track in the little coat space behind the seat of the tilt tray. Waiting at the tilt tray till well after dark on occasion because of bad boy trips to the stewards… Lapping the south circuit on a cold grey winters day on my own in a mid week practice day and doing my first "48" and did 6 of them. Racing there.

Yeah, I like the Park. We all do.