Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Feb 2024, 07:14 (Ref:4195049)   #26
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The damage has likely already been done. By not paying one cent to competitors from their Stan booty ARG made TCR hugely more expensive to run than other categories.

Given the mass exodus of categories from ARG I feel it's not a question of if but when TCR finds itself under new management.
Old 5 Feb 2024, 10:42 (Ref:4195155)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Most interesting thing to be done this weekend…

Put Mr Kostecki in a TCR car.. and pump up having the reigning V8Supercar champion in the car…
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Feb 2024, 11:03 (Ref:4195160)   #28
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just no reason why he would do it.

Keeping a low profile.

ARG trying to sell the spin of growth this year despite all the recent news of guys who can't continue, I retorted to ARG's claim and it was liked by lots of people including Michael Clemente.

I'm scared they choked it to death and FTA now may not save it.
Old 5 Feb 2024, 14:16 (Ref:4195185)   #29
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I'm scared they choked it to death and FTA now may not save it.
I don't think British TCR has FTA, or any TV other than streaming, yet it seems to have strong grids. I wonder if the problem is entry fees being too high?

Or just the cultural issue of 4 cylinder front wheel drive touring cars not being popular with racers, unlike in the UK where there are a wide range of categories feeding TCR and BTCC [like MC250 Hot Hatch, Civic Cup, Clios, MINIs] far beyond the Circuit Excel > TCR progression in Australia?
Old 5 Feb 2024, 23:44 (Ref:4195259)   #30
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I don't think British TCR has FTA, or any TV other than streaming, yet it seems to have strong grids. I wonder if the problem is entry fees being too high?

Or just the cultural issue of 4 cylinder front wheel drive touring cars not being popular with racers, unlike in the UK where there are a wide range of categories feeding TCR and BTCC [like MC250 Hot Hatch, Civic Cup, Clios, MINIs] far beyond the Circuit Excel > TCR progression in Australia?
Perception, TCR was tarred with the Super Touring brush in Australia from the aspect that many saw TCR as a successor to super tourers and it being introduced to rival or compete against Supercars

ARG is all of their ownership forms though have never said they were competing against Supercars though.

TCR Australia page claiming there is still more drivers to announce?

At best I’d guess 14? Perhaps as little as 11 or 12
Old 6 Feb 2024, 03:02 (Ref:4195274)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

New pilot for the Cupra
Old 6 Feb 2024, 03:41 (Ref:4195281)   #32
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Perception, TCR was tarred with the Super Touring brush in Australia from the aspect that many saw TCR as a successor to super tourers and it being introduced to rival or compete against Supercars
Super Tourers was absolutely wonderful, I love them, UK fans love them!

It was always bizarre that Australian fans did not seem to like them...

TCR UK sits happily alongside the premier BTCC category, both wonderful touring car categories.

Quote:
ARG is all of their ownership forms though have never said they were competing against Supercars though.
That ARG also has Trans Am doesn't help I think. It dilutes the entries across multiple categories.

In TCR UK events, TCR is the clearly defined "top" category.
Old 6 Feb 2024, 09:47 (Ref:4195313)   #33
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was always bizarre that Australian fans did not seem to like them...
They did like them to an extent in 1995 and 1996, grids were generally good and it existed on its own as an alternative to V8s but their paths weren’t crossing.

That all changed in 1997 when they were offered the Bathurst 1000 and AVESCO fuelled an “us or them” war.

Quote:
That ARG also has Trans Am doesn't help I think. It dilutes the entries across multiple categories.

In TCR UK events, TCR is the clearly defined "top" category.
TCR Australia has never been billed as the top category by the likes of Trans-Am and particularly TCM stated that they felt TCR got preferential treatment , particularly when it came to broadcast times etc…

The race formats never really indicated TCR was the main show, other than they raced last.
Old 6 Feb 2024, 09:49 (Ref:4195316)   #34
Mixer
Veteran

Kelvin o'Reilly fuelled the attacks on Supercars from 2L and it was suicide.

