Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Jan 2015, 09:46 (Ref:3494393)   #1876
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you John, indeed we will bump into each other!

New DS 2500 pads arrived and fitted, cheaper than I paid for the Green Stuff things 5 years ago.

Front end all aligned and oil arrived for a March oil change and a very deep clean.

Have also tweeked the clutch release lever geometry and changed the seat belt positions behind my head for the Hans device.

The engine will get a balance/mixture check with my high tech Gunson colour tune as I felt it had drifted off a bit on one side, a few pops at times last year.

Class will be ever more focused and I'm in danger of coming last unless I pull my socks up.
I'll give the narrow wheels another go this season.

Above all I want to have some stress-free events and try not to get too hung up with being beaten. It irritates when some brag about it!
Old 29 Jan 2015, 13:49 (Ref:3498702)   #1877
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The restoration of my TV 175 Lambretta has taken all by massive time in the garage!

Amazing (obviously) the time you have when retired, and deciding what you want to do every day is still a novelty, but I can highly recommend it.

Gave the Lola a quick squint the other day and have all the bits ready to finish off the prep for the season which actually starts very late, end of April at Prescott Hillclimb, so a long way off.

The re-sealed wheel that lost 5 psi over an 8 hour period now still has 20 psi in it after 3 weeks; 4 slicks that hold pressure!
Wired-in an engine isolator to kill fuel pump on hard impact, always a worry to me.

Just back from Demon Tweeks for new personal safety wear, and now £1000 worse off.

I decided to go Hans this year after seeing two really nasty crunches on the hills, one at very very fast speed and one slower but far more abrupt.

A lot of us are going Hans as a result, although we do not actually have to.

However, the confusion in the sport/authorities about DIY fitting of Hans posts to your helmet is poles apart.
There is a very real danger I could DIY the posts and have the helmet rejected, although two MSA Scrutes have given me solid advice it was firmly refuted at DT today.

I now have a very nice Bell helmet with a 1000 stickers so it must be right.

30 deg Hans bought and some new vivid blue shoes as my old ones perished after 2 years...my original Sparco ones from 9 years back gave up the chase last year.

I want new overalls too, but the Team Manager/Boss/Financial controller told me to pause a while.

This late start and having loads of mid-week time will allow a trip or 2 to the airfield to see what happens when you go faster than my nerves allow me to today.
Maybe Red Bull is the answer like a lot of the quick boys drink.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 18:04 (Ref:3514875)   #1878
911thillclimber
Veteran

Just a quick update if anyone is reading!

As the first practice is in a few weeks time, I thought I should spend some quality time on the Lola.
The list is 8 lines, all priority 1 of course..
Cleaned all the rear of the car from the roll cage back, changed the oil in the engine as it has done about 40 miles and it came out clean with no bits on the sump plug.
Fresh in and fresh fuel and tried to charge the giant Red Top battery. The charger needle drops from an instant full charging to zero in about 20 seconds, always has.

Took the plugs out and all an even dark biscuit colour, very good.
Churned the engine over to get oil pressure and back in with the plugs. Two good stabs on the throttle to get fuel in and wam, the thing started!

Off with the K&N filters and checked the venture balance, all even on tick over, all 6. What's going on?

Set the gear change mechanism up and have all 4 gears and an easy reverse too. What's going on?
Thought there was too much slop in the base of the Lola made gear stick/lever, so added a good dose of weld around the 'ball' end and machined the new ball on my 'new' Drummond 1942 lathe. What a charming thing it is. (you can tell I have a lot of time on my hands?)

Now the gear change is all free of tolerances, just the slack of the old Porsche 915 selector forks Graham (917) and I are very used to.

Now need to clean the front, flush the brake fluid out and a total spanner check.
Polish the body and turn a blind eye to some of the scares now in the new fibreglass.

Out on the Loton Park hill on 4 April, first race 26th April at Prescott.

Have a plan for some airfield testing in April before the off.
My closest rival in the NG (below) will have a monster Rover V8 this year, and another ex class-mate is arriving in his 450+ bhp Saker; it never gets easier.

As with me, all the same buses come together; have battled with my old 911 gearbox in the road car (same type, 915) but with a demon gear lever gate system from the USA, that is now great, and the Lambretta is about 60% done now.

