Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Aug 2010, 05:01 (Ref:2738568)   #2501
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Do you know why some companies are turning the corner (on paper)? Because they are not spending any money! They are not hiring and are working the **** out of their remaining employees to keep overhead low. Those of us that are lucky to be working right now are wearing down. Those that aren't as lucky are jealous. Things still suck.
And the fact they are selling down inventory on top of that!

L.P.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 05:11 (Ref:2738572)   #2502
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
What's the easiest way to identify the sane & rational people on boards like this?

When the ostriches all call them a "troll".

FWIW: the term "troll" is in regards to a fishing reference, you guys can't even get that right.
No a troll is a mythical creature that lives under bridges and exacts tolls from those who wish to cross. 'Don't feed the trolls' is not a reference to fishing but rather to not paying the fare demanded by the troll and engaging in meaningless back and forth. It is not someone who casts out a line and hopes for a nibble. It refers to someone who actively engages in contrary discussion merely to win a point, especially when the point may have nothing to do with the current discussion.
Now pay me before you cross my bridge.
dh
Old 3 Aug 2010, 05:26 (Ref:2738577)   #2503
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
No a troll is a mythical creature that lives under bridges and exacts tolls from those who wish to cross. 'Don't feed the trolls' is not a reference to fishing but rather to not paying the fare demanded by the troll and engaging in meaningless back and forth. It is not someone who casts out a line and hopes for a nibble. It refers to someone who actively engages in contrary discussion merely to win a point, especially when the point may have nothing to do with the current discussion.
Now pay me before you cross my bridge.
dh
Either definition works, let it go.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 14:53 (Ref:2738807)   #2504
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
Either definition works, let it go.
Mr. Riebe is correct everybody else skip class? Troll in this context is a double entendre, look it up. Now back to arguing about motorsport…
Old 3 Aug 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2738916)   #2505
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As it happens, Dave's reference is exactly on the money as far as I'm concerned.

So yes, let's argue about motorsport, that sounds great to me....
Old 3 Aug 2010, 19:09 (Ref:2738938)   #2506
Fizz
Rookie

Canada
Toronto Canada
Fizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't what you guys in the States see for ALMS advertising but up here in Canada you get little to nothing. I work in the construction industry (and yes our banks have kept things quite busy up here) which is mostly comprised of immigrants from Europe and or their children, most of which have never heard of the ALMS, but they have all heard about the Indy and F1, and Le LeMans in any form is some vag notion. Indy comes to town and its all over the news and talk radio, even the Evening news covers the race results. ALMS and the local news? They don't bother to cover it because almost NO ONE in Canada knows what the hell it is, thus it's not news worthy. This year will be my 4th year going to Mosport for the ALMS and the irony is when I bought my tickets back in 2007 I thought I was going to a Can Am race (which I attended once before as a little kid), I saw these fancy cars on the Mosprt home page and bought tickets. And what a great time my Son and I had. After that I was hooked and began to read up on the series. Now I regularely come to this web site and a few others and you know what I've learned, Ignorance is Bliss. If ALMS wants more people to get into their brand of racing they have to advertise it more. Canada is an untapped market. So many of us go back to Mosport every year because we are really into racing and ALMS is all we have here (quite frankly the Honda Indy sucked-sorry guys but it's the trueth).
Canada for the next stop on the International Cup!
Old 3 Aug 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2738989)   #2507
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
I don't what you guys in the States see for ALMS advertising but up here in Canada you get little to nothing. I work in the construction industry (and yes our banks have kept things quite busy up here) which is mostly comprised of immigrants from Europe and or their children, most of which have never heard of the ALMS, but they have all heard about the Indy and F1, and Le LeMans in any form is some vag notion. Indy comes to town and its all over the news and talk radio, even the Evening news covers the race results. ALMS and the local news? They don't bother to cover it because almost NO ONE in Canada knows what the hell it is, thus it's not news worthy. This year will be my 4th year going to Mosport for the ALMS and the irony is when I bought my tickets back in 2007 I thought I was going to a Can Am race (which I attended once before as a little kid), I saw these fancy cars on the Mosprt home page and bought tickets. And what a great time my Son and I had. After that I was hooked and began to read up on the series. Now I regularely come to this web site and a few others and you know what I've learned, Ignorance is Bliss. If ALMS wants more people to get into their brand of racing they have to advertise it more. Canada is an untapped market. So many of us go back to Mosport every year because we are really into racing and ALMS is all we have here (quite frankly the Honda Indy sucked-sorry guys but it's the trueth).
I have seen the occasional magazine ad, of course it was in a car magazine... I have seen a billboard or two around atlanta in the fall before petit as well, but that is about it for advertising.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 20:57 (Ref:2739012)   #2508
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Sounds like ALMS and LMS have more in common than I thought.

