Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2003, 03:48 (Ref:664544)   #1
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Budweiser Williams

Now the worst keep sponsorship secret is out,if Ralf wins on Sunday will he spray the champagne or crack open a 6 packs of Buds on the podium?.
As a mute point alcohol kills and injures more people than smoking so how long before beer ads go the same way as fag ads at F1?.
Attached Thumbnails
wiser.jpg  
Old 18 Jul 2003, 04:46 (Ref:664560)   #2
BMW V10
Rookie

BMW V10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alcohol and tobacco are completely different things. Cig companies lied about the effects of smoking and smoking has chemicals in it to make it addictive. I am indifferent that tobacco sponsorship is going away; F1 teams need all the sponsors they can get but BMW doesn't rely on it so it is ok with me. Yes I know that I am strongly biased. I never plan on smoking but I don't mind tobacco companies advertising as it helps F1 and I am old enough to make my own decisions. But it is absolutely terrible that they often target children. I think that this is a very interesting thread and I respect and understand how many people think tobacco companies shouldn't be allowed to advertise at all. I have never been very close to anybody who has suffered from a life of smoking. hehe anyways I do not see the alcohol advertising leaving anytime soon sorry for the long post
Old 18 Jul 2003, 06:14 (Ref:664586)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the moment i dont think F1 has a choice because not many companies are ready to sponsor F1 . Cars moving so fast that sponsors dont get enough exposure so they arent ready to dish out hugh sums of money . If the FIA bans tobacco sponsoring then teams like JORDAN will surely collapse because that is their main sponsor gone . A team like Ferrari could easily find a new sponsor but who would give hugh sums to a 'back of the row' team like Jordan .
So at the moment i think the FIA dont have a choice but to agree with tobacco sponsoring otherwise we could lose a few teams.
F1 is not the most popular sport and it needs all the sponsors it can get .
I think Bernie has given teams till 2006 to find new sponsors .
Old 18 Jul 2003, 06:49 (Ref:664596)   #4
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is also worth noting that smoking even in moderation can cause Cancer. Drinking alcohol in moderation is harmless and there is some research that shows it can actually be beneficial. In the case of tobacco its the smoke that does the damage in the case of alcohol its the peoples choice to abuse it that does the damage by either drinking far too much or choosing to drive afterwards.

I expect the main critisim of this could be the asociation with cars, perhaps a "Don't Drink and Drive" Logo should also appear on the car
Old 18 Jul 2003, 07:36 (Ref:664617)   #5
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A warning on both wouldnt be all that bad, it would of course help the governments who are trying to create awareness on the two such goods.

But then again, tobacco and alcohol companies would probably take their business elsewhere.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 07:39 (Ref:664618)   #6
eein
Racer

eein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Smoking kills through the intended use of it.

Alcohol only kills through the misuse of it.

Ferrari advertise Ferrari cars - they kill through misuse. Should we ban Ferrari?

Iain
Old 18 Jul 2003, 08:00 (Ref:664626)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually too many things may cause death: attending daily a McDonald's store and eating hamburgs,would certainly do, but we cannot ban hamburgs.
And the list can be longer, cell phones, TV, PC: all imply high emissions of radiations; the same for sunbathing...

I think it's clear what I mean
Old 18 Jul 2003, 08:04 (Ref:664627)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off topic, but i grew up watching cars sponsered by Marlboro, Winfield, Peter Jackson, JPS, Benson & Hedges etc.....did i once ever think i'll try smoking? No....

What is the difference between seeing Cigarettes advertised on the side of the car, and cigarettes staring you in the face when you pay at the gas station?

Are Williams keeping their White and Blue only livery?
Old 18 Jul 2003, 10:31 (Ref:664742)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They have to, to please BMW.

Iain's point more or less somes up my thoughts on advertising too..
Old 18 Jul 2003, 10:36 (Ref:664748)   #10
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
They have to, to please BMW.

