Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 12 Nov 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1152005)   #1
Bobie
Racer

Bobie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 GP United Kingdom Franchise

This is a long way away I know, however, who might we have as the driver(s)for the United Kingdom Franchise?
Old 12 Nov 2004, 22:57 (Ref:1152008)   #2
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Robbie Kerr or Richard Lyons?
Old 12 Nov 2004, 23:32 (Ref:1152054)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given that the main championship is for the country, rather than the driver, I think we may see a few different guys have a few races.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 07:59 (Ref:1152242)   #4
Bobie
Racer

I think there will be two drivers that swap and change, no more than that otherwise there will be no consistency and the every driver has a different style making getting the set up right a pain so, two drivers max I would say.

Lyons, Lloyd, Watts, Hamilton and Wilson are my five guesses.. as they will want a quick driver who does not need much learning time and can jump in and perform.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 08:23 (Ref:1152247)   #5
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I really can't see McClaren putting Hamilton into this series
Old 13 Nov 2004, 08:27 (Ref:1152248)   #6
Bobie
Racer

Valid point.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1152335)   #7
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if money isnt a question and they need someone who can jump in and do the job from the get go then they need not look no further than adam carroll.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 14:42 (Ref:1152456)   #8
racingdad
Veteran

Money is always a question - this is not a freebie series.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 18:19 (Ref:1152575)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John Surtees has indicated the British driver will not need to bring money, as the consortium who own the franchise will source the funding.
Old 14 Nov 2004, 15:41 (Ref:1153254)   #10
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robbie Kerr and Adam Carroll without a doubt in my opinion. Possibly Danny Watts as well if they're going to swap around?

Certainly wouldn't give it to a well funded/backed driver like Hamilton, Green, Conway etc. These guys will get opportunities further up the ladder due to the size of their pockets and the contacts they have. Give the rides to guys who deserve a chance and have proved themselves but just haven't got the money to make things happen.
Old 14 Nov 2004, 19:10 (Ref:1153376)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
John Surtees has indicated the British driver will not need to bring money, as the consortium who own the franchise will source the funding.
well , that is a very pleasant thing to hear for a change !
Old 14 Nov 2004, 19:54 (Ref:1153406)   #12
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aint the first time we've *heard* it, will be a change of pace if they actually do it
Old 14 Nov 2004, 20:48 (Ref:1153433)   #13
racingdad
Veteran

ah the famous 'free drive'
Old 16 Nov 2004, 04:54 (Ref:1154689)   #14
BOOSTER
Rookie

BOOSTER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
Robbie Kerr and Adam Carroll without a doubt in my opinion. Possibly Danny Watts as well if they're going to swap around?

Certainly wouldn't give it to a well funded/backed driver like Hamilton, Green, Conway etc. These guys will get opportunities further up the ladder due to the size of their pockets and the contacts they have. Give the rides to guys who deserve a chance and have proved themselves but just haven't got the money to make things happen.
i just don t see how danny watts and adam carrol and robbie kerr are doing it hard and don t have the money to go racing, they may give the impression that they don t by saying in the media that they don t have the money. But they seem to turn up to every race meeting of the year in british f3 not a cheap catergory and all the years that danny did in formula palmer audi, and then three years in formula renault, two of those with fortech and now two years in formula three. I know people who can drive real good but it s a struggle to go the local hire kart track just once in a month now that is struggling. These blokes would give limbs to drive a formula three car, but i don t see them bagging the blokes that do have the money and are doing a good job. I seem to remember a driver that apprantely had no money, who had it made being a renault devolpment driver but because he upset them doing something they did nt approve of he lost the deal. I don t see Green, Conway,Hamilton doing any of these things, there getting the job done and doing very well and they have the money. This subject is absolute **** and should never have to be brought up, this is motorsport everything cost money no matter what if the driver is not paying for it then someone else will be. sorry but thats the way it is GET OVER IT.
Old 16 Nov 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1155523)   #15
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
skyblue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody think that this A1GP thing is a little bit dodge? Surely nobody in their right mind would pay anything for a paper series? Is this guy not 'giving' away his 'franchises'?

Doesn't make sense to me at all. Hmm. suss.
Old 16 Nov 2004, 22:53 (Ref:1155528)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think our "booster" friend has the usual "aussies are always worse off with money" disease.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 08:50 (Ref:1159034)   #17
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BOOSTER
i just don t see how danny watts and adam carrol and robbie kerr are doing it hard and don t have the money to go racing, they may give the impression that they don t by saying in the media that they don t have the money. But they seem to turn up to every race meeting of the year in british f3 not a cheap catergory and all the years that danny did in formula palmer audi, and then three years in formula renault, two of those with fortech and now two years in formula three. I know people who can drive real good but it s a struggle to go the local hire kart track just once in a month now that is struggling. These blokes would give limbs to drive a formula three car, but i don t see them bagging the blokes that do have the money and are doing a good job. I seem to remember a driver that apprantely had no money, who had it made being a renault devolpment driver but because he upset them doing something they did nt approve of he lost the deal. I don t see Green, Conway,Hamilton doing any of these things, there getting the job done and doing very well and they have the money. This subject is absolute **** and should never have to be brought up, this is motorsport everything cost money no matter what if the driver is not paying for it then someone else will be. sorry but thats the way it is GET OVER IT.
Well firstly, do they not teach you about paragraphs over in Aus Booster?

Yes guys like Kerr, Carroll, Watts etc might be able to turn up at every British F3 round but paying for an F3 ride is one thing, paying for a drive in GP2, World Series etc is a different matter as it costs twice as much! If your struggling to fund a British campaign then your certainly going to be struggling funding a category that's costing you twice as much!

The RDD Scheme is probably the most over hyped scheme I've ever heard of! Yes it does pay for drivers to be on the grid but apart from that just how many have progressed on? Montagny didn't even get a look in for the last 3 races despite dominating the world series in 2003 and having tested for Renault all year. Bourdais was shipped off to the US, Kovalainen hasn't even had a mention for an F1 ride and drivers such as Di Grassi etc will have their rides funded up to World Series level before they'll reach the Renault dead end as well!

I'm not a big fan of this A1 GP series but if it gives the underfunded drivers like Kerr, Carroll etc the chance to show their skills on a much more international stage and have their talents recognised by the right people then that can only be a good thing.

I'm not saying Green, Conway etc are any less talented or don't deserve a chance. Anyone that reads my posts will note a rate this drivers in the highest regard its just these guys will have their chances further up the ladder as the fundings there.