Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 17 Nov 2009, 19:33 (Ref:2583681)   #301
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry to hear that the cars are up for sale Paul. It seems luck wasn't on your side this year.

I also see fellow Seat race Alex MacDowall has tested a Motorbase BMW along with Steven Kane and Andrew Jordan. MacDowall says he probably won't be looking at the BTCC until 2011, but Jordan and Kane seem to be in there for a drive, budget permitting.

I wonder where this leaves Adam and Collard, and have Airwaves signed up again?
Old 17 Nov 2009, 20:12 (Ref:2583714)   #302
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
I'm guessing it leaves them in the same situation as Kane and Jordan - namely can you provide funds to pay for your drive?

I notice in the tests that Leyland have increased their exposure on the car, with less emphasis on the Airwaves. Could we see them entered as Leyland Paints BMW next year?
Old 17 Nov 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2583742)   #303
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mac View Post
Icebaby so you think the price is to high? compared to what?give me a ring sure to sort you a deal out,but as it said open to offers.

We will be back Liam is only 19 there is a long way to go and with working with Chevrolet over the next twelve months who knows what doors that may open!
I am a huge fan of Liam and really felt he could have suprised a few people in the Seat, my knock on the price is simply how you have found running the Seats this year or not as the case may be.

If I could afford to make you an offer I would be investing in Liam allowing you to run the cars as intended, when I win the lottery I will give you a shout Paul

The Chevy link won't hurt as you say and could yeild an opening, it is a sad part to the BTCC that drivers like Liam are finding it so difficult to enter unless well funded, I hope to see him back.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 22:01 (Ref:2583801)   #304
Paul Mac
Rookie

Paul Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Realisticly if you have not got close to £500k dont even bother.
Liam wants to win or in his words have the same chance as everyone else but without that huge budget it just will not happen yes you can have a go in a lesser car but you will not win. Only the top 3or 4 cars get any TV coverage so you cannot sell it on the tv coverage. Its put up or shut up at that level.Best do the latter befor i get into trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Paul Mac; 17 Nov 2009 at 22:13.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 20:18 (Ref:2584472)   #305
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Exactly the same place they were this time last year! Motorbase have no drivers signed for 2010 yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I notice in the tests that Leyland have increased their exposure on the car, with less emphasis on the Airwaves. Could we see them entered as Leyland Paints BMW next year?
Sorry to disappoint. Leyland used the car last week at a painting and decorating exhibition in Coventry, hence to extra Leyland stickers!

The other BMW is still running all the Airwaves logos it carried during the last season.

As to what stickers the cars will have at the first round in 2010, we will have to wait and see.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 20:21 (Ref:2584474)   #306
Icebaby
Veteran

I am staggered by the figure required to compete in the BTCC and its no wonder cost cuts are proposed as your never going to get new talent into this class. You could throw all the money in the pot and buy a drive with Dynamics or RML but I guess you have looked at this route as well if you sell the cars.

I agree also on your point with the TV coverage focus only on the front runners, the only buck in the trend for budget and results is Paul O'Neill who has done a fantastic job. I hope (although you wont!) that you end up keeping one of the cars and can make an entrance next year with a different engine that gives you the reliability and power, the cars were very well presented and at the Snetterton tests I though it looked impressivethrough the high and low speed corners. I do wish you and Liam all the best, maybe the Ginetta package might be a compromise.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2584498)   #307
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
You could throw all the money in the pot and buy a drive with Dynamics
Interesting advice, considering your (often voiced) opinion on the last person to throw a wad of cash at Dynamics
Old 18 Nov 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2584516)   #308
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Interesting advice, considering your (often voiced) opinion on the last person to throw a wad of cash at Dynamics
Liam and Dave are totally different drivers in it for different reasons, I have only been against "gentleman drivers" in the view they take a space for drivers like Liam who I personally would prefer to see.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 21:43 (Ref:2584563)   #309
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Liam and Dave are totally different drivers in it for different reasons, I have only been against "gentleman drivers" in the view they take a space for drivers like Liam who I personally would prefer to see.
As I and many others have said before, the presence of well heeled gentleman drivers in the BTCC is the main reason why we've had the talent we've had there. Their budgets have funded it and long may it continue ! Gentlemen start your engines !
Old 19 Nov 2009, 23:10 (Ref:2585425)   #310
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS View Post
Sorry to disappoint. Leyland used the car last week at a painting and decorating exhibition in Coventry, hence to extra Leyland stickers!
As I said.... http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1767

Just goes to show that sponsorship does work!
Old 19 Nov 2009, 23:16 (Ref:2585430)   #311
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS View Post
As I said.... http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1767

Just goes to show that sponsorship does work!
Funny, I've never coupled Leyland Paint with sexiness before. Wonder why.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 00:45 (Ref:2585471)   #312
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Funny, I've never coupled Leyland Paint with sexiness before. Wonder why.
Because you've never seen the word 'Leyland' stretched across a big pair of breasts before?
Old 20 Nov 2009, 01:30 (Ref:2585497)   #313
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The "Leyland Lovelies". Have I woken up in 1973?

Good exposure though, I hope more non-motoring sponsors emerge in the future, as it can only enhance the series. Rather like the Super Touring days of Nescafe, Theramed, Kaliber and the rest.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2585699)   #314
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
feel sorry for Jonny though, having to work all day with such ladies... hard graft but guess it is part of being a racing driver :-)
Old 21 Nov 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2586403)   #315
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Only the top 3or 4 cars get any TV coverage so you cannot sell it on the tv coverage.
That's certainly not true.

