Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 May 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3068195)   #1
dat240
Rookie

New Zealand
new zealand
dat240 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nissan 240rs help

Hi Im new so thanks for the time. I have a 240rs which Im looking for some infomation about. It was a Blydinstein built car, that was first registered in 1986.
During its restoration I found a date under a accident repair which was in 1986, but before it was first registered. Is there any body who knows anytime about BBR's testing. Such as what cars were used. I have photos of the car when the first owner brought it and it appears that the damage was before he brought it.
Many thanks

Last edited by dat240; 2 May 2012 at 08:17. Reason: wrong dates
Old 2 May 2012, 13:48 (Ref:3068297)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Welcome!

I'm not a rally expert but that car was registered pretty late by 240RS standards as the cars ran competitively between 1983-85(ish)

There were a handful that ran in the UK Open or National rally series and one of them even found its way onto the circuits in the UK Thundersaloon series driven by one Barrie Williams, as well as the Northern Sports/GT Challenge centred around Oulton Park.

My recollection is that Tony Pond and Timo Salonen drove Nissan Europe entered cars in some World and European events in 1983/84, Terry Kaby joined the programme in 84/85 but that was mainly in Britain plus a few Euro rallies. I can't recall which other drivers used them?

I think Alistair Sutherland also rallied one quite well on the National scene in 1985 before he got his 6R4?

Hope that spurs people into further assistance for you.

My initial reaction is that your car sat somewhere unused and then was registered up to be sold on in 1986?
Old 2 May 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3068461)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
My initial reaction is that your car sat somewhere unused and then was registered up to be sold on in 1986?
A test car? Which would also maybe explain the accident damage too

There is still at least one 240RS that competes on a regular basis in the UK - we've been up against it a few times (we can beat it in the wet on twisty stages ). I think it's owned by Ian Roberton (and I think it's actually chassis #1).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rutthenut/3414759191/

Maybe see if you can get in touch with the people that built the car? It's surprising just how much info you can get if you manage to get hold of the right people.
Old 4 May 2012, 16:48 (Ref:3069405)   #4
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Welcome!

I'm not a rally expert but that car was registered pretty late by 240RS standards as the cars ran competitively between 1983-85(ish)

There were a handful that ran in the UK Open or National rally series and one of them even found its way onto the circuits in the UK Thundersaloon series driven by one Barrie Williams, as well as the Northern Sports/GT Challenge centred around Oulton Park.

My recollection is that Tony Pond and Timo Salonen drove Nissan Europe entered cars in some World and European events in 1983/84, Terry Kaby joined the programme in 84/85 but that was mainly in Britain plus a few Euro rallies. I can't recall which other drivers used them?

I think Alistair Sutherland also rallied one quite well on the National scene in 1985 before he got his 6R4?

Hope that spurs people into further assistance for you.

Blydenstein ran a Nissan Europe 240RS appearing on UK events as late as 1986 for Louise Aitken-Walker

Apart from the already-mentioned Salonen, Pond and Terry Kaby at WRC and European/UK international level, Shekhar Mehta was also a regular in them, usually on the rougher WRC rounds where the 240RS was a bit more in it's element, and the long-haul trips to events outside Europe- Acropolis, Safari, Ivory Coast, New Zealand, Argentina- though he did at least one RAC in one as well
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45777493@N06/4315937909/

I can remember David Llewellin and the late Mark Lovell (IIRC he won a National Championship in one?) also appearing in them on UK national events around 1984/5, and there were quite a lot around at national privateer level in the UK and Ireland.

Bert Mk2 mentioned Ian Roberton currently running a 240RS- He had at least one back in the mid-80's as well, apparently the ex-Aitken-Walker car:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/howiendlynne/4102191381/
http://www.240rs.jp/HXI%207635.html

Another 240RS name that comes to mind on national events, and sometimes overseas is James Prochowski (with UB40 sponsorship)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16788879@N02/3120382111/
http://i78.servimg.com/u/f78/13/28/48/21/240rsp11.jpg

They were a surprisingly popular privateer car in the UK and Europe, bearing in mind that they weren't usually as competitive as something like an Ascona/Manta 400, especially on tarmac events
Old 7 May 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3070581)   #5
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post

Another 240RS name that comes to mind on national events, and sometimes overseas is James Prochowski (with UB40 sponsorship)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16788879@N02/3120382111/
http://i78.servimg.com/u/f78/13/28/48/21/240rsp11.jpg
James died a few years ago but the guys who worked for him must be about.
UB40 must have a lot of info / photos of the car /s.

