Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 Jul 2011, 00:00 (Ref:2927264)   #1
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best of the current era?

So I'm wondering who everybody rates as the best overall driver and the purely fastest driver in F1 at the moment?

I'm assuming most of you will say Alonso is the best complete package, while Hamilton is fastest on raw speed.

However I'm wondering how close Vettel is getting to those two. He's obviously very fast and could be equal on raw speed to Hamilton, but he's making no mistakes this year (excluding practice sessions). Look at how many mistakes Hamilton and Schumacher have made this year. Vettel's only error came in Canada where he ran wide in the wet.

The other thing that intrigues me about Vettel is how he's not overdriving much, and only pushing the car to it's limits when he really needs to, which is making him into a great overall driver. Not overdriving and conserving the tyres, and no real mistakes since August's Belgium GP last year. Add to that the fact he's won 6 races this year in a car that isn't dominant at all in race trim (either McLaren or Ferrari have been right on his tail at most races).

And while Alonso might be a 2 time champion, he really had a lot of luck those years as nothing seemed to go McLarens way in 2005, despite their dominant car, and 2006 would have gone to Schumacher had he not suffered reliability issues in the last 2 rounds.