Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jun 2009, 02:13 (Ref:2490181)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
2010 Engines T.B.A.

While looking at the latest Entry list for 2010 I noticed The 2 Red Bull teams and Brawn don't have an engine contract next season. I assume that's because they are not contracted to anyone yet, but is movement likely?

Brawn are obviously happy (even if Macca aren't), RBR seem to have stopped complaining about the Renault donk this year and STR don't have many options.

What's the likely senario with these guys? Is Cosworth an option at 20,000 RPM?
Old 25 Jun 2009, 07:00 (Ref:2490240)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think all 3 will stay where they are. With regards to Cosworth, aren't they supplying all 3 of the new teams? Not sure they'd have the capacity for a 4th (STR).
Old 25 Jun 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2490312)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
There is the option of new teams running 'third cars' (see BBCs Luca vid http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8117712.stm ),which then takes away a bit of pressure from 'Cossie'.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2490410)   #4
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Red Bull were considering switching to Mercedes for next season
Old 25 Jun 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2490418)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mercedes are so closely tied in with McLaren that I can't see them wanting to supply a team which is humiliating the works team at present. It depends on how promising their respective 2010 cars look in a few months, but Brawn might have to find an alternate partner. Renault's engines are good enough for Red Bull now, and Ferrari suit Toro Rosso's branding pretty well, so I don't see those two changing.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2490521)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post
Mercedes are so closely tied in with McLaren that I can't see them wanting to supply a team which is humiliating the works team at present.
I thought Mercedes-Benz were supplying engines to Brawn GP.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 18:13 (Ref:2490588)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think Mercedes will stop supplying Brawn because they are beating McLaren if that is the suggestion. It seems Mercedes want to supply customer teams, to keep High Performance engines ticking over. And better to supply Brawn than, er, Force India. Mercedes have also got behind the need to supply other teams too.

Red Bull are very happy with the Renault, much of the deficencies of the engine have gone away after the upgrades.

I suspect that neither of these top two (!) teams will change.

The new boys, well we shall see how that pans out, but the Cossie looks good for them.

Are we going back to 20,000rpm, is that decided now? Or has it been lost in the last round of changes?
Old 25 Jun 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2490631)   #8
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Maybe Aston Martin can supply one of those teams. It's the only way Richards will be involved in F1 now that the door has been shut
Old 25 Jun 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2490634)   #9
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Maybe Honda supplies just the engines for Brawn. That would be good for F1
Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2490656)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Wow, a thread that actually is interesting! Have I traveled back in time to the 10-10th's of years past?

Anyhow I think Mercedes will supply engines to both Red Bull and Brawn for next year. When does the McLaren Mercedes deal end?

It was a rumour that this was the reason Red Bull were siding with FOTA, rather than Max and his Cosworth standardized engine joke. Not sure about the other ones.

Adam, I thought they lost the 20k rpm in the last round of changes. Anyhow, who knows what Max agreed to when Luca, and the rest of FOTA blackmailed him earlier this week.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2490669)   #11
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might it be possible that Red Bull Industries want the same engines for their two teams? How about a Toro Rosso-Renault?
Old 25 Jun 2009, 22:49 (Ref:2490740)   #12
Scotracer
Rookie

Scotland
West Lothian
Scotracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Maybe Honda supplies just the engines for Brawn. That would be good for F1
They would need some serious work. That engine was horrendous - did sound awesome though
Old 25 Jun 2009, 23:09 (Ref:2490748)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Was it not the car design that was fundimentally flawed and not the engine, as such..?

Selby
Old 26 Jun 2009, 00:55 (Ref:2490784)   #14
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Was it not the car design that was fundimentally flawed and not the engine, as such..?

Selby
Both BGP drivers commented on how smooth and predictable the Mercedes engine is compared to their prior Honda unit.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 01:27 (Ref:2490793)   #15
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
There is the option of new teams running 'third cars' (see BBCs Luca vid http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8117712.stm ),which then takes away a bit of pressure from 'Cossie'.
And given that Ferrari have made noises about keeping both their drivers for another year, it also gives a potential opportunity for Alonso to move to Ferrari next year.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 04:04 (Ref:2490817)   #16
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Cosworth donks - as they are using "2006" designed engines they are going to be slower and thirstier than the newer designed engines so talks are continuing as to what RPM limit will be imposed to ensure some competiveness. Cosworth aparently are not going to design a new engine due to time available.

Mercedes will supply anyone as long as they get money for them... Plus they were the first to offer cheaper engines back when new teams were bandied about by the FIA (which only Dave Richards accepted and then rejected when customer cars where ditched.)
Old 26 Jun 2009, 07:12 (Ref:2490865)   #17
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Mercedes will continue to supply Force India. It's an important deal for F1's true minnows of today, because some McLaren personnel are now working with it to improve competitiveness and results. This is not just hiring a powerplant, like it would from Ferrari or even Cosworth, but a concerted effort to aid Force India's development in Formula One. Dr Mallya won't let this deal fall apart.

As for the rest - who knows? Cosworth engines are linked to the three newcomers, but if I had a team and needed a new engine, I'd probably be looking at a technical partnership with BMW. Perhaps I could even score a free driver in Nick Heidfeld!
Old 26 Jun 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2491019)   #18
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's just as well for Nick the races are on a Sunday.

I think Brawn will want to keep the merc engine, it has proven itself without doubt and as long as Ross can still pay the bills I'm sure MB will be fine with it too.

With the customer elements coming in I imagine both red bull teams would be able to be all but identical including engine so I could see that happening too.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2491033)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post

Are we going back to 20,000rpm, is that decided now? Or has it been lost in the last round of changes?
It has been lost in the last round of changes.Part of the err...last agreement was that the teams would compete with the same rules.But anything can happen between now and next March!