Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 Oct 2013, 13:42 (Ref:3311871)   #201
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
But good enough to be excited about on the whole.

I would have thought that would have been enough to be interested or excited in the 2014 schedule which still has good venues, new drivers & a proven package to deliver good racing.
The problem with 2014, as it stands, is everything is crammed in to a rather short time frame, with a very long off season.

If IndyCar wants to get back to what it once was, it only has to look at the late 80s early 90s as far as venues are concerned. It worked, but Tony George thought better and ruined it.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 2 Oct 2013 at 13:48.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 13:53 (Ref:3311874)   #202
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The problem from which all other problems stem from is the dismals ratings. If they can somehow crack that aspect then other aspects of the series can be jump started and the series will have a future. If they don't crack that, then sooner or later there'll be another sponsorship exodus. This winter and spring is going to be very important.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 16:32 (Ref:3311921)   #203
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently, the revised Indy road course has better overtaking.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110265
Old 4 Oct 2013, 04:00 (Ref:3312605)   #204
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand the urge to hold the Indy road race so close to the 500. Is this because of the USCR race the same week? This indeed will affect the prestige as well as the attendance of the 500 IMHO. Personally, I probably wouldn't want to attend two races on the same venue being spaced away from each other by just 4-5 weeks. I doubly wouldn't want to attend both if I had to travel from out of town. Imagine explaining this to your spouse ("same race, are you nuts?").

The correct way to do the Indy road GP is to divorce it as much as possible from the 500. One way to do it would be to move the road race as late in the calendar as possible, maybe September or November. Or maybe kick off the entire season with that race. However, holding it in May will dilute the great event that is the 500. Can you imagine the idea of a Monaco GP "Lite" or Silverstone "lite" held the same month with the main GP? Most people would call this absurd. Have we run out of all the good venues and now need to recycle some of them? Last time I checked: not. How about pairing up with USCR at the Road America, Sonoma, or Watkins Glen?

Last edited by JacobP; 4 Oct 2013 at 04:07.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 13:42 (Ref:3312751)   #205
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
I don't understand the urge to hold the Indy road race so close to the 500.
It is part of May in Indy.

Quote:
This indeed will affect the prestige as well as the attendance of the 500 IMHO.
Not really.

Quote:
However, holding it in May will dilute the great event that is the 500. Can you imagine the idea of a Monaco GP "Lite" or Silverstone "lite" held the same month with the main GP?
They are using the road course, not the oval. Think of it like the Duels at Daytona, just another gimmick. But personally, I like this idea.
Old 5 Oct 2013, 14:33 (Ref:3313165)   #206
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I don't like the idea of having two IndyCar races at Indianapolis. It dillutes the prestige of the 500.

But I must admit that it makes sense, both from the economic and marketing points of view.
Old 5 Oct 2013, 20:30 (Ref:3313259)   #207
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
They are using the road course, not the oval. Think of it like the Duels at Daytona, just another gimmick. But personally, I like this idea.
It is gimmicky but I think to pull a gimmick like this off, it would have been better to have the race as either the season opener or as the season finale, otherwise I feel it will impact on the 500 in terms of TV ratings and crowd attendance.
Old 5 Oct 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3313278)   #208
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
it would have been better to have the race as either the season opener or as the season finale, otherwise I feel it will impact on the 500 in terms of TV ratings and crowd attendance.
Not as bad as holding a race in March, in Indiana.

I know you are from the UK, but, usually we still have an extensive snowpack in March, and usually isn't gone until April.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 5 Oct 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3313285)   #209
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Not as bad as holding a race in March, in Indiana.

I know you are from the UK, but, usually we still have an extensive snowpack in March, and usually isn't gone until April.
I'm originally from California, so I'm spoilt for good weather in the spring.
Old 5 Oct 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3313296)   #210
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm originally from California, so I'm spoilt for good weather in the spring.
I'm not saying we shouldn't, it could potentially be hilarious fun. I wonder how well soft wets, or inters deal with sleet.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 6 Oct 2013, 00:08 (Ref:3313329)   #211
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
I'm not saying we shouldn't, it could potentially be hilarious fun. I wonder how well soft wets, or inters deal with sleet.
Maybe IndyCar should switch tyre manufacturer to Michelin. They've developed an all weather tyre for Formula E and one of the teams competing is Andretti Autosport....just saying.
Old 6 Oct 2013, 00:30 (Ref:3313333)   #212
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It is gimmicky but I think to pull a gimmick like this off, it would have been better to have the race as either the season opener or as the season finale, otherwise I feel it will impact on the 500 in terms of TV ratings and crowd attendance.
It would fill the gulf in the month of May that would've previously been filled with practice but the appeal of practice has been flagging for years now so they may as well run a race on a roadcourse that would be sharply distinct to the oval and be productive with the time and space that would be otherwise wasted. Don't know if it'll pay off exactly but there's probably not a lot to lose either. It's not as if they are running two races on the oval itself.

The roadcourse is sharply distinct to the legendary oval. There's no real danger it'll detract from the 500 no more than the Brickyard 400 does.
Old 6 Oct 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3313340)   #213
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It would fill the gulf in the month of May that would've previously been filled with practice but the appeal of practice has been flagging for years now so they may as well run a race on a roadcourse that would be sharply distinct to the oval and be productive with the time and space that would be otherwise wasted. Don't know if it'll pay off exactly but there's probably not a lot to lose either. It's not as if they are running two races on the oval itself.