Too many toys.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4823.JPG   DSCF4821.JPG   lola 37 036.jpg  

lola 37 059.jpg  
Old 22 Mar 2015, 08:53 (Ref:3518291)   #1879
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham, I've just found some photos from Prescott taken a few years ago. What's the registration number of the Porsche please?
Old 22 Mar 2015, 23:29 (Ref:3518474)   #1880
911thillclimber
Veteran

To avoid a total 'exposure on here:

YRR XXXY

I drove it at Prescott for many years.
Old 23 Mar 2015, 00:22 (Ref:3518478)   #1881
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I'm sure there's a couple of pics of it earlier in this (monster) thread!
Old 1 Apr 2015, 16:54 (Ref:3522792)   #1882
911thillclimber
Veteran

first practice day this Saturday at Loton Park, hope it stays dry!

The car is all ready, the body went back on and the numbers on after a good waxing.
All 4 tyres have held pressure for 2 weeks with no change, that IS a first for me and this car.

Tomorrow will be practice in another way as I need to get used to fitting the Hanns unit/new helmet, so will spend some time sitting in the car in the garage fighting this new routine.
I'm sure I won't regret it, and I'll be free of that collar ring too!

The big test on Sat is the 'new' gear change mechanism; will it work and if so, how much better is it.

Prescott is the first real kick-off on25/26 April, but if Sat goes well I will get a morning at Throckmorton in a quiet corner with a few other cars and get used to leaning on the car with room for error...

As an aside, my winter distraction, the Lambretta ran for the first time today since the mega rebuild. First time I've started one since 1968..
Kick-starting makes your leg ache!!

Old 1 Apr 2015, 20:24 (Ref:3522850)   #1883
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
I'm sure there's a couple of pics of it earlier in this (monster) thread!
.............or, maybe, even the next post!
Old 2 Apr 2015, 13:08 (Ref:3523054)   #1884
911thillclimber
Veteran

Yes, the old thing is never far from camera shot.
It does more miles pushed out and back into the garage than it does on the road I think.
Like the wife, always got an eye on me!
Especially at a Car Show...
Old 4 Apr 2015, 18:09 (Ref:3523873)   #1885
911thillclimber
Veteran

Saturday and one for practice at Loton park hillclimb with about 70 others.
Purpose is to try the car and any changes.
Firstly, I had the new for me Hanns restraint to contend with and a new helmet which is not very spectacle-friendly, but by taking extra time to get in the car and sorted was not too bad. When on and all straps tight, you don't know it is there, so that was a good start.

The car's only change is the 'new' gear change mechanism which was designed and used on this gearbox when the lot sat in a Nomad sports racer.
I expected problems with the fine adjustment, and so it was!
Came back off the hill and tweeked the movement and the spring detent position that locks out 5th and reverse.
Clipping reverse gear at 60 mph is not good..

Second run was better, but 2nd and 4th were rubbery and 1st/3rd solid.
Another tweek and a third run.
It all worked inc reverse with a nice positive gate (hope you are reading this Graham/917).

Decided to leave it at that and drive the car for a further 2 runs focusing on the new brake pads (good suggestion by Sean), they have a much nicer feel than the 'dead-wood' feel of the Green Stuff pads.

So, the car is good with a better gear change, runs well, strong engine and a clean clutch action.

Hope this is the way for 2015!

The mat is not a prayer mat!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4858.JPG   DSCF4860.JPG  
Old 5 Apr 2015, 11:24 (Ref:3524050)   #1886
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
It all worked inc reverse with a nice positive gate (hope you are reading this Graham/917).

Certainly am reading this, as always, and very grateful.

My mechanism based on your drawings is all done and fitted and when the tappets are all redone and all odd bits back together I shall put some pictures up for you to see. My 917 layout proved a little more problematical, but I think it is all going to be so much better thanks to you.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 06:26 (Ref:3524939)   #1887
911thillclimber
Veteran

Good news Graham, please post a picture if you can, I know it will be a work of art!

A friend has sent a few pics of the car on track:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04862#001.jpg   DSC04867#001.jpg   DSC04864#001.jpg  

Old 9 Apr 2015, 15:29 (Ref:3525405)   #1888
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Good news Graham, please post a picture if you can, I know it will be a work of art!
Oh no it isn,t.