Dont forget Andy Dawson ran one in UK & possibly european events.
Old 3 May 2012, 06:52 (Ref:3068596)   #6
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
240RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat240 View Post
Hi Im new so thanks for the time. I have a 240rs which Im looking for some infomation about. It was a Blydinstein built car, that was first registered in 1986.
During its restoration I found a date under a accident repair which was in 1986, but before it was first registered. Is there any body who knows anytime about BBR's testing. Such as what cars were used. I have photos of the car when the first owner brought it and it appears that the damage was before he brought it.
Many thanks
If you would like to send me a PM I can put you in touch with a friend who has a lot of information about them. Alex
Old 4 May 2012, 14:46 (Ref:3069363)   #7
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there one racing in modified saloons in the mid 90's?
Old 4 May 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3069445)   #8
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Clegg View Post
Was there one racing in modified saloons in the mid 90's?
I am sure you are thinking of the one Whizzo drove in Thundersaloons, & dud suprisingly well with as I recall.
Old 5 May 2012, 05:35 (Ref:3069568)   #9
dat240
Rookie

New Zealand
new zealand
Ian Roberton owns/drives chassis 1, reg number UIA 4275. He also owned/drove the Aitken-Walker car HXI 7635.
My car has the reg number HXI 7637. IT was first registered 18-2-85 and the vehicle acquired 18-2-86, what ever that means. I know that Blydinstein was supplying cars and parts well into 86 and later in the middle east. My car went from England to do rally Argentina then it went to Jordan for a few years then to Lebanon where I found it. I feel that the car had seen some work before it was taken to Argentina, Ive spoken to the guy who took it to Argentina and didnt think it had been but when I look at the photos taken at that time it shows the signs of the damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87JordanNo15Aguilar022X.jpg (398.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 6 May 2012, 10:09 (Ref:3070178)   #10
Andy Clegg
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
I am sure you are thinking of the one Whizzo drove in Thundersaloons, & dud suprisingly well with as I recall.
I checked programmes last night. Can't see a Nissan entered at Mallory, sorry but thought I'd taken a photo. If I find anything will put pic on here.
Old 7 May 2012, 05:46 (Ref:3070488)   #11
dat240
Rookie

New Zealand
new zealand
Thanks. Apart from the thunder saloon car, would any one have any photos of crashed-accident damaged 240rs rally cars. Just mite stumble on a photo of the car.
Old 7 May 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3070647)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat240 View Post
Thanks. Apart from the thunder saloon car, would any one have any photos of crashed-accident damaged 240rs rally cars. Just mite stumble on a photo of the car.
Have a look here and maybe you want to make contact with 'Mr. RallyRetro', Fergus McAnallen. There were a lot of these in Ireland and as can be seen from above, many/most of them had Northern Ireland registration plates. A lot of them went through the hands of Kenny McKinstry and it might be worth making contact with him here to see if yours was among them.
Old 7 May 2012, 07:22 (Ref:3070509)   #13
Andy Clegg
Racer

Looked in Barrie William's book, reckon he was racing the Nissan in about 1983/84.
Old 7 May 2012, 09:01 (Ref:3070548)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
1985 in Thunderloons
Old 8 May 2012, 13:04 (Ref:3071185)   #15
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From memory there was a good article in CCC some years back (it would have to be because CCC stopped being published some years ago !)
Old 10 May 2012, 06:22 (Ref:3072049)   #16
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the Andy Dawson quattros racing Thundersaloons and I think I saw them at Snett and Silverstone (but didn't keep any programmes so can't check). IIRC they were the ex Group B Rally cars - Group B was dead by then and presumably DAD needed somewhere to use them so Thundersaloons was ideal. Probably not the ideal racing car but as a quattro fan I loved them anyway. I wonder where they are now? I expect that they have been returned to Group B rally trim and are now worth a fortune as pukka Group B cars and demonstrated at things like the "Slowly Sideways" events.

As for the 240RS - it may be worth contacting Damon Milnes of Cheshire Classics. He has sold a couple recently and may know what happened to a few of the others.
Old 10 May 2012, 07:50 (Ref:3072071)   #17
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I remember the Andy Dawson quattros racing Thundersaloons and I think I saw them at Snett and Silverstone (but didn't keep any programmes so can't check). IIRC they were the ex Group B Rally cars - Group B was dead by then and presumably DAD needed somewhere to use them so Thundersaloons was ideal. Probably not the ideal racing car but as a quattro fan I loved them anyway. I wonder where they are now? I expect that they have been returned to Group B rally trim and are now worth a fortune as pukka Group B cars and demonstrated at things like the "Slowly Sideways" events.
IIRC, one's on display in the museum collection at Beaulieu, I think the other is with an enthusiast/collector in the UK, and as you say, appears at 'Slowly Sideways' events and the like?
Old 10 May 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3072123)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I think the other is with an enthusiast/collector in the UK, and as you say, appears at 'Slowly Sideways' events and the like?
I assume this is the one? This was at Stoneleigh in 2007.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 555.jpg (50.4 KB, 8 views)