Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Dec 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1490143)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Motor Racing Types In Different Racing Machines...

The Rolex Sydney to Hobart is on again... with several notable motorsport identities involved at the front of the field....

Neville 'Croaky' Crichton, long time boss of ATECO, former ATCC driver with JPS BMW & B&H Ford is at the helm of Alfa Romeo... which is on for line honours, and if the weather gets better, maybe handicap as well...

Michael Spies at the helm of Sirromet is a former winner of the STH race, and was involved in the ownership/management of Wakefield Park at one time.... his boat is currently in the lead on handicap....

Where this is interesting... is that this race in many ways is the yachting equivalent of Bathurst, with a ragtag fleet of boats of varying speed and specification, with crew of international standing (and cost...) against the local product....

...there are haves (Alfa Romeo costs $2m or so...) and the have nots (some of the tail enders are worth <$500k...) ... just like Bathurst was in the old days....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Dec 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1490144)   #2
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just like Group C!

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 26 Dec 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1490154)   #3
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets not forget acouple of other's that have tried both

Former STH winner Warick Rooklyn, F16 Rally champ/ Formula Ford / BMW enduro driver for B&H

and Eastern Creek Karts owner/GTP hard charger Gary Holt has been at the sharp end of the STH

there would have to be more??
Old 26 Dec 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1490285)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can always remember Mr Johnson on RaceCam talking to Croaky Crichton while he was on his boat in NZ, as the Mustang was slinging round Bathurst...............
Old 26 Dec 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1490287)   #5
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Neville 'Croaky' Crichton, long time boss of ATECO, former ATCC driver with JPS BMW & B&H Ford is at the helm of Alfa Romeo... which is on for line honours, and if the weather gets better, maybe handicap as well...
...there are haves (Alfa Romeo costs $2m or so...) and the have nots (some of the tail enders are worth <$500k...) ... just like Bathurst was in the old days....
I think you will find that Alfa Romeo - the latest incarnation - may have cost significantly more than $2 million. One of the other maxis (possibly 2 - haven't seen an entry list) cost about $6 million, and if the other one that I am thinking of is entered it was close to $9 million to get to a race-fit state with all the fandango sail sets etc.

Its amazing how the two paradigms of yachting and motorsport are so closely paralleled, not only at this level but up a peg or five when comparing the America's Cup and Volvo World Ocean Race with Formula One.

Wonder how long til Croaky gets back into Supercars? He has come cuspingly close on at least one known occasion
Old 27 Dec 2005, 05:55 (Ref:1490396)   #6
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Don't forget that the cams MS personality of the year is also on Alfa Romeo this year as well.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 06:46 (Ref:1490401)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
I think you will find that Alfa Romeo - the latest incarnation - may have cost significantly more than $2 million. One of the other maxis (possibly 2 - haven't seen an entry list) cost about $6 million, and if the other one that I am thinking of is entered it was close to $9 million to get to a race-fit state with all the fandango sail sets etc.

Its amazing how the two paradigms of yachting and motorsport are so closely paralleled, not only at this level but up a peg or five when comparing the America's Cup and Volvo World Ocean Race with Formula One.

Wonder how long til Croaky gets back into Supercars? He has come cuspingly close on at least one known occasion
The $2m mentioned is related to the cost for this race alone... not the original capital cost......

I had half expected Mr Crichton to have picked up a gig in Carrera Cup....
Old 27 Dec 2005, 07:56 (Ref:1490409)   #8
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racing in the Med

Neville Crichton does his racing in the winter in the Meditteranean at the wheel of Alfa Romeo, no time to punt GT3s or V8SC.

Shame we have no room for Alfa Romeo in Aus motorsport, see the Kiwi boat sponsored by Konica Minolta while BMW are spending their sponsorship dollars on the horses - are Hyundai sponsoring the tennis this year?
Old 27 Dec 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1490412)   #9
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
Don't forget that the cams MS personality of the year is also on Alfa Romeo this year as well.
Its supposed to be a fully professional crew - who are you eluding to ?
Old 27 Dec 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1490416)   #10
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
Grant Denyer is suppoed to be on board, as part of the links to the Seven sponsorship of the yacht, and their coverage of the race.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1490432)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
Grant Denyer is suppoed to be on board, as part of the links to the Seven sponsorship of the yacht, and their coverage of the race.
He wouldnt take up much room
Old 27 Dec 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1490543)   #12
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both Alfa Romeo(the racing yacht) and Wild Oats X1 are sisterships and around 10mill each,
wont Croaky be cranky being beaten by the new sistership!!!spitting chips

Its looking like Wild Oats will win!!!

have a look at the inside of these composite marvels on the internet, looks like a carbon fibre ladder from deck level down to the cabin area-hydraulic canting keel etc >>>>>$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://www.reichel-pugh.com/racing/d118.php
deigned in USA but built in good ol Sydney at Mona Vale
Old 27 Dec 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1490556)   #13
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmm ..WILD OATS has lost speed 1.30am and Croaky is flying-he might yet win!!!
Old 27 Dec 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1490702)   #14
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
The whole hull and interior are built from CF, for strenght and light weight. Mind you, I would have thought that it would be damn slipery without any grip treatment.

I love the design of the main ladder leading from the cockpit. click here
Old 27 Dec 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1490760)   #15
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You wont get anyone who is more passionate about sailing than Michael Spies and he always has a sponsor, I think he is close to the record of doing the most Hobarts. Holt the lunatic had Spiesie as a partner for a while until Holt dudded him, the Mayor of Goulbourn reckoned that if Holt wasnt out of Wakefield when it got sold then he was going to close it down cause he (Holt)had caused so much conflict in the little town. How is Spiesie going it the Hobart, he is always on the case for a handicap win. He Skipperd Nokia when it set the record by the way.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1490771)   #16
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a look at the positions and Spiesies record has been knocked off by Wild Oats by an hour, that will **** Croaky off a bit and it is a shame for Spiesie although he is going pretty well in 34th place with 280 miles to go but the breeze appears to be gone or is on the nose as he is only doing 7 knots. By the way does any one know if Holt the looney has bought a ticket on a boat this year as I heard there was a container seen floating in Bass Straight and I thought it would be a good place for him to dissembark.