Light weight in construction but not overly well finished until I know it works for me alright. We will find out at Silverstone soon !!!

Will endeavour to take some pictures tomorrow, now that it is all back together.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 18:16 (Ref:3525849)   #1889
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Here you are then, some pictures of my gear change mechanism. Made base plate and shaft out of alloy and rod ends are lightweight aircraft type. Fingers crossed that it works as well as your one seems to now.

Forever grateful for your posts and drawings.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9459.jpg   IMG_9460.jpg   IMG_9461.jpg  

Old 10 Apr 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3525872)   #1890
911thillclimber
Veteran

[that looks great. Interesting you have come down the side of the mechanism, could have some advantages over my attemp!
Graham.

QUOTE=gt917;3525849]Here you are then, some pictures of my gear change mechanism. Made base plate and shaft out of alloy and rod ends are lightweight aircraft type. Fingers crossed that it works as well as your one seems to now.

Forever grateful for your posts and drawings.[/QUOTE]
Old 12 Apr 2015, 18:19 (Ref:3526709)   #1891
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
[that looks great. Interesting you have come down the side of the mechanism, could have some advantages over my attemp!
Graham.
Yes, forgive me Graham, I should have mentioned this slight departure in your original drawings.

My rear shaft was going to be at too greater angle, so I moved it to the rear to reduce that problem, without altering it effectiveness ( I hope).
Old 13 Apr 2015, 13:07 (Ref:3527026)   #1892
911thillclimber
Veteran

No need to say sorry, I've just made a part to copy yours!
I should have thought a bit deeper in the first place, but if I am careful I might just get a far straighter connection to the mechanism if I can move the silencer a bit more.

Made the parts today, welded and now painted.
I'll give Prescott a go with the shifter as it is since it worked well at Loton Park and take this rod assembly with me. Should be able to fit it in one hour if uninterrupted. (fat chance at a hillclimb paddock....)

I have made a separate collar with UJ and rod (with axial/length adjustment) so today's and this device can be swopped over at will.

you never stop on these race cars!
Old 24 Apr 2015, 17:25 (Ref:3530547)   #1893
911thillclimber
Veteran

Season kicks-off tomorrow, Prescott.

Long time ago now...

https://youtu.be/EvPQ7HvubzQ
Old 26 Apr 2015, 20:11 (Ref:3531011)   #1894
911thillclimber
Veteran

No the most enthralling weekend and a bit of a disappointment for me.
Practice on Sat was dull, a miserable pair of runs at 50 seconds, poor 2.4 starts, BUT the car ran great!
All the gears, all the time.

My close rival, now with nearly 5 litres of V8 within tenths, but few in the paddock were close to their best times of 2014, I was 3 seconds off, worst than most.

Practice run this morning before the 2 race runs was with a very slippy damp track that scared even the most talented, but one driver in an old but immaculate 70's single seater had an almighty crash at Semi-Circle and after 2 hours went to Bristol hospital by air ambulance...not good and might have been life threatening.

Such things bring you back to earth, a duff set of times verses that ..?

The 5 litre V8 NGT beat me on the second race run by a few tenths, both of us in the mid/high 49's.
If that was disappointing enough, I thought my best time at Prescott was in the 47's, it was infact the 46's and in '14 I set the very same time.
I have done 49's in my old 911 with about 1/2 the power to weight of the Lola.

So, over the hill and slipping far away.

Not a good start, plenty to consider, fancy an Elise.

lots of attrition this race day all around me, out 7 car, 8 driver class crashed to 3 drivers/3 cars and I'm helping to revive a Club mate's Audi Quattro Shorty that kissed the banking a bit hard on Tuesday.

Maybe spanners are by best skill.

Onwards and upwards, Shelsley Walsh next weekend.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 07:50 (Ref:3531706)   #1895
911thillclimber
Veteran

Just to sooth my dented ego, some facebook pics sent today:
Attached Thumbnails
prescott 151.JPG   prescott152.JPG   prescott153.JPG  

Old 30 Apr 2015, 08:06 (Ref:3532080)   #1896
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
BUT the car ran great!
All the gears, all the time.
Once again Graham, thanks for the constant commentary.

Glad car is intact and working on its first outing this season.

