Old 14 May 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2462641)   #26
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Fisichella to retire. Barrichello as well possibly.
Not sure if they'll retire or 'be retired'. Barichello was heard talking about doing 300 GPs recently. He'll officially retire when he goes two seasons without a ride. However, he may be in luck next year. Peter Windsor wants two US drivers, but also wants one with experience, but Scott Speed isn't coming back. It sounds like Windsor is going to have one American and one forein (experienced) driver. He is an unabashed Barichello fan.

I'm officially starting the Barrichello to USGP in 2010 rumor
Old 14 May 2009, 22:40 (Ref:2462665)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've heard the best american drivers are brazilian drivers,err... well south americans ! What's that name again ? CastroNeves ?
Old 15 May 2009, 03:34 (Ref:2462725)   #28
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut7 View Post
i know it's early but there is rumour that Webber is going to Renault
link or it didn't happen!

the way they are going this year i expect no changes at RBR interms of drivers should they be on the grid.
Old 15 May 2009, 04:04 (Ref:2462727)   #29
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Webber to Brawn?

Not So Silly ,

If RBR continue however i would expect to see them lock their current drivers in as they are doing the job atm quite well.
Old 15 May 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2462793)   #30
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Hulkenberg to get promoted to a Williams race seat to replace BMW-bound Rosberg. According to TS
And Toyota to replace Nakajima with Kobayashi alongside him.
Old 16 May 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2463430)   #31
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut7 View Post
US Grand Prix - Cosworth
#18 Kyle Busch
we've come across this before...any merit to it?
i hope so....i'd like to see him lose more
he would even keep his number...how nice!

on the subject of USGPC; i've seen them all listed as possible. AJ Allmendinger, Scott Speed, Helio and now mark weber and kyle....who knows what?
Old 16 May 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2463442)   #32
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All i can say is on USF1/GPE/Who cares? topic is, will it even happen? A lot of strong sources are suggesting it won't.
Old 16 May 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2463444)   #33
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
All i can say is on USF1/GPE/Who cares? topic is, will it even happen? A lot of strong sources are suggesting it won't.
The person posting before you cares..
Old 16 May 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2463457)   #34
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
The person posting before you cares..
more like curious as to who will waste a year getting lapped in a POS before the team folds.
Old 16 May 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2463459)   #35
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
more like curious as to who will waste a year getting lapped in a POS before the team folds.
POS = portion of excrement I presume.

But if Toyota can spend 3 billion on not winning then I see no reason why someone else can't do the same for less.
Old 16 May 2009, 15:41 (Ref:2463461)   #36
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
POS = portion of excrement I presume.

But if Toyota can spend 3 billion on not winning then I see no reason why someone else can't do the same for less.
true on both accounts
Old 18 May 2009, 07:27 (Ref:2464326)   #37
nycuk
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Who's suggesting that? Got any links?
Old 18 May 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2464683)   #38
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm. Williams aiming above their station?

I'd have thought it would've been Hulkenberg + AN Other, presumably someone experienced like Trulli or even Rubens. But not 2 established drivers - they'd be mad to keep Hulkenberg waiting otherwise he'll quickly disappear
Old 18 May 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2464695)   #39
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's difficult, as Rosberg is highly rated and (I expect to have things thrown at me, but here goes) Nakajima will get a lot better when he calms down.

US GPE could exist, it could not. Alexander Rossi is one option they have, he's doing IFM this year. Ryan Hunter-Reay could be an option. What about ... Scott Speed? Jonny Hildebrand has done some A1GP, but I don't follow it much - it is a yardstick, but only against drivers like Narain Karthikeyan.

Surely someone will pick up Bruno Senna. Kamui Kobayashi is a good driver, but he is in a relationship with Toyota. I think Davide Rigon will do rather will in GP2 this year, after his domination of SuperLeague Formula last year.
Old 18 May 2009, 17:48 (Ref:2464697)   #40
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rosberg is going to better things. And Nakajima won't get better when he calms down because he's just slow - if he calms down any more, he'll be even slower
Old 18 May 2009, 18:02 (Ref:2464703)   #41
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
USGPE are definitely up and running and fully intend to lodge an entry.They will also be known as 'Team USF1' officially!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75428
Old 18 May 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2464771)   #42
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Rosberg is going to better things. And Nakajima won't get better when he calms down because he's just slow - if he calms down any more, he'll be even slower
Well based on his performances (even taking into account the general theory that he's been let down by Williams' strategy) so far this year I would say that he ain't actually gonna be too high on the shopping lists of the top 3 or 4teams on pure ability alone. However, the Rosberg 'package' in terms of marketing is appealing.