British TCR has YouTube and if you ask me that is better than any FTA.
Old 6 Feb 2024, 09:55 (Ref:4195319)   #35
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Kelvin o'Reilly fuelled the attacks on Supercars from 2L and it was suicide.
What did Kelvin say?
Old 6 Feb 2024, 10:50 (Ref:4195327)   #36
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

New pilot for the Cupra
I wonder who actually owns this vehicle?

Mr C. Cox?

ARG?

MPC?

The Clemente family?
Old 6 Feb 2024, 11:34 (Ref:4195333)   #37
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
What did Kelvin say?
Lots of "dinosaur" comments and so on after they did the deal for the traditional Bathurst weekend.

And we know how that turned out.
Old 6 Feb 2024, 12:02 (Ref:4195337)   #38
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Lots of "dinosaur" comments and so on after they did the deal for the traditional Bathurst weekend.

And we know how that turned out.
I think you are confusing Kelvin with what members of the Bathurst 1000 Event Management were saying

Kelvin certainly stood his ground when Cochrane took aim, but I have never seen it reported or him quoted anywhere as calling V8Supercars dinosaurs
Old 6 Feb 2024, 21:27 (Ref:4195431)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 6 Feb 2024, 21:59 (Ref:4195436)   #40
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I think you are confusing Kelvin with what members of the Bathurst 1000 Event Management were saying

Kelvin certainly stood his ground when Cochrane took aim, but I have never seen it reported or him quoted anywhere as calling V8Supercars dinosaurs
Agree.

I do think that Mr Gow was fairly negative about V8Supercars - saw an interview with him a couple of years ago where he said that he regretted the way he handled it all and would do it differently if he had his time over.
Old 6 Feb 2024, 23:12 (Ref:4195437)   #41
one five five
Veteran

15 car entry confirmed with O’Keefe in the Lynk

Not a big grid but certainly bigger than I think many were expecting, me included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Agree.

I do think that Mr Gow was fairly negative about V8Supercars - saw an interview with him a couple of years ago where he said that he regretted the way he handled it all and would do it differently if he had his time over.
Gow definitely was on the attack. I always felt Kelvin perhaps wished the Bathurst war never happened (or that Alan Gow said no to Super Tourers being eligible for the 1000) and the ASTC could have kept doing its own thing to the side of V8s.
Old 6 Feb 2024, 23:42 (Ref:4195440)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Correct.

Though I’ve never established it the reason Sweeney was in the old model was because they couldn’t afford two new models, or because Hyundai wanted them to keep advertising the hatch model alongside the sedan?
Both HMO pilots will be in the older car this weekend due to a ‘minor technical issue’ with the new one…
Old 8 Feb 2024, 07:52 (Ref:4195675)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Hmmmm…
Old 8 Feb 2024, 10:04 (Ref:4195686)   #44
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Agree.

Also I think everyone on the Super Touring side of the Bathurst battle overestimated how deep Channel 7’s pockets were.
Old 8 Feb 2024, 10:13 (Ref:4195690)   #45
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Also I think everyone on the Super Touring side of the Bathurst battle overestimated how deep Channel 7’s pockets were.
And they thought the V8 mob wouldn’t attract the sponsors, the punters at venue and on the teev….
Old 8 Feb 2024, 11:38 (Ref:4195707)   #46
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Hmmmm…
Wildcard as in a late TCR entry for this weekend?

Or wildcard as in Lowndes partner for Sandown and Bathurst?
Old 8 Feb 2024, 12:07 (Ref:4195710)   #47
Mixer
Veteran

Nice bit of modern marketing.
Old 9 Feb 2024, 01:18 (Ref:4195817)   #48
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Could be - it's always easier to be bullish when you're risking someone else's money.
Old 9 Feb 2024, 02:32 (Ref:4195827)   #49
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
FTA protecting an established successful product.
Old 9 Feb 2024, 03:08 (Ref:4195831)   #50
Mixer
Veteran

The issues with getting mass interest in TCR have roots in the same issues that saw 2L cars struggle for mainstream appeal 25 years ago.
Even without the implosion of the categories overseas the writing was on the wall.