Had my car on rolling road yesterday and my copy of your gear change mechanism also works, BUT, it don,t arf flex !!!!!!
I,ve made it too lightweight and should have stuck to your original dimensions, but the rear linkage does work OK and has reduced the angle of the main cross shaft.
Old 3 May 2015, 20:12 (Ref:3533698)   #1897
911thillclimber
Veteran

Shelsley Walsh was wet and sloppy on practice Saturday and for the late afternoon run
I decided to quit for the day.
Sunday was pouring with rain at home but stopped at 10 and the hill started to dry, but not in the infamous Esses...lethal, and claimed several cars.
Not surprisingly, clocked a very pedestrian 40 second run, absolute rubbish and so disappointing.
Plus was the car was magic. Graham, the gear change mechanism sure does work!

Looking like I would be last in the class loosing to 2 good cars I can usually beat determination returned (!) and the car sprinted off.
After afew slips, slides and loss of traction
I came to a slow but ok 36 secs to 5th in class and first for the over 2 litre cars, the over and under 2 litre classes were merged.

Got to get my act together in the head, the car is great!

Loton Park in 2 weeks time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
Once again Graham, thanks for the constant commentary.

Glad car is intact and working on its first outing this season.

Had my car on rolling road yesterday and my copy of your gear change mechanism also works, BUT, it don,t arf flex !!!!!!
I,ve made it too lightweight and should have stuck to your original dimensions, but the rear linkage does work OK and has reduced the angle of the main cross shaft.
Old 6 May 2015, 08:41 (Ref:3534657)   #1898
911thillclimber
Veteran

Sent by a friend, tight line to the Prescott Esses...
Attached Thumbnails
lola bluebells.jpg  
Old 16 May 2015, 17:03 (Ref:3538135)   #1899
911thillclimber
Veteran

We are at Loton Park this weekend, today was 3 practice runs on a totally dry and clean track, about 1 mile long through a green deer park.

My pb is 57.41, set late last year.

So, with that in mind I've sitting at a miserable 59.4, just like everyone else, way off pb's.
What is happening?

I think since retiring my mind is so relaxed compared to when I worked 48 hours a week I'm simply way off the boil and have been at Prescott (3 secs) and Shelsley (2 secs).

Not sure what to do, but I'm certainly not going back to work!

Spanners crossed for tomorrow.

Oh, the car ran perfectly, crisp gear changes (for a Porsche 915 gearbox) and no missed changes.

Old 17 May 2015, 17:35 (Ref:3538620)   #1900
911thillclimber
Veteran

Race day today, and a mixed but positive day.
Weather cold but dry as a bone and with my pb of 57.41 on my mind, I wondered how I ever did that (in '14 and '13!).

On Resultsman, a forum for hill and speed events only I looked back at '14 and had all the hill starts and split times/speeds to hand, and my best practice yesterday were all simply showing I was slower everywhere..

First race run and a simple gear selection mistake saw me coming out of a tight right hand 90 deg bend in 4th at tick-over. I thought I had selected 2nd from third as I braked for the bend at the bottom of a down hill section.

Operator error, car fine.

Out of the bend and took 3rd and floored the throttle all the way to the kink up cedar straight, an 80 mph section that has to be 'ridden' as opposed to driven, scares the hell out of me as the consequences to coming off usually mean an air ambulance.

Up and over the top of the hill and through the very best corner ever, Museum, a hard fast corkscrew of a right hander to the finish line.

58.82 was my reward for the mistake!

Taking some learning from this my second race run gave me 2nd down the previously errant bend, short shift to 3rd and again flat out in 3rd to the Cedar kink, chicken out (the fast runners are 120 mph flat out) and off to the finish.

58.35 was my reward, 0.94 sec off my pb last September.

That was a nice finish to a weekend of excellent hillclimbing, a very full meeting and some great banter in the paddock.

I should add I came second in a 6 car class!

Been a very long time since I picked up an award.

Next up is the heart-stopping Shelsley Walsh on 6/7th June with a few adventures planned in the old 911 before hand, and back to Loton a week after Shels with that bloody 57.41 to 'have'!

Car ran good and true, stopped well on the new pads and had lots of complements passed about it.
The guy who won the class (as ever) in his 400 million bhp supercharged bike engine OMS missile tried the Lola at rest while we waited to come down.
He did not like it at all and asked why the clutch pedal was a hard as the brake pedal...