Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 May 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2462885)   #1
PULSERACING
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford
PULSERACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruno Senna . Worthy or not ?

This name is being raised more and more , and was almost the team mate of Jenson Button at Brawn this year. Experience let him down , so is he as good as the paddock says , or is uncle Ayrton his dream ticket.
Old 15 May 2009, 12:27 (Ref:2462899)   #2
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not worthy yet imo. He hasn't done enough to justify a drive.
Old 15 May 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2462911)   #3
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULSERACING View Post
This name is being raised more and more , and was almost the team mate of Jenson Button at Brawn this year. Experience let him down , so is he as good as the paddock says , or is uncle Ayrton his dream ticket.
Check out this thread, PULSERACING

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ht=bruno+senna

There is a lot of interesting comment about young Bruno.

Great username by the way...
Old 15 May 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2462933)   #4
PULSERACING
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford
PULSERACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers pal, will do
Old 15 May 2009, 23:07 (Ref:2463182)   #5
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Worthy right now, NO. Only even being considered because of the name. He was pretty good on the jet ski with Ayrton though , back in the day.
Old 16 May 2009, 00:27 (Ref:2463202)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Not worthy yet imo. He hasn't done enough to justify a drive.
If Nelson Piquet Jr. was worthy enough for Flavio Briatore to bring him a racing F1 contract, then Bruno Senna of course is proven worthy to be contracted by any F1 team... except Renault I think.
Old 16 May 2009, 03:49 (Ref:2463233)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Who is this chap anyway?
Old 16 May 2009, 04:46 (Ref:2463237)   #8
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Who is this chap anyway?
2008 GP2 Series runner-up, won at Monaco and Silverstone rounds.
2006 UK F3 finished third in the champ.
Not bad if you considered he started in F. BMW during mid-2004 after years of being stopped of any racing activity.

Perhaps, related to Ayrton, he is as good as Damon Hill was related to his father Graham, so even in that case is worthy to see him in.
Old 16 May 2009, 09:21 (Ref:2463331)   #9
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
If Nelson Piquet Jr. was worthy enough for Flavio Briatore to bring him a racing F1 contract, then Bruno Senna of course is proven worthy to be contracted by any F1 team... except Renault I think.
I didn't rate Piquet before he got to F1 either and he got there by reasons other than talent - name and finance to name but two. The guy is out of his depth. Senna wouldn't do any better. There are better drivers out there than either of these two right now more worthy of a chance - e.g. Adam Carroll, Anthony Davidson, Grosjean if he wins GP2 this year.
Old 16 May 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2463490)   #10
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I rated Piquet before he came into F1...on the other hand, I've never really rated Carroll and Davidson. Grosjean's good, though

As for Bruno, I think he's pretty good. Not exactly a new superstar but he's more worthy of a place than Nakajima - now there's a driver who's in it on backing and name rather than talent. At least Piquet has won junior series titles and challenged Lewis in GP2...
Old 16 May 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2463494)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Everyone seems to be "good" right up until the time they jump into an F1 car and then they either get better or they get worse.Funny thing is F1.
Old 16 May 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2463503)   #12
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed. It's funny how drivers can be mediocre in some series and then become good as they grasp more powerful cars, or vice versa. Vettel is a good example - dominated FBMW, but didn't look so good in F3, and yet is now a future F1 superstar. You'd have to wonder how good di Resta would be in F1, although just because he beat Vettel doesn't mean he would be even better

The thing with Piquet is that he was in a family-run team for ages where he was centre of attention. Maybe that distorted things a bit. I'm sure he is a fundamentally talented driver despite what we've seen. I just think his head's messed up like Pizzonia's was after getting hammered by the man in my avatar

Funnily enough, Mark was never outstanding in the junior formulae but has matured into one of the best guys out there
Old 16 May 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2463524)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Bourdais is another example.Peerless in Champ Cars,Four time consecutive champion with some stunning drives.And then in F1.............
Old 16 May 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2463541)   #14
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula One should be about the best drivers and in my view that means multiple championship winners or multiple race winners in multiple formula. Not someone who has had the odd win here and there. Is it any surprise that Hamilton has been so good. He has been winning since he was a kid.
Old 16 May 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2463554)   #15
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
So has Piquet, though...

Junior formulae are largely irrelevent. Some drivers do better or worse in F1. Plus if it was about finding the best drivers, then we'd have seen the likes of Tommy Byrne in a top drive

It's an incredibly difficult business, is talent-spotting. And unfortunately those talents aren't just related to driving racing cars very fast
Old 16 May 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2463557)   #16
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
So has Piquet, though...