For a series that doesn't try very hard, I guess they assume we're desperate and have no other choices. This is the same thing Indy Car is assuming and its core fan base.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 22:20 (Ref:2739083)   #2509
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely nothing. I live an hour and a half away from the site of one of the biggest races on the calendar, and not so much as a billboard on I-75 springs up. Racing doesn't seem to be nearly as popular here.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2740649)   #2510
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Any news on the ALMS' "big news" that was to come this weekend according to Dagys?
Old 6 Aug 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2740686)   #2511
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Any news on the ALMS' "big news" that was to come this weekend according to Dagys?
Where did you see this? Are you sure he wasn't referring to the Roush-Yates announcement?
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2740691)   #2512
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82 View Post
Where did you see this? Are you sure he wasn't referring to the Roush-Yates announcement?

L.P.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2740701)   #2513
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, it either had to have had something to do with a car maker, and I narrowed it down to Audi or Ford. No Audi (as of now and it seems unlikely) doing ALMS races before PLM, but at least Ford wants to supply engines to LMP2 and perhaps LMP1 at some point (based off of ACO rules proposals for 2011), but in a previous post, Lane brings up a point.

Roush-Yates is evalulating a 5.0 V8 (either the Cammer of the 5.0 Mustang production engine) as a future LMP stock block engine. Where would that fit in, since the ACO's poposed rules allow for 5.0 NA stock block V8s in LMP2, and where would it fit if IMSA keeps LMP1 and LMP2 combined into a single class for next year? A customer option?

Granted, this is ahead of the 2010 season (aside from the Roush-Yates/Ford Racing announcment), but with the Nissan powered Radical racing this weekend, would IMSA stop someone from running one of these engines (the EcoBoost V6 of the 5.0 V8) to prepare for 2011 if they become avilable?

I was hoping for an Audi announcemnt, but Dearborn is a lot closer to Mid Ohio than Inglostadt is, and finally Ford is in the ALMS as a manufacturer (unless you count the Ford GTs, which I believe got little if any direct support from Ford).
Old 6 Aug 2010, 23:04 (Ref:2740720)   #2514
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Well, it either had to have had something to do with a car maker, and I narrowed it down to Audi or Ford. No Audi (as of now and it seems unlikely) doing ALMS races before PLM, but at least Ford wants to supply engines to LMP2 and perhaps LMP1 at some point (based off of ACO rules proposals for 2011), but in a previous post, Lane brings up a point.

Roush-Yates is evalulating a 5.0 V8 (either the Cammer of the 5.0 Mustang production engine) as a future LMP stock block engine. Where would that fit in, since the ACO's poposed rules allow for 5.0 NA stock block V8s in LMP2, and where would it fit if IMSA keeps LMP1 and LMP2 combined into a single class for next year? A customer option?

Granted, this is ahead of the 2010 season (aside from the Roush-Yates/Ford Racing announcment), but with the Nissan powered Radical racing this weekend, would IMSA stop someone from running one of these engines (the EcoBoost V6 of the 5.0 V8) to prepare for 2011 if they become avilable?

I was hoping for an Audi announcemnt, but Dearborn is a lot closer to Mid Ohio than Inglostadt is, and finally Ford is in the ALMS as a manufacturer (unless you count the Ford GTs, which I believe got little if any direct support from Ford).
Ford has been looking for away into ALMS for awhile. It modified a FR500 GT3 car but I guess didn't prove worthy. However Marc VDS and Multimatic have installed a IRS on that Mustang and before the legality issues, was on pace at Jarama. They had an issue with the ABS at Bruno which had the cars right at the back of the GT3 field.