While there always has to be an element of meritocracy (it is a race after all), the BTCC TV coverage is excellent when it comes to focussing on the closest battles rather than just following the front-runners.

Indeed there were several occasions during 2009, particularly when Turkington drove away from the front of the field, that you never saw the leader until half way around his final lap.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 14:25 (Ref:2586436)   #316
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post

While there always has to be an element of meritocracy (it is a race after all), the BTCC TV coverage is excellent when it comes to focussing on the closest battles rather than just following the front-runners.

Indeed there were several occasions during 2009, particularly when Turkington drove away from the front of the field, that you never saw the leader until half way around his final lap.
I agree
Old 21 Nov 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2586682)   #317
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post

I find it funny Paul claims this sort of stuff and says the team are off to Seat Eurocopa!

Correct me if I'm wrong here Paul, but does Supercopa have 6 hours of coverage on a main stream channel? Does Supercopa have anywhere as near supporters and fans of the series as the BTCC does?

Just wondering since I don't live in Spain, but I'm guessing the answers to both those questions will be "no".

Anyway, it's always a shame to see a team go, but with no disrespect intended (I know the situation was out of your hands) I'd almost forgot who these guys were seeing as they hadn't been out since Thruxton!
Old 24 Nov 2009, 03:11 (Ref:2588199)   #318
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any chance of a Swedish V-Dub or Volvo or Audi or Mercedes joining the Brits?
Old 24 Nov 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2588250)   #319
Paul Mac
Rookie

Jamesy-18
It just shows your total lack of knowledge re motor racing.The Seat Supercopa is the Spanish Touring Car series you get paid £1200 start money the entry fee for the season is £1000 including new overalls etc prize money per race paid down to 25th place if you could win all three races you would come away with around £15k.Total prize fund for the 6 rounds over £500k yes it is televised in Spain.

Now let me think btcc entry errrrrrr prize money errrrr could go on but it gets boring

Jamesy bet your an F1 fan

Last edited by Paul Mac; 24 Nov 2009 at 08:03.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2588336)   #320
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Jamesy-18
It just shows your total lack of knowledge re motor racing.The Seat Supercopa is the Spanish Touring Car series you get paid £1200 start money the entry fee for the season is £1000 including new overalls etc prize money per race paid down to 25th place if you could win all three races you would come away with around £15k.Total prize fund for the 6 rounds over £500k yes it is televised in Spain.
Why don't you race Liam in your new Cruze Cup next year? Not a very good advert for your own series if your son won't even race in it.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 11:48 (Ref:2588363)   #321
Paul Mac
Rookie

Dont think it would be fair if Liam raced in a championship we are putting together.Would look great if Liam won the car that would go down well wouldn,t it.
Been there and have the t shirt from Saxmax
Old 24 Nov 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2588372)   #322
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here Paul, but does Supercopa have 6 hours of coverage on a main stream channel? Does Supercopa have anywhere as near supporters and fans of the series as the BTCC does?
No, it has far more coverage than that on top-line channels, and the crowds can be massive!
Old 24 Nov 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2588387)   #323
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul is right about BTCC coverage. Think back this season, yep the cameras haven't focused on the lead for the whole race, but it rarely has shown outside of the top 10-12. You can account that for the need to show close racing, a pack of cars etc, but how often was the likes of Dave Pinkney, Martin Johnson, John George on the screen? Only when they had the odd trip off the black stuff.

No disrepect to any BTCC driver (and certainly not to any with the ability to put a car on the grid in the first place), but the ''Telly'' people want to see a group cars running together, and unless you've found the pace to run midfield or further up, then you haven't really got much chance of getting on the screen. Unless you bin it off, then its for the wrong reasons.

If you're looking at the best championship in Britain, then the BTCC is it. But if you're looking for the most exposure for your sponsors and racing partners, then unless you've got a quick car and a good run of luck, then maybe other championships are better value for money.

I really hope to see Liam back in the BTCC, who knows what doors could be opened with the Cruze contract?

Meanwhile, in other rumours.....

Giovanardi, what options does he have? SEAT look like they are scaling back WTCC efforts, (or even leaving), Chevrolet's seats look filled, BMW are making noises about cutting teams. Are there any touring car series running in Europe that appeal? Spain/Italy? I haven't followed any since the ST days. Could he be tempted by GT racing? Whatever way, he'd want (and justify) a paid drive?
Old 24 Nov 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2588412)   #324
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Giovanardi, what options does he have? SEAT look like they are scaling back WTCC efforts, (or even leaving), Chevrolet's seats look filled, BMW are making noises about cutting teams. Are there any touring car series running in Europe that appeal? Spain/Italy? I haven't followed any since the ST days. Could he be tempted by GT racing? Whatever way, he'd want (and justify) a paid drive?
I thought he was talking with Lada at one stage ?
Old 24 Nov 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2588716)   #325
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with the tv coverage comments in mind, i remember a nascar driver saying the ideal sponsor shot in a football game would be to have your logo on the ball. so he stated be the ball. dont know if it went down to well with the other drivers as he seemed to have a crash or cause something if he wasnt near the front but there you go.
Closed Thread