Junior formulae are largely irrelevent. Some drivers do better or worse in F1. Plus if it was about finding the best drivers, then we'd have seen the likes of Tommy Byrne in a top drive

It's an incredibly difficult business, is talent-spotting. And unfortunately those talents aren't just related to driving racing cars very fast
For me Tommy Byrne is possibly the driver not to make it.
Old 16 May 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2463571)   #17
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruno is a good driver but not a great driver, no where near to his Uncle in terms of talent.
I watched both Bruno and Ayrton in F3 Ayrton was awesome, Bruno good.
Old 16 May 2009, 18:56 (Ref:2463574)   #18
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
WORTHY.

He's racing in the Le Mans series and will race at the 24 hours with ORECA

He kept right up with the Peugeots at Spa (which are about 2 secs quicker a lap with Christian Klien or Wurz at the wheel, former F1 drivers), hes very very quick. In sportscars, there are cars which are slower from other classes, so you need to be able to dispose of them well to make up time - he did make one mistake, but if anything, he is a risk taker - you need that in F1.

What he will learn in Sportscars/Endurance racing will be invaluable - he will learn how to nurse a car and keep to a race stratergy - and you need an incredible amount of stamina to be blasting around Le Mans at 330 Km/H at 3 am in the wet, during a 2 hour stint.

Also, in he's helped develop the new ORECA sportscar, and you can't develop a single-make series car can you!
Old 16 May 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2463584)   #19
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's unfair to keep comparing hom to Ayrton. How many other drivers in the junior series have such a great driver as their benchmark, We should be comparing him to other guys in those series and the guys already in F1 at the moment. I think Bruno has devloped really well considering his short career, and plenty of other guys have got into F1 having finished lower down than second in GP2. I would have liked to see him trying to get the GP2 title under his belt this year really but I think he would do a good job in without that.
Old 16 May 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2463587)   #20
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Bruno is a good driver but not a great driver, no where near to his Uncle in terms of talent.
I watched both Bruno and Ayrton in F3 Ayrton was awesome, Bruno good.
I raced in FF1600 the same year Ayrton won it and i can assure you that even at that stage he was awesome.
Old 17 May 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2464028)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post

It's an incredibly difficult business, is talent-spotting. And unfortunately those talents aren't just related to driving racing cars very fast.
If junior formulae are largely irrelevant, how are F1 teams to know where they should look for new talent? I agree that they are not an absolute guide, but they must be a good starting point.
Old 17 May 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2464046)   #22
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I reckon he's worthy, although as has been discussed it is impossible to know for certain whether a driver will sink or swim until they get to this top flight category, despite looking at the form book hitherto their arrival.

The most striking thing with Bruno is his results in spite of his lack of formative racing experience. All those missed years of the extraordinarily competitive world of karting must be a disadvantage.

Honda mentioned good things about him after his winter tests, although that said I don't know whether that accounts for much, or whether teams tend to be 'PR' friendly like that as long as the driver does okay. Not choosing him was perhaps in part due to the lack of testing drivers get now.
Old 17 May 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2464102)   #23
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I reckon he's worthy, although as has been discussed it is impossible to know for certain whether a driver will sink or swim until they get to this top flight category, despite looking at the form book hitherto their arrival.
Indeed. Most people including me, have been pleasantly surprised by Buemi's performance so far this season, but Toro Rosso were sensible enough to give him a lot of testing over the winter.
Quote:
The most striking thing with Bruno is his results in spite of his lack of formative racing experience. All those missed years of the extraordinarily competitive world of karting must be a disadvantage.
I've always thought that and talked about 'the missing decade', but we know that he had plenty of 'fun' karting with Ayrton and, now I think about it, I doubt if there could be anything much more competitive than that.
Quote:
Honda mentioned good things about him after his winter tests, although that said I don't know whether that accounts for much, or whether teams tend to be 'PR' friendly like that as long as the driver does okay. Not choosing him was perhaps in part due to the lack of testing drivers get now.
I'm sure that was the reason. Ross Brawn has continued to say good things about him in TV interviews during the season, which he is not obliged to do and I don't think would unless he meant them.
Old 17 May 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2464110)   #24
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think perhaps he's worthy of being given a go, because I like to see new drivers coming in and, like Born Racer said, his results are impressive considering his relative lack of experience. The real shame is that with so little testing it's much harder for teams to evaluate new drivers, so potentially they're either being thrown in at the deep end with not enough time in the car or they get bypassed because it's too big a risk.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 May 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2464115)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Same with Zanardi, amazing in Champ Cars, second rate in F1 when he returned in 1999.