The Hurricane as I mentioned in the other thread is the current Mustang engine, not the "Cammer" which was based on the previous generation. This engine was built to challenge the Chrysler Hemi, mainly for Trucks. Has an Iron Block but has direct lineage to the previous Modular V8 as its Modular as well.

I think the Ecoboost will be the engine of choice because its proven to make excellent low speed torque at moderate boost levels. Some of that is the higher compression ratio allowed because of Gasoline Direct Fuel Injection.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2740730)   #2515
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
The Ford 5.0 Mustang engine is called the Coyote by Ford and is a direct derivitive of the Mod motor family, but with a heavily revised aluminum block compared to the 5.0 Cammer's(which is a bored out 4.6 aluminum block): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Co....C2.A0L_Coyote
Old 7 Aug 2010, 00:12 (Ref:2740739)   #2516
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82 View Post
I thought it [News] was supposed to be related to the GTC class.

Edit: Here is his quote:

Quote:
Just spoke with IMSA's Scot Elkins. Some interesting comments about future of #ALMS GTC. Story coming later this weekend.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 06:54 (Ref:2741255)   #2517
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Hopefully GTC will be changed to a full open GT3 class
Old 9 Aug 2010, 23:59 (Ref:2742212)   #2518
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The entry list for the Road America Race is up and it looks very similar to Mid-Ohio. Libra is on the list as is Muscle Milk and Risi has the second car for Salo/Kaffer this time.

http://www.imsaracing.net/2010/event...ica%202010.pdf

DK
Old 10 Aug 2010, 01:07 (Ref:2742233)   #2519
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
The entry list for the Road America Race is up and it looks very similar to Mid-Ohio. Libra is on the list as is Muscle Milk and Risi has the second car for Salo/Kaffer this time.

http://www.imsaracing.net/2010/event...ica%202010.pdf

DK
Ha! I knew it would be Kaffer and Salo! There's not another International GT Open race until Sept. Fishi and Toni will be at the Hungaroring with LMS and AF Corsa.

That leaves Salo and Kaffer...
Old 10 Aug 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2742632)   #2520
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
Ha! I knew it would be Kaffer and Salo! There's not another International GT Open race until Sept. Fishi and Toni will be at the Hungaroring with LMS and AF Corsa.

That leaves Salo and Kaffer...
I thought that Kaffer looked pretty good at Lime Rock while Salo seemed a little out of shape. Perhaps Salo will be in better shape and, if so, the car will compete rather well.

DK
Old 10 Aug 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2742643)   #2521
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So...uh...you guys get all the world's problem's solved yet?

Last edited by merlot brougham; 10 Aug 2010 at 20:09.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 22:57 (Ref:2742795)   #2522
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
I thought that Kaffer looked pretty good at Lime Rock while Salo seemed a little out of shape. Perhaps Salo will be in better shape and, if so, the car will compete rather well.

DK
Mika said he needed some time in the car, remember he hasn't driven it with the larger tires yet and slightly different aero on the front end.

They made a 3rd stop at Lime Rock because 1) he as complaining up a storm on the radio, screaming about under-steer 2) it was hot and 3) see #1
Old 10 Aug 2010, 22:58 (Ref:2742796)   #2523
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot brougham View Post
So...uh...you guys get all the world's problem's solved yet?

Sorry not married...
Old 11 Aug 2010, 05:24 (Ref:2742870)   #2524
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Mika said he needed some time in the car, remember he hasn't driven it with the larger tires yet and slightly different aero on the front end.

They made a 3rd stop at Lime Rock because 1) he as complaining up a storm on the radio, screaming about under-steer 2) it was hot and 3) see #1
I think he'll be up to it with that seat time from Lime Rock under his belt and some experience with the changes in the car. They should be quite strong.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 05:35 (Ref:2742873)   #2525
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Sorry not married...

Not a prerequisite for the point to be made........