Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Dec 2011, 18:42 (Ref:3003289)   #51
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
What does this Lombard and Alvis do in G1?
Old 22 Dec 2011, 19:16 (Ref:3003304)   #52
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Peter Auto closed until 2/1.

What a surprise!
Old 22 Dec 2011, 19:55 (Ref:3003325)   #53
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not in........... yet (?)
Old 22 Dec 2011, 20:52 (Ref:3003363)   #54
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Shuckburgh View Post
Not in........... yet (?)
Not in ?
with what ?

have a look at the quota of spaces filled
quite different for the grids

very few accepted so far in G5 and 6

Rudolf
Old 22 Dec 2011, 21:41 (Ref:3003380)   #55
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Not in ?
with what ?

have a look at the quota of spaces filled
quite different for the grids

very few accepted so far in G5 and 6

Rudolf
Cunningham C4R - grid 2.........despite the American theme...about 30 cars so far - how many per grid?
Old 22 Dec 2011, 21:52 (Ref:3003382)   #56
exnigel
Rookie

exnigel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lmc

Really happy as have been accepted in plateau one with my Bentley and plateau 2 with my Aston. Change from last time when my Bentley was accepted in April....

Seem to be less early acceptances than last time, particularly in later grids, so hopefully others will be successful soon

Nigel Batchelor
Old 22 Dec 2011, 22:30 (Ref:3003389)   #57
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Shuckburgh View Post
Cunningham C4R - grid 2.........despite the American theme...about 30 cars so far - how many per grid?
I think it is about 67 cars per grid.
With that Cunningham You should have a very good chance as its fairly rare.
Just take JRs advice, wait......

You are right though, the American theme should have made Your car a sure entry even at the first draw.

Rudolf
Old 22 Dec 2011, 23:32 (Ref:3003400)   #58
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Quote:
I think it is about 67 cars per grid.
With that Cunningham You should have a very good chance as its fairly rare.
Just take JRs advice, wait......

You are right though, the American theme should have made Your car a sure entry even at the first draw.

Rudolf
Thanks Rudolf, I always take JRs advice...ahem.... Anyway, fingers crossed.
Ben
Old 22 Dec 2011, 23:47 (Ref:3003406)   #59
Michael Birch
Rookie

Michael Birch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnigel View Post
Really happy as have been accepted in plateau one with my Bentley and plateau 2 with my Aston. Change from last time when my Bentley was accepted in April....

Seem to be less early acceptances than last time, particularly in later grids, so hopefully others will be successful soon

Nigel Batchelor
Nigel,

Thank god you're in. At least we're guaranteed some proper red wine now. Never mind Tetre Rouge, think we should start the Vin Rouge racing club! Chateau Talbot sounds appropriate as the inaugural bottle.

Test run on the Flying Scotsman!

Michael.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 08:08 (Ref:3003468)   #60
exnigel
Rookie

Château talbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Birch View Post
Nigel,

Thank god you're in. At least we're guaranteed some proper red wine now. Never mind Tetre Rouge, think we should start the Vin Rouge racing club! Chateau Talbot sounds appropriate as the inaugural bottle.

Test run on the Flying Scotsman!

Michael.
Hi michael

Unfortunately it will have to be chateau talbot as mr Bentley failed to name his cars after a decent claret........I have some 2006 which I will bring down for inspection and consumption

Nigel
Old 23 Dec 2011, 13:50 (Ref:3003553)   #61
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Wonder how long it will be before Simon notes the 64 911
Old 23 Dec 2011, 14:25 (Ref:3003564)   #62
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Old 23 Dec 2011, 17:07 (Ref:3003616)   #63
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Days probably. He's a banker! Long since left for the pub to start spending his bonus
Old 23 Dec 2011, 17:28 (Ref:3003619)   #64
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:

Werent they supposed to be called 901 in 1964 ?
Until the trouble with Peugeot..