The roadcourse is sharply distinct to the legendary oval. There's no real danger it'll detract from the 500 no more than the Brickyard 400 does.
Not wanting to sound glib but we'll just have to wait until May 2014.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3317869)   #214
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
The 2014 schedule will be released on the NBC Fontana Preview Show, according to RACER.com...

http://www.racer.com/2014-indycar-sc...rticle/316210/
Old 14 Oct 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3317959)   #215
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
The 2014 schedule will be released on the NBC Fontana Preview Show, according to RACER.com...

http://www.racer.com/2014-indycar-sc...rticle/316210/
I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 04:44 (Ref:3318279)   #216
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You dont think they will air the show or that the schedule wont be announced?
Old 17 Oct 2013, 11:17 (Ref:3318878)   #217
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Season starts at the end of March (St Pete) and ends on Labor Day.

Same number of races.

What a grind.
Old 17 Oct 2013, 23:24 (Ref:3319242)   #218
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/2014-indycar-ca...rticle/316700/
March 30 – St. Petersburg
April 13 – Long Beach
April 26 – Barber Park (Saturday)
May 10 – IMS road course (Saturday)
May 17-18 – Indy 500 qualifying.
May 25 – Indianapolis 500
May 31-June 1 – Detroit double-header
June 7 – Texas (Saturday night)
June 28-29 – Houston double-header
July 6 – Pocono
July 12 – Iowa (Saturday night)
July 19-20 – Toronto double-header
August 3 – Mid-Ohio
August 17 – Milwaukee
August 24 – Sonoma
August 30 – Fontana (Saturday night)
6 Ovals (Indy, Texas, Pocono, Iowa, Milwaukee, Fontana)

8 Street circuits (St. Pete, Long Beach, Detroit X 2, Houston X 2, Toronto X 2)

4 Road courses (Barber, Indy, Mid-Ohio, Sonoma)

This schedule sucks for a number of reasons.

The compactness will make people forget about IndyCar. Unless Mark Miles announces his International Series soon, teams are going to have some very difficult human resource decisions to make.
Never mind that race fans will completely forget about IndyCar between August and March.

The compact schedule is going to be hell on the teams, although the schedule has been modified to make the travel requirements a little more workable. It's still a grind for them.

Too many street circuits. Cut the double-headers on street circuits and do them on proper road courses.... If any road courses would be willing to host a IndyCar two-fer.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 01:02 (Ref:3319266)   #219
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythoughtsareracing View Post
This schedule sucks for a number of reasons.

The compactness will make people forget about IndyCar. Unless Mark Miles announces his International Series soon, teams are going to have some very difficult human resource decisions to make.
While I dont totally agree with the shortness of the season, the compactness and consistency of races should enhance peoples connections to Indycar. If they can get consistent TV times - fans and sponsors can count on seeing the series every second week which is a benefit.

Obviously the off season / international series is needed if you finish at the end of August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythoughtsareracing View Post
Too many street circuits. Cut the double-headers on street circuits and do them on proper road courses.... If any road courses would be willing to host a IndyCar two-fer.
Double headers at road courses would be a great addition however the street circuit promoters want double headers as 2013 showed - it helped attendances.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 01:22 (Ref:3319272)   #220
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That's a huge off-season.

It begs the question how will small survive; Panther just lost NG as sponsor?
Old 18 Oct 2013, 01:48 (Ref:3319278)   #221
D.R.T.
Veteran

Thats where the proposed international season would come into play.

The alternative I guess would be to put staff on 8month contracts
Old 18 Oct 2013, 02:40 (Ref:3319285)   #222
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Thats where the proposed international season would come into play.

The alternative I guess would be to put staff on 8month contracts
And what are they supposed to do for the rest of the year? I can see a lot of these people trying to get jobs in NASCAR, for example, which will hit the smaller IndyCar teams.

There's been nothing about this interbational season since it was 'mentioned'.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 02:54 (Ref:3319288)   #223
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
So, no surprises about the tracks, just reshuffling of dates for Houston and Milwaukee.

No clashes with Daytona, Sebring or Le Mans, great! No excessive gaps, great!

Barber on Saturday? That's odd. Houston in June will be a mess, Fontana is August probably too.

Two intense stretches in may and July, that will be tough for everyone (including me).

August 10 is open. How about adding Road America for a Wisconsin Augustfest?
Old 18 Oct 2013, 02:57 (Ref:3319289)   #224
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
6 Ovals (Indy, Texas, Pocono, Iowa, Milwaukee, Fontana)

8 Street circuits (St. Pete, Long Beach, Detroit X 2, Houston X 2, Toronto X 2)

4 Road courses (Barber, Indy, Mid-Ohio, Sonoma)
Actually, it's 8 street races on 5 street courses. 6 ovals versus 9 road/street courses. That sounds ok to me.

Quote:

Never mind that race fans will completely forget about IndyCar between August and March.
I totally agree. But NFL and NBA work fine with compact schedules.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 03:38 (Ref:3319296)   #225
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
And what are they supposed to do for the rest of the year? I can see a lot of these people trying to get jobs in NASCAR, for example, which will hit the smaller IndyCar teams.

There's been nothing about this interbational season since it was 'mentioned'.
For sure they will try and get jobs in NASCAR - I think plenty would be trying regardless maybe due to pay etc

Employment contracts arent uncommon in the sports industry.

Losing quality people would hurt any team - not just the small teams however I dont think there will be a skill shortage (people) in the Indycar to fill the void should anyone leave.

Derrick Walker would very much be aware of the above as well.