Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Nov 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2793080)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Monza HSCC HF2 Only

Historic F2 only.
Old 27 May 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2886816)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just wondered if any tenthers are racing or spectating at Monza?

Old 27 May 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2886864)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Im transporting with a very good freind and fellow 10/10ther.Spectating,mechanicing but sadly NOT racing.
Old 28 May 2011, 04:59 (Ref:2886960)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Did Zola not mention some time back that she is taking the GTAm? With GTSCC, U2TC and HSCC F2 there, must be some more off here going. Maybe someone will be looking for a driver of your kaliber and knowledge of the track to share a race with.

I'm just honoured and excited to be going as 'No2 Truckie and reserve mechanic' to a circuit have heard so much about, but concerned about what will be available for breakfast there? Any Mallory fry-feast or quassons? Or will it be a case of pigging out on pizza night before........

Old 28 May 2011, 06:25 (Ref:2886972)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do hope that you two keep up the 60s and 70s tradition at Monza whereby all the teams (except Ferrari) attempted to get in to the paddock before the official access time (it seemed to be a matter of pride) if necessary engaging in pitched battles with the security people until the appointed hour arrived.

Have fun.
Old 28 May 2011, 06:40 (Ref:2886973)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
engaging in pitched battles with the security people.
Less of this

More of this

More likely to work
Old 28 May 2011, 06:44 (Ref:2886975)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I know most of the local Quasson stops/and Pizza resturants as well.I also know the back way in and where the local bar is.Dont forget your bike Mike.
Old 28 May 2011, 07:15 (Ref:2886982)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I know most of the local Quasson stops/and Pizza resturants as well.I also know the back way in and where the local bar is.

You are The Man.

Bike ready to roll. Italy had been better be warmer than here
Old 28 May 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2887003)   #9
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
You are The Man.

Bike ready to roll. Italy had been better be warmer than here
Too many beans
Old 1 Jun 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2889475)   #10
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is a great Monza story that was sent to me late last week. Not sure of the source but thought you would enjoy......

As best as I can remember this is Michele Albereto’s (R.I.P) favourite story about the Brambilla brothers…..

They were testing a F1 car at Monza (sorry I don’t know which) and Vittorio was doing a long stint. At a certain point “Mario” a very young mechanic put out a pit board to ‘BOX’, but clearly the red mist had descended and the car continued for a couple more laps. His brother then urged Mario to lean out further with the board and wave it to attract his attention, this still has no effect. So sure enough a few laps later they hear his car cough a couple of times out at the back of the circuit and fall silent, his brother unimpressed (incatzata) dispatches Mario with a fuel container sufficient to get the car back to the pits…..

Mario takes the scenic route to find the car stationary out at Ascari with a mystified Vittorio wondering what mechanical problem has left him stranded, only when Mario appears with fuel and a message of expletives from his brother does he understand. They fill the car and restart it, and head back to the pits with Mario astride the engine holding onto the roll bar.

On arrival the expletives are repeated and there is some animated discussion about being able to read, after a while his brother then asks: “Where’s Mario?” At which point Vittorio turns rather pale….

It seems once moving, the red mist had once again descended and the back straight at Monza had been taken ‘flat’, then Parabolica at racing speed, before taking the pit entry.

On realisation they both run down to Parabolica to find Mario encased in three rows of catch fencing remarkably suffering only from severe bruises and grazes having hung on the length of the straight, but not under cornering & braking.

Apparently he carried on working for them!!! ☺

Have fun this weekend!!
Old 1 Jun 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2889487)   #11
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sono molto geloso. Buona fortuna!
Old 1 Jun 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2889526)   #12
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Less of this

More of this

More likely to work

Only just seen this so the response is too late, but ...

Nope, not when Ferrari were involved. It was part of the game. They (Ferrari) never, or so I was told, had any problems getting into the circuit whenever they wanted to be there. For the rest ....

07:59 - pitched battles.

08:01 - all smiles and passes accepted promptly.

