Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Oct 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3152411)   #1001
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTS View Post
This is a Porsche AG project that encompasses a substantial investment in new facilities and technology. The targets from inception where the 24hrs and WEC, a Sebring debut was envisaged when that was part of the WEC, the only other ALMS link has been with a Greg Pickett run privateer effort.

The new motorsport department will also be involved in a far bigger presence in GTE and a possible Cayman GT car.
Welcome and thank you!
Old 15 Oct 2012, 17:48 (Ref:3152422)   #1002
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTS View Post
This is a Porsche AG project that encompasses a substantial investment in new facilities and technology. The targets from inception where the 24hrs and WEC, a Sebring debut was envisaged when that was part of the WEC, the only other ALMS link has been with a Greg Pickett run privateer effort.

The new motorsport department will also be involved in a far bigger presence in GTE and a possible Cayman GT car.
Exactly! This has always been my understanding.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 18:51 (Ref:3152458)   #1003
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Cayman for something sub-GT3? Say Grand Am GX? There's been quite some mutterings about that...
Old 15 Oct 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3152564)   #1004
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I know that's the rumour but I highly doubt their aim was for anything but winning Le Mans - hence the first thing they said when they announced - 'Porsche is returning to Le Mans'.
Not saying this means anything at all, but still interestingly in the original press release WEC was never mentioned (remember, at the time of the announcement WEC had gone public couple of weeks ago already).

http://press.porsche.com/news/pdf/Po...eMans_2014.pdf
Old 16 Oct 2012, 00:28 (Ref:3152598)   #1005
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
You have to love the snobbery of the F1 paddock - with Porsche hiring some F1 people they have assumed they are going to start in F1 as the investment would not be worth it "only for Le Mans"

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ru...gns-f1-people/
Original source: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...1-5912134.html

Looks they have kept writing about this for past weeks:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...1-2783977.html
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...e-2785961.html
Old 16 Oct 2012, 07:37 (Ref:3152706)   #1006
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I thought this was "set in stone", that both Porsche and Audi would compete in 2014.
I hope it is - but nearly all the statements form either side go something like 'at the moment the intention is.....' or something similar, so I have always had a niggling worry that this would amount to a shift in brands within the VAG group and you would find many of the Audi people popping up at Porsche as it happens and the emphasis shifts from Audi to Porsche. The fact they are hiring from elsewhere make my worry more unfounded.

Hopefully VAG have decided with the strength of their brands they can raise the profile of sportscar racing globally to their own gain by allowing multiple brands compete and run in the same championships.

There is a massive opportunity in the emerging markets to raise the profile of the sport where the recent tradition of F1 being the traditional top level is not so prevalent.

To see at least 3 top level major manufacturers competing for overall honours is something we havent seen for a long time.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 14:33 (Ref:3152895)   #1007
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Looking at the dates of those articles they've been writing about it since Friday, 01.10.2010 and bigged it up with a follow up article the following Thursday; that's one way to sell copy, .
Old 16 Oct 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3152898)   #1008
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Whoops, didn't notice the year
Old 16 Oct 2012, 14:49 (Ref:3152907)   #1009
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Whoops, didn't notice the year
Well it's probably something they churn out every 2 years, if the dates anything to go by.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3152909)   #1010
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I really don't understand why, whenever a car maker starts to hire lots of motorsport people, journalists keep thinking it's for F1. Particularly when the aim of the programme has been fixed and established firmly.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3152914)   #1011
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I really don't understand why, whenever a car maker starts to hire lots of motorsport people, journalists keep thinking it's for F1. Particularly when the aim of the programme has been fixed and established firmly.
It keeps the readership up.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3153074)   #1012
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Simply because still many of the so called motorsport journalists are totally focussed on F1 and haven't have a clue about or interest of what else is going on.

Old 17 Oct 2012, 06:17 (Ref:3153200)   #1013
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
of course the fact that Porsche have hired other people not connected to F1 is completely ignored:

Livio Galassi - Composite Manager. Previously worked in Peogeot.
Nicolas Monteil. CFRP engineer, previously worked on Pug 908.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 07:50 (Ref:3153220)   #1014
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Any more info on who worked where before ? Its interesting .....
Old 17 Oct 2012, 17:50 (Ref:3153452)   #1015
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Porsche dismisses the Auto Motor und Sport article as pure speculation:
Quote:
This is pure speculation. We have no ambitions for Formula One. Our intention is to do Le Mans and the world sports car championship; nothing has changed. For our sporting ambitions, we need new staff from the top of motor sport. And if you need good people, of course you have to look around also in Formula One.
source: http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...ews-briefs153/
Old 17 Oct 2012, 17:58 (Ref:3153457)   #1016
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
world sports car championship
Better start calling it WEC, Porsche!
Old 17 Oct 2012, 18:34 (Ref:3153479)   #1017
Lorenzo S
Racer