Rudolf
Old 23 Dec 2011, 17:43 (Ref:3003628)   #65
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
don't bonus's arrive in Feb? (if Simons flurry of,'ooh look at this for sale' emaisl are anything to go by )

daft queastion maybe, but whats the point of listing less than half the entries? is it just to gee up those who's cars are projects? or confirmation your in so you can sell it at a premium?
Old 23 Dec 2011, 18:32 (Ref:3003642)   #66
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I had not looked but if you chaps paying eye wateringly high entry fees don't care then who am I to suggest otherwise?!
Old 24 Dec 2011, 00:27 (Ref:3003759)   #67
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
don't bonus's arrive in Feb? (if Simons flurry of,'ooh look at this for sale' emaisl are anything to go by )

daft queastion maybe, but whats the point of listing less than half the entries? is it just to gee up those who's cars are projects? or confirmation your in so you can sell it at a premium?

The point from Peters point of view is to confirm their obvious choices as early as possible to guarrantee well prepared cars, whatever the criteria are.
That is not as bad as You think.
At least it gives the confirmed ones the surety to prepare their entries in good time.

Monaco is muuuuuch more difficult, entries close in mid February, You get to know by end of February for a race in May.
Last time I had 10 weeks to source a 1,5 litre FPF Climax, did it buuuut juuuuuust.

I prefer the Peter/LMC system any day, and I have had it either way with them, a confirmation in December or a wait until February, but still You know early enough for July.

Remember, LMC entries are in theory still open for quite a while.
Peter sit there and watch the quality of the entries that come in, then pick the most desirable, from their point of view.

What people dont realise
Monaco
LMC
Goodwood
This has been going on for a decade now.
The quality and breadth of available racing cars has increased tremendously, so things have CHANGED.
Too many gazillioniares want in now, jumped the bandwagon
Adjust to the fact that cars that got in easy 4 years ago, wont make it today.
Any rarity that gets dug out, pushes out one universal Bentley/Lotus/Cooper/Lola
Oddities rule, left field thinking gets rewarded
I just proved it with the Kieft.

Rudolf
Old 24 Dec 2011, 08:01 (Ref:3003821)   #68
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The first list include many who are new to be accepted this early.There are another 15/20 in each grid that know they are getting an entry but not putting them on a list adds to the dramatics of the acceptance situation.Some of the great and good have been left off but there is no way they are going to be turned down.It's all politics.Rule of thumb ,max of four cars of any one type in each grid.Not much room for any more Bentleys in G1 unless they are Frogs.I'm off to buy another 901(911)!

Some people wonder why they are not on list yet but only put the entry in a couple of weeks ago.Most of ones on list submitted entries 6 to 10 weeks ago.

At 5 Grand a shot it's got to melodramatic.Problem is it's worth it!
Old 24 Dec 2011, 10:00 (Ref:3003853)   #69
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The first list include many who are new to be accepted this early.There are another 15/20 in each grid that know they are getting an entry but not putting them on a list adds to the dramatics of the acceptance situation.Some of the great and good have been left off but there is no way they are going to be turned down.It's all politics.Rule of thumb ,max of four cars of any one type in each grid.Not much room for any more Bentleys in G1 unless they are Frogs.I'm off to buy another 901(911)!

At 5 Grand a shot it's got to melodramatic.Problem is it's worth it!
John you are a man of contradictions - you say Goodwood is fake and that is why you wont accept their free invitations but you happily spend £5k a car to have as many cars as possible for a similar event and you dont even drive them!!!
As they would say at Le Mans - Ã* chacun son goût
Old 24 Dec 2011, 12:07 (Ref:3003878)   #70
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Goodwood is dangerous and most incidents are expensive for owners.The entry cost is irrelevant.
Le Mans is a proper historic race track as Monaco. Le Mans has run off areas and stuff like that.They don't make you dress in stupid costumes.Goodwood is held as one of the last bastions to perpetuate the British class system.

Goodwood was a club circuit for 18 years used a couple of times a year for international races .Highlight in its history.The 59 bonfire and Moss accident.Not to much else.

I will have three /four entries at LMC because I want to and like the place.

No particular contradiction.I have driven in past three LMC's!I am not that bothered about speed driving as I am bloody hopeless as Mr Burnett will confirm.Good at those regularity things but you need brains , imagination and patience to do those.
Old 24 Dec 2011, 12:57 (Ref:3003892)   #71
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
just had an hour to kill in a queue, spent some time over the entry

G1 / 39 accepted
4 Bentley 4,5 litre
No 6,5 litres !!