Or at least that was the story ...
Old 3 Jun 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2890750)   #13
leglizone
Racer

Italy
Monza Italy
leglizone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Few photos form this morning practice.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 06:23 (Ref:2890881)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The little Hocking Burnett Abarth is there in GTSCC along with Will Stephens in the 356 SC.He will be on his fifth post when he gets back.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2891111)   #15
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The little Hocking Burnett Abarth is there in GTSCC along with Will Stephens in the 356 SC.He will be on his fifth post when he gets back.

sadly the Abarth has got engine problems....the 356 is going well. Hoping for a dry race tomorrow!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 6 Jun 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2891935)   #16
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Paul now knows he can't over rev the Abarth but it is good to 9000.Its after that when it comes out for air.He checked!Not true about all those gears being in their somewhere.they have to be selected in order.
Anyone got a 2 litre Abarth engine or bits?May help rebuild!Doesn't help it goes round wrong way.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2891979)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, I know that the outcome is going to hurt some-one's pocket but the way you expressed that had me really chuckling (and that's rare these days!). Thank you! Are you saying that the Abarth crank rotates in an anti clockwise direction?
Old 6 Jun 2011, 10:45 (Ref:2892034)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It used to!All wrong way round.
Stationary and stuck at present.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2892122)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Here is a great Monza story that was sent to me late last week. Not sure of the source but thought you would enjoy......

As best as I can remember this is Michele Albereto’s (R.I.P) favourite story about the Brambilla brothers…..

They were testing a F1 car at Monza (sorry I don’t know which) and Vittorio was doing a long stint. At a certain point “Mario” a very young mechanic put out a pit board to ‘BOX’, but clearly the red mist had descended and the car continued for a couple more laps. His brother then urged Mario to lean out further with the board and wave it to attract his attention, this still has no effect. So sure enough a few laps later they hear his car cough a couple of times out at the back of the circuit and fall silent, his brother unimpressed (incatzata) dispatches Mario with a fuel container sufficient to get the car back to the pits…..

Mario takes the scenic route to find the car stationary out at Ascari with a mystified Vittorio wondering what mechanical problem has left him stranded, only when Mario appears with fuel and a message of expletives from his brother does he understand. They fill the car and restart it, and head back to the pits with Mario astride the engine holding onto the roll bar.

On arrival the expletives are repeated and there is some animated discussion about being able to read, after a while his brother then asks: “Where’s Mario?” At which point Vittorio turns rather pale….

It seems once moving, the red mist had once again descended and the back straight at Monza had been taken ‘flat’, then Parabolica at racing speed, before taking the pit entry.

On realisation they both run down to Parabolica to find Mario encased in three rows of catch fencing remarkably suffering only from severe bruises and grazes having hung on the length of the straight, but not under cornering & braking.

Apparently he carried on working for them!!! ☺

Have fun this weekend!!
I thought that was very funny
Old 7 Jun 2011, 12:42 (Ref:2892780)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Delta trucking up M20 this very moment. Lots to tell, in meantime thanks to Iain for great trip and passing on his foreign language skills.
Old 7 Jun 2011, 12:59 (Ref:2892804)   #21
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Delta trucking up M20 this very moment. Lots to tell, in meantime thanks to Iain for great trip and passing on his foreign language skills.
Blimey - you made it back in remarkably good time ...
Old 7 Jun 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2892959)   #22
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yep but blooming knackard.Just waiting to go over the pub for Stoke Row Racing Car Show meeting.
I feel a bit sad as I know im not going back to Monza for another year.Just want to say thats two excelent trips ive been on this year with two very special 10/10th mon amies. Thanks you two.
Old 7 Jun 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2892974)   #23
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zola.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	33180
Here is Zola's new Alfa. Not only does it look stunning but it went very well on its first outing at Monza.Hopefully she will post the full story.
Old 7 Jun 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2893061)   #24
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! What a fantastic looking car - great livery.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2893595)   #25
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Zola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks chaps... Car was AWESOME... so pleased with how it handled and I certainly showed the Italianos as I was the only Brit in the race.

So qualified 10th out of 40 odd cars, Race 1 finished 4th overall and 2nd in class after a battle from the green light to the checker flag with another GTAM - I can honestly say i have never worked so hard in a car...

Then, Race 2 is start where you finished in race 1, so my co pilot Andy Harrison bought it home in the wet to P3 and 2nd in class.

We also won 3rd overall for the whole event... Came home with 5 trophies!!!!
"Thats what I'm Talking About!!!"

With an hour before we were due out to qualy the scrutineers decided to tell me that my tyre choice was illegal and slicks were banned!!! Aahhh after scrounging axle stands, trolley jacks and wheel brace in paddock i managed to negotiate a set of tyres from the Italian fitters that were there which were an intermediate and didn't fit the wheel well at all but thats all he had.... shoved them on the car without handing over any Euros or knowing what tyre pressures should have been and off I went!!!

Maybe a little too high in the rear as I was pogoing around parabolica but what the hell just floor it.....

Fantastic weekend had by all my team and quite emotional to actually get on podium and have national anthem playing etc....

My bro won his race in the U2TC too - so the Shaws had a good outing....

Grazie ....

Last edited by Zola; 8 Jun 2011 at 15:55.