England
Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Lorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Better start calling it WEC, Porsche!
Maybe they know something we don't

Old 17 Oct 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3153513)   #1018
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure Porsche would much rather it be called the World Sportscar Championship, as a sportscar manufacturer, and a big marketing pull of this project can be demonstrating the new LMP1 car as the natural successor to their WSC efforts.

The manufacturers will always argue over what it will be called. I think this e-Freudian-slip reveals what Porsche want.

Maybe we might see more Porsche articles referring to the WEC as the "world sportscar championship", in lower case letters.

Or, maybe I'm reading too much in to this. I fully expect someone older and wiser to tell me so.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3153825)   #1019
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Wouldn't really be surprised if it does get renamed in future. The old WEC already got renamed for the same reasons.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3156961)   #1020
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just thought I would post this info, last night I went to an Institute of Mechanical Engineers technical lecture from Ulrich Baretzky in London, for those of you who dont know he is Audis race engine design guru for the past 20 years........to me : legend.......at the end of the lecture (I was foaming at the mouth) he spoke quite openly about VAGs plans for Porsche and Audi in LMP1, and really its quite simple, the president of the Volkswagon group (Ferdinand Piech) who is the main decision maker and writes the cheques, who Ulrich says knows more about engineering than himself, and he refers to Piech as god - now thats saying something......anyway....Piech wants Audi to continue doing what they are doing in LMP1 with Diesel technology as 70% of Audis and VW's sold are with Diesel engines. And he wants Porsche to compete in LMP1 with gasoline technology in order to show-case gasoline engine technology to the world........therefore it appears that rumours of Audi morphing into Porsche are just not true, its swords drawn and let battle commence!!!!.........no mention whatsoever was referred to Porsche's gasoline strategy, but I think its quite safe to assume it will be a turbo engine, but who knows!!!
Old 24 Oct 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3156979)   #1021
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Thanks for the info. This dovetails nicely with what has been repeatedly stated by officials from both Porsche and VAG.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3156991)   #1022
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Just thought I would post this info, last night I went to an Institute of Mechanical Engineers technical lecture from Ulrich Baretzky in London, for those of you who dont know he is Audis race engine design guru for the past 20 years........to me : legend.......at the end of the lecture (I was foaming at the mouth) he spoke quite openly about VAGs plans for Porsche and Audi in LMP1, and really its quite simple, the president of the Volkswagon group (Ferdinand Piech) who is the main decision maker and writes the cheques, who Ulrich says knows more about engineering than himself, and he refers to Piech as god - now thats saying something......anyway....Piech wants Audi to continue doing what they are doing in LMP1 with Diesel technology as 70% of Audis and VW's sold are with Diesel engines. And he wants Porsche to compete in LMP1 with gasoline technology in order to show-case gasoline engine technology to the world........therefore it appears that rumours of Audi morphing into Porsche are just not true, its swords drawn and let battle commence!!!!.........no mention whatsoever was referred to Porsche's gasoline strategy, but I think its quite safe to assume it will be a turbo engine, but who knows!!!
I've never expecting something else from Piech, anything else really would surprise me. Piech was the man pushing Porsche on the grid of Le Mans and also leading Audi to take a step toward motorsports. For sure he isn't known to be a guy who is easy to handle with but he is a true believer of motorsports and competition...

Old 24 Oct 2012, 13:01 (Ref:3157002)   #1023
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Love it knighty. Let's go racing boys!!!!
Old 24 Oct 2012, 15:14 (Ref:3157056)   #1024
Flo aus N
Rookie

Flo aus N should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
I've never expecting something else from Piech, anything else really would surprise me. Piech was the man pushing Porsche on the grid of Le Mans and also leading Audi to take a step toward motorsports. For sure he isn't known to be a guy who is easy to handle with but he is a true believer of motorsports and competition...

and especially for le Mans! Remember, he was the man who led the Porsche 917 Project, which almost ruined Porsche!
Old 24 Oct 2012, 23:28 (Ref:3157251)   #1025
Slipknot
Rookie

United States
Texas
Slipknot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the post knighty. Baretzky is gold.