G2 / 35 accepted

G3 / 40 accepted
4 Lotus XI
3 Lotus 15
3 Lotus Elite

G4 / 23 accepted
5 (!) Ford GT 40

G5 / 34 accepted
5 (!) Lola T70
3 (!) Porsche 910

G6 / 25 accepted
3 BMW M1

It seems that the mass car slots for Bentley/Lotus/ Ford/Lola are pretty much filled.

Dust off that Rover BRM turbine car....

Rudolf
Old 24 Dec 2011, 17:58 (Ref:3003980)   #72
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I had not looked but if you chaps paying eye wateringly high entry fees don't care then who am I to suggest otherwise?!
Simon.
From a purely personal point of view. Le Mans is not solely about cars eligibilty or cost. It is something else which I do not have the intellect to adequately describe. To use a modern term "You either get it or you don`t".
I remember in 1955 hiding under the bedclothes listening to Raymond Baxter commentating from Le Mans.
I remember leaning over the gate at at the Restaurant Les Hunaudieres just after midnight in the pre-chicane days (I think 1982).
I remember after the Le Mans Classic night practice in 2008 Gregory Noblet remarked "There are Ghosts"
To have the opportunity to walk on what some of us old duffers consider Holy Ground is priceless. To actually have the opportunity to compete there; well, I am afraid Patrick Peter can charge what he likes.
Old 24 Dec 2011, 18:45 (Ref:3003986)   #73
exnigel
Rookie

Quote:
just had an hour to kill in a queue, spent some time over the entry

G1 / 39 accepted
4 Bentley 4,5 litre
No 6,5 litres !!

G2 / 35 accepted

G3 / 40 accepted
4 Lotus XI
3 Lotus 15
3 Lotus Elite

It seems that the mass car slots for Bentley/Lotus/ Ford/Lola are pretty much filled.

Dust off that Rover BRM turbine car....

Rudolf

Hi rudolf: your post set me thinking, these days a fairly unusual state of affairs, and because it was snowing outside with poor visibility, i decided to stay indoors with my anorak on and take a quick look at last years entry list.
I can therefore throw the following observations into the pot:
Last year in plateau 1 there were 9 bentleys,( a 3 litre a 41/2 blower and 7 41/2's) and 6 talbot 105's, a large proportion of which belonged to the scarlet pimpernel. I believe that plateau 1 is the one that is most difficult to fill with proper cars, not least because as JR and others have mentioned prewar racing is becoming less well supported. It seems to me that the 4 car comment made earlier is more relevant to the later age groups due to the higher demand therein.
I was also interested by your apparent surprise that there is no 61/2 litre car accepted yet. As i mentioned earlier there were none in the 2010 race, and I can't remember the last time I saw a 61/2 at the bdc races, let alone anything more serious. I suspect that is probably because they are huge and not really suited to the usual circuits with relatively short straights, and now tend to be owned and used for long distance touring. Thus even though they would suit Le mans (as evidenced by their period success), I don't think the car's owners are likely to want to race them.

Your comment about the lotuses is worth comparing with last years numbers: the final total was 4 elite's, 3 15's and 4 11's, so I would agree that the prospects if you own one of these and are not yet accepted is not good.

Now I think I need to remove my anorak and get out more.

Nigel B
Old 25 Dec 2011, 12:02 (Ref:3004132)   #74
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Eddie's explanation covers the reasons why, in many peoples eyes, LMC is the top Old Crocks event.

Whatever makes your boat float.
Old 25 Dec 2011, 15:15 (Ref:3004153)   #75
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Farrell View Post
Simon.
From a purely personal point of view. Le Mans is not solely about cars eligibilty or cost. It is something else which I do not have the intellect to adequately describe. To use a modern term "You either get it or you don`t".
I remember in 1955 hiding under the bedclothes listening to Raymond Baxter commentating from Le Mans.
I remember leaning over the gate at at the Restaurant Les Hunaudieres just after midnight in the pre-chicane days (I think 1982).
I remember after the Le Mans Classic night practice in 2008 Gregory Noblet remarked "There are Ghosts"
To have the opportunity to walk on what some of us old duffers consider Holy Ground is priceless. To actually have the opportunity to compete there; well, I am afraid Patrick Peter can charge what he likes.