Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 6 Sep 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1088574)   #1
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So I've bought GPL. Now What?

Today, I decided to stop being on the outside looking in, like I have been for the last year and a half. So, I went to eBay and bought a copy of GPL for $9.00. Now that I've purchased a copy, what will its inexperienced owner need? A wheel, of course, but after that?
Old 7 Sep 2004, 00:06 (Ref:1088667)   #2
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
plenty of free time!!!!!!!!!!! oh and also a trip to Race Sim Central for LOADS of ubgrades and advice!!!(or u could just ask pirenzo lol)
one other thing that would be really good to have is surround sound, obviously coming from behind you.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 07:14 (Ref:1088785)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MacMan
(or u could just ask pirenzo lol)

here's something to start with:>> http://pirenzo1.tripod.com/gpl.html#guide

Ayse has a good link, GPL Beginners or something.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 18:04 (Ref:1089275)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Definitely get yourself over the RSC and be prepared to spend a lot of time there and on the various links you encounter. I'll second what MacMan says though, pirenzo is your link to all things GPL really.

Just be prepared to give up normal life as you've always known it........
Old 7 Sep 2004, 18:11 (Ref:1089281)   #5
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm living on-campus at a university where most people's social life consists of playing Halo. What life?
Old 7 Sep 2004, 18:19 (Ref:1089294)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Just enjoy it my friend; This is the sim which I bought on spec some years ago (when I didn't have the internet), played it for a month and forgot about it. Got it out again 2 years ago and discovered just how good it is and how incredible the GPL "community" is. Its the game which caused me to go out and buy a graphics card I wouldn't otherwise have needed (and then another - with a new pc - and most recently another), and a steering wheel with which to drive the beasts (and then another, my beloved MOMO Force). Its the sim which I drove virtually non-stop for a couple of months to get a negative rank back in the tail end of 2002. It is as addictive as you want it to be 100%, 200%, 300%, whatever.......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 7 Sep 2004 at 18:20.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1089317)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fish_Flake
I'm living on-campus at a university where most people's social life consists of playing Halo. What life?
Well Halo's a good game!

(you know Halo2 is coming out soon? )

By the way, I was hoping Ayse would post the above mentioned link. Its not one I have stored upstairs for quick recall...

Last edited by pirenzo; 7 Sep 2004 at 18:39.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 18:54 (Ref:1089326)   #8
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry im a technophob ive downloaded the all in one papyrus patcher now how do i apply it to the game?
Old 7 Sep 2004, 19:05 (Ref:1089333)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I don't have a clue, cos it didn't exist in the good 'ol days so I've never used it...
Now however you can't D/L all those patches separately, so your only choice is the all-in-one.

I'd imagine there's an .exe you have to run, like a setup file or something?
Old 8 Sep 2004, 00:10 (Ref:1089505)   #10
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow! must thank pirenzo for helping me make my GPL look sexy as funk!
Old 8 Sep 2004, 12:56 (Ref:1089901)   #11
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One other thing Fish Flake, when you read these guy's lap times prepare to spend a lot of time feeling humble/despondant!
Old 8 Sep 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1089936)   #12
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo

it was meant as a compliment pirenzo not a dig at you
You have given me(and many others) loads of help with this sim. As a matter of fact had it not been for you and Ayse and a couple of others I would never have even bought it.

Anyway, just know Fish Flake that this sim can totally comsume your life! Enjoy
Old 10 Sep 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1092292)   #13
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
OK, I received my copy in the mail today, I've installed it, but the game now will not load. What's my problem?
Old 10 Sep 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1092324)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
You on XP?

If you are, make sure you're not doing any silly compatability stuff, and that the indexing service box is checked in the gpl.exe properties under the General tab, and then advanced.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1092328)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
MacMan, NP, I didn't take it as a dig, I'd just rather not have people constantly asking me stuff as if I know everything about it.
I just know the common problems.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 21:03 (Ref:1092334)   #16
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Absoloute lies. You are the guru.

Fish_Flake, have you installed the all-in-one patch as well as the sim? (have to be careful or I will face the wrath of Ayse)
Old 10 Sep 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1092346)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yes, that's true, you need to upgrade to GPL 1.2.0.2 for it to work also.
The All-In-One Patch available from http://trackdb.d2g.com upgrades it for you, and installs the Bandwidth Patch for online racing also.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 01:36 (Ref:1092456)   #18
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
My computer runs Windows XP; the disc already came with Upgrade 1.2, which I have already installed. I'm in the program now; there still is no sound, and the resolution is very low. The problem is, I'm at home now, and my computer has no Internet access here, so I'll have to wait until Sunday evening to install the all-in-one patch. For what it's worth, my computer has an AMD Athlon XP processor, a 60 GB hard drive, 256 MB of memory, and a GeForce 4 graphics card.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 04:07 (Ref:1092541)   #19
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
OK, there was nothing wrong with the sound. I just didn't realize that there is no menu music in the simulation. However, the sim crashes after about twenty minutes of driving. I'm positive that's just a problem that will go away when I install the all-in-one patcher. (At least I hope so...)
I just noticed that the old wheel I already have is non-compatible with my computer. First of all, the installation disk will not run in XP; secondly, my computer only has USB ports. That means I'll have to buy a new wheel sooner, rather than later. I figure that may be for the best: just by driving with gamepad control, I know that force feedback is a must.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 04:44 (Ref:1092559)   #20
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Oh yeah, and don't be so pushy about the broadband online support, P! Sure, I'd like to join your league and all, but don't you think I should learn how to turn first? Besides, have you taken a look at the schedule? The first race I could conceivably join is on the Nurburgring! I'll kill someone! I tell you what, though: I should be less of a catastrophe waiting to happen and more of a moving chicane by the Bathurst round, if I work on it.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 08:11 (Ref:1092650)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
.....no menu music in the simulation.

Menu music

Menu music

This is GPL man, not Lego Racers.........

Old 11 Sep 2004, 08:13 (Ref:1092651)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Oh yeah, and don't be so pushy about the broadband online support, P! Sure, I'd like to join your league and all, but don't you think I should learn how to turn first? Besides, have you taken a look at the schedule? The first race I could conceivably join is on the Nurburgring! I'll kill someone! I tell you what, though: I should be less of a catastrophe waiting to happen and more of a moving chicane by the Bathurst round, if I work on it.
Don't worry F_F, you'll want to race online soon enough. As soon as you can do 4-5 laps (even relatively slow ones) of Monza or the Glen without constantly falling off - crank up your modem.......
Old 11 Sep 2004, 10:34 (Ref:1092748)   #23
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Oh yeah, and don't be so pushy about the broadband online support, P!
:confused:
Old 11 Sep 2004, 15:28 (Ref:1093003)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Consider yourself told, p........
Old 11 Sep 2004, 15:53 (Ref:1093021)   #25
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
But Broadband online support?
WTF is that about?