Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 8 Jan 2007, 16:29 (Ref:1809729)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Demister/heater broken

Any suggestions on why my demister/heater has suddenly stopped working on my Peugeot? Checked all the fuses but nothing has blown. Apart from taking it into a garage, which I cant afford right now, anything simple/obvious that I can check myself?
Old 8 Jan 2007, 16:47 (Ref:1809737)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
damnit, i read that as "hamster broken"... i thought your engine had given up.

as you were, sorry
Old 8 Jan 2007, 16:53 (Ref:1809740)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Is it just not warming up or is the fan dead?
Old 8 Jan 2007, 16:59 (Ref:1809746)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Nothing at all from the fan. No heat, no, erm, blow...
Old 8 Jan 2007, 17:13 (Ref:1809751)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So all the fuses are ok... is there a relay that controls the system? does it go 'click!' when you turn/press/pull/hit the switch? Is there another one that's the same type so you could try swapping them?

Apart from that, I have no idea!
Old 9 Jan 2007, 01:55 (Ref:1810095)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Any suggestions on why my demister/heater has suddenly stopped working on my Peugeot? Checked all the fuses but nothing has blown. Apart from taking it into a garage, which I cant afford right now, anything simple/obvious that I can check myself?
Do you have an electrical schematic/wiring diagram?

Many electrical "failures" can be attribute to poor ground connections. The schematic SHOULD indicate if there are multiple devices connected to the same place on the chassis. Should not exceed THREE on one screw.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1810216)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I assume you've tried the simple mechanical trick of hitting it? (That worked with my dash lights - one hefty whack and they started working again.) The switch itself is probably dead - get yerself down to a breakers and get another one (I'm assuming it's not some obscure model you've got).
Old 9 Jan 2007, 14:50 (Ref:1810432)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
I assume you've tried the simple mechanical trick of hitting it?
It's a Peugeot so that's probably not a good idea! If you do, make sure you pick up all the bits afterwards...
Old 9 Jan 2007, 15:47 (Ref:1810470)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle
It's a Peugeot so that's probably not a good idea! If you do, make sure you pick up all the bits afterwards...
Oi! Mine's a Pug too you know
Old 10 Jan 2007, 18:06 (Ref:1811631)   #10
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a peugeot and once, after disassembling the dashboard I encountered the same problem. Thing is that underneath the fan know there is a very small metallic mart that is anchored to the know and runs through a couple of "tracks" in the dashboard. In other words, this little piece of metal does the same that a potentiometer does.

In my case it had fallen off therefore when I turned the knob nothing happened as this metallic part closes the circuit. Perhaps you should check that piece out and see if it's there and, if so, that it isn't burned or worn or has any other condition that would keep it from making good contact with the tracks.

(don't know if I made myself clear)
Old 11 Jan 2007, 23:10 (Ref:1812826)   #11
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I understood that correctly...

The contacts of the switch aren't... contacting.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 00:58 (Ref:1812872)   #12
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
If I understood that correctly...

The contacts of the switch aren't... contacting.
Mhhh....well.....a somewhat shorter version but......yes
Old 19 Jan 2007, 08:01 (Ref:1819105)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even shorter "switch is broken"

Last edited by John Turner; 21 Jan 2007 at 10:27. Reason: No Terence, that is autocensor evasion!
Old 19 Jan 2007, 23:18 (Ref:1819898)   #14
Sharky
Veteran

But, come on! Who doesn't like a nice story about a broken heater?
Old 21 Jan 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1820871)   #15
GreenSaxo
Racer

England
Ashford, Kent
GreenSaxo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what model of peugeot is it?

does the power steering still work? (if you had power steering to start with)

not sure on the posting of links...

but this thread on a saxo forum i moderate... might help...

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27609
Old 7 Feb 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1835683)   #16
mike_slh
Rookie

Denmark
Plymouth
mike_slh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a 106 and my blower has gone completely, the fuses are fine and there are no loose wires. I went to my local Peugeot Garage to get a new switch and was told that in all their time dealing with my problem they had replaced only one switch, but hundreds of heater units, he quoted me a price of around £100 for the part. I had managed to get away without it, until today when my screen had ice on the inside as well as out and there was no way i could see anything despite my best efforts to clear it.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 12:08 (Ref:1836212)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
You can get small 12V heaters that plug into your lighter socket - that should be enough to keep the screen clear once you've scraped the outside. It won't be as effective as the cars own system would be (and obviously can't be re-directed as easily) but it would be cheaper. We used 2 of them in the rally car to keep the screen clear (although they were permanently wired in rather than temporary).
Old 10 Feb 2007, 21:07 (Ref:1838272)   #18
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Tis all fixed now... it was some sort of little plug in thingy that was busted. Cost me the earth But at least it's nice and warm in the car now All I need now is a radio and I'm all set for another years motoring hehe