He's into his 4th year in F1 and I don't see too many consistent signs of greatness on the cards. Deserving of an F1 drive he maybe, but ultimately capable of troubling the real topliners, not so sure.

Mind you Button was always highly regarded by most 'insiders' and less so by most 'outsiders' when he was struggling and look how he's gone now in the right car so I'd better not go rubbishing Nico too hastily!!!

As for the USGP team is there really an outstanding US driver candidate at present who is actually experienced enough for a drive? I'd like to have seen RH-R given a shot a few years ago but I doubt he'll get a go.

Simiarly how wonderful would it have been to have Rick Mears or Jeff Gordon in F1 when they were in their prime?!!!

Bruno Senna is sure to be signed up by one of the teams next season and I would've thought that Grosjean; Di Grassi and maybe Maldonado will be looking at drives if they are consistently front runners in GP2 this year.
Old 18 May 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2464801)   #43
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I think Nico would be a solid number 1.5 to someone like Lewis (they did go after him for last year) or maybe even Alonso at Ferrari (I have heard his name linked with them)

He's not going to be a world champion but I think the car is flattering to deceive in practice. It's not a brilliant car. They've been caught by the likes of Ferrari and McLaren already
Old 18 May 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2464869)   #44
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
USGPE are definitely up and running and fully intend to lodge an entry.They will also be known as 'Team USF1' officially!

I don't care for the name, it sounds like A1GP..
Old 19 May 2009, 01:16 (Ref:2464894)   #45
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah - definitely is up and running !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Anderson
We really need to run two American drivers, if this is really going to work. Having USF1 based in Oxfordshire with a couple of Brazilians just isn't going to fly!
He must tell this to the IRL series... that pretty much sums up the category over the last decades !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Anderson
The Americans are out there – there are 370 million people in the United States and if you look back at anything we put our mind to, we generally do pretty good.
Another hollywood production, like the oscar of best movie this year.
Old 19 May 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2465251)   #46
nycuk
Veteran

England
Not a great deal here we don't already know http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21478.html but interesting reading none the less.
Old 19 May 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2465343)   #47
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Well based on his performances (even taking into account the general theory that he's been let down by Williams' strategy) so far this year I would say that he ain't actually gonna be too high on the shopping lists of the top 3 or 4teams on pure ability alone. However, the Rosberg 'package' in terms of marketing is appealing.

He's into his 4th year in F1 and I don't see too many consistent signs of greatness on the cards. Deserving of an F1 drive he maybe, but ultimately capable of troubling the real topliners, not so sure.
I agree with that. I don't think that he looks like the future champion that people seemed to think he was a couple of years ago. Undoubtedly talented, but I'm not sure he's doing anything right now to have the top teams chasing after him.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 20 May 2009, 00:31 (Ref:2465463)   #48
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah - definitely is up and running !

He must tell this to the IRL series... that pretty much sums up the category over the last decades !

Another hollywood production, like the oscar of best movie this year.
Agree 100% this team sounds rather bogus to me, bunch of chit chat..
Old 20 May 2009, 02:04 (Ref:2465474)   #49
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
I agree with that. I don't think that he looks like the future champion that people seemed to think he was a couple of years ago. Undoubtedly talented, but I'm not sure he's doing anything right now to have the top teams chasing after him.
I think he could be rejuvenated at a new team. So far he's started 4 seasons at Williams, all beginning with optimism of that first win in years, but never eventuating to more than upper midfield by years end. The last couple of seasons's he's issued the warning that he wants a winning car at some point soon, and for whatever reason extended his contract with Williams in that process.

Maybe if he had more than Wurz and Nakajima to spur him on the last couple of years once the early season promise dies off, people would have a higher opinion.
Old 20 May 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2465539)   #50
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I think he could be rejuvenated at a new team. The last couple of seasons's he's issued the warning that he wants a winning car at some point soon, and for whatever reason extended his contract with Williams in that process.

Maybe if he had more than Wurz and Nakajima to spur him on the last couple of years once the early season promise dies off, people would have a higher opinion.
I think both team and driver extended because neither had a significantly better alternative at the time I think?

Rosberg's been quick and contributed to the coffers but despite him apparently being a 'technical' driver we haven't seen much real car development skills from him.

Therefore drivers like Wurz would have been huge benefit to Williams. In fact even if they keep Nico next season they'll need a younger version of someone like Wurz in the other car, a quickish experienced seasoned driver, to help positively develop the car now there's no testing?