Actually, the team is BMW Williams and BMW pay all the bills and thus it is BMW who sell the sponsorship spave...
Old 18 Jul 2003, 10:49 (Ref:664753)   #11
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
You think BMW would have got a decent German beer maker for a sponsor then.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:15 (Ref:664810)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, let the blue-white BMW rule. I think Budweiser will be just a tiny spot over driver's names.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:21 (Ref:664821)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Stolen from the other thread on this topic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Adam43; 18 Jul 2003 at 12:21.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:28 (Ref:664830)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Beer is male gender ? King ?

Last edited by Bononi; 18 Jul 2003 at 12:30.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:52 (Ref:664854)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why do they even think it's the "king of beers"?

It's not hard being the bestselling beer in the world in a country with 300+ million inhabitants...

Oh, i miss the GT... *sobs*

Last edited by ASCII Man; 18 Jul 2003 at 12:53.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:54 (Ref:664855)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
It's not hard being the bestselling beer in the world in a country with 300+ million inhabitants...
I would have thought it is. It is not hard to sell a lot in a country with 300+ million, but it is hard to sell more than anyone else.

Nevertheless a big company gettin in with Williams. Is this a long term plan or to see what it is like in F1?

Last edited by Adam43; 18 Jul 2003 at 12:55.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:56 (Ref:664858)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess the low key sponsoring is a probing mission, see what effect it has on sales and everything.

If it's bang for their buck, they'll certainly consider going for a title sponsorship.

But it certainly wouldn't make me want to go out and drink their sewage water...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 18 Jul 2003 at 12:58.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 13:11 (Ref:664865)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few of the threads given here have said that they believe alchohol advertisements will never be banned like the tobacco ads are now.

Well never say never! I'm old enough to remember when hard alchohol(whiskey, scotch, vodka, etc.) were advertised regularly on TV and at sporting events. Well they've been banned for years now, at least in the U.S.,so theres no guaranty that the same won't happen to beer and wine ads.

Lets hope not!

Danica Patrick
Old 18 Jul 2003, 13:19 (Ref:664881)   #19
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thank goodness hard liquor was advertised on late ight Tv on saturday night Live a year or so ago, at least that might come back, but banning alcohol ads may lead to another prohibitiona as mentioned in the other thread of this name, and well we konw how well that worked...
Old 18 Jul 2003, 13:40 (Ref:664912)   #20
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Budweiser is the King of Beers because they say they are. Yes, they're the biggest selling beer in No. America, but you won't get me to say it's any good. Nobody outside of Asia should use rice as an ingredient in beer!

However, Anheuser-Busch (maker of Bud, and others) has long been a huge supporter of motorsport. As such, I welcome their participation in F1, even if I can't stomach their product. For those of you that can get it, Michelob is one of their few brews I'll drink if there's no alternative. If you want to support them, give it a try...but don't blame me if you spew!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"-Ben Franklin
Old 18 Jul 2003, 14:12 (Ref:664956)   #21
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
budweiser is cheap, maybe next to miller as the cheapest and easiest to drink ice cold and when its hot. I like my beer at ambient, maybe a scooch milder, and it better taste like VB
Old 18 Jul 2003, 14:26 (Ref:664971)   #22
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Beer is male gender ? King ?
Not in Germany. Warsteiner - mmmm - is advertised as "a Queen among beers".
Old 18 Jul 2003, 15:18 (Ref:665011)   #23
BMW V10
Rookie

BMW V10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am American and live over here but I am always willing to pay the extra money for heinekin. Hehe once i drank a couple of those and then had a bud light and it tasted like water. American beers are made for chugging and getting drunk as quick and as possible
Old 18 Jul 2003, 16:54 (Ref:665082)   #24
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we're seeing, in the future, the Miller Time Ferrari.
Marlboro = Philip Morris = Miller

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 18 Jul 2003, 17:30 (Ref:665100)   #25
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 429CJ
Maybe we're seeing, in the future, the Miller Time Ferrari.
Marlboro = Philip Morris = Miller
There is no more Philip Morris. They sold off all their foodstuffs to Nabisco and changed their name to the Altea Consumer Group. The Miller Brewing Company has no connection with Marlboro.