Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 29 Nov 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1777742)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tailgating

Hey guys,

I might only be old enough to have a learner's license, but I've already had it with idiots on highways tailgating me at 80 km/h. Maybe it's because I'm on my L's and they're not smart enough to realise I can only legally go 80 km/h, I don't know. Here's a hint guys: The road is two and even three lanes wide, use them. Don't get annoyed and start tailgating me when I'm doing MY legal speed limit. It's stupid and quite dangerous... If I braked suddenly... Bang straight into the back of me. And when it's a 4WD and I'm only in a sedan that's not good!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Nov 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1777804)   #2
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've ranted about tailgating here before Chatters, it's one of my pet hates!
Old 29 Nov 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1777827)   #3
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just slowly slow down, eventually they get the hint, though if you're in the right lane, get the hell out of it! I'll always get out of the way if someone wants to go faster in the right lane, because I'd want that if I was in the other person's situation.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 30 Nov 2006, 05:58 (Ref:1778296)   #4
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stupid law in NSW in my opinion Chatters, but keep at it.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 02:39 (Ref:1779188)   #5
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuiE
I just slowly slow down, eventually they get the hint, though if you're in the right lane, get the hell out of it! I'll always get out of the way if someone wants to go faster in the right lane, because I'd want that if I was in the other person's situation.

Aint no way I'm gonna move if I'm in the right.....
Old 2 Dec 2006, 02:27 (Ref:1779942)   #6
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean the right lane, or 'in the right'? The right lane is for overtaking, so if you're not overtaking or turning right there isn't any point in being there is there?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 2 Dec 2006, 04:04 (Ref:1779956)   #7
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Better than being stuck up my tail because I can't go any faster!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 2 Dec 2006, 11:27 (Ref:1780240)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Meh...they're merely slipstreaming.
Old 2 Dec 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1780257)   #9
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol, see Caterham Racing for definition. Does seem a stupid law to me, i mean how can you learn to control a car at the max legal limit if you're not allowed to get to it? I think it should be mandatory to have at least one lesson on a motorway before you pass your test, would save so many silly accidents.

As for tailgating, i do what Stuie does and slowly reduce my speed. Not that i'm going slow enough to be tailgated very often mind
Old 2 Dec 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1780503)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Car do you drive Chatters?
Old 2 Dec 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1780543)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This annoys me a great deal and I am just a passenger these days, as I don't drive yet.

I fear how I will react when I am driving myself.

I suspect it will go along the lines of slamming the brakes on and causing the car behind to crash into me, getting out and dragging the offender out of the car and behind a bush and stamping on his testicles repeatedly.
Old 3 Dec 2006, 03:45 (Ref:1780635)   #12
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Oh, theres a little way to get around this.

Find the point on your car where you can light up the brake lights, but the brakes don't actually engage. At that point, accelerate hard. I know your not allowed to go over 80km legally, but hey, you only gotta go over for about 5 seconds. The lights going on should scare the driver, causing him to slow down, while you take off, he should get the hint then.

Disclaimer

I do not promote or endorse this kind of behaviour, and I will have no recollection of telling you this if you get caught, lol.
Old 3 Dec 2006, 08:50 (Ref:1780688)   #13
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
The other thing you can do, although this only works in the day and if you're not driving a suicidemobile, is to turn your headlights on for a brief instant. The driver behind seeing red lights at the rear flash on may think it's the brake and brake himself.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 03:35 (Ref:1781277)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the benefit of o/s readers, when Chatters is driving on a learner's permit, he is also displaying L plates, a 150mm yellow square with a big black L!
Old 4 Dec 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1781551)   #15
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Yeah, my buddy in England has his too, although, theirs are a bit nicer, White plates with a red L, lol.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1781827)   #16
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One more year... just one, then i'll be free

No doubt i'll get it too, but there doesn't seem to be alot to do, apart from one day hope they learn their lesson.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1781929)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They will probably learn it by crashing into the back of your car, so best not hope too much, eh?
Old 13 Dec 2006, 14:05 (Ref:1789881)   #18
JohhnyRacer
Rookie

Australia
Campbelltown, 3 hours East of Bathurst.
JohhnyRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now don't get me wrong here. I am in no way advocating sitting in the right lane slowing other cars down, BUT...

In the highways around our area there are a few big problems. They are generally 2 lane. They are generally stupidly designed. They are generally finished just before some huge new housing estate makes them hopelessly inadequate for the amount of traffic they will need to carry. Due to these reasons, they are generally choked with too much traffic.

The problem I have is in the left lane, the traffic seems to travel at about 20 k's below the speed limit. In the right lane, the traffic seems to sit at about 20 k's above the speed limit. If I weave back and forth between lanes and travel at about the speed limit, I am continually blocked by lines of cars travelling nose to tail in the left lane leaving no gap to move into, or if I am in the left lane and coming up on a slow moving vehicle in front, some idiot will invariably come flying up in the right lane then slow down as he passes me effectively blocking my passing opportunity causing me to have to slow down to the aforementioned 20 k's below the speed limit to avoid rear-ending the car in front.

Any solutions to this problem would be much appreciated, preferably solutions within the law as I use my car for my job and would like to keep my license.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1790096)   #19
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Same problem here Johnny- I assume it's the Hume Highway, M5 you're talking about?
Old 13 Dec 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1790129)   #20
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
They will probably learn it by crashing into the back of your car, so best not hope too much, eh?

I just about gave up caring today, 7.30 left for work got onto the main, yet still a country road, it was bucketing down, some toss pot in a 206 comes racing up behind me with full beam and foglights on. (as an aside why do people think when it rains they are allowed to put the fogs on ?)

Because of the rain I was struggling to see the road due to the spray, and his full beam was blinding me, so I put the brakes on and he got passed, then he got a taste of his own medicine as we carried on..
Old 13 Dec 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1790175)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I fear how I will react when I am driving myself.

I suspect it will go along the lines of slamming the brakes on and causing the car behind to crash into me, getting out and dragging the offender out of the car and behind a bush and stamping on his testicles repeatedly.
All very understandable...

Sadly, though you would be the loser in the long run because your insurers would say the accident was your fault, despite the provocation, and I'm not sure the police would be too impressed with the retribution aspect!

If you have the option, another solution is to floor it and leave the guy in your dust. If he's the type who then catches up and sits right on your boot again, then I would reluctantly pull over and let him through. You can always sit there behind him, but at a safe distance, just to show what a small advantage he has gained.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 00:14 (Ref:1790206)   #22
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Sadly, though you would be the loser in the long run because your insurers would say the accident was your fault, despite the provocation, and I'm not sure the police would be too impressed with the retribution aspect!
....unless the first thing you say is 'Bloody dog!' in which case you'll soon have witnesses who saw the non-existant dog and at least one who can tell you who it belongs to!!
Old 14 Dec 2006, 15:45 (Ref:1790684)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Sadly, though you would be the loser in the long run because your insurers would say the accident was your fault,
Not so; even if you did deliberately slam the brakes on, it would still be the fault of the driver behind, because he is supposed to be travelling sufficiently far behind to stop in an emergency without hitting you. In that sense there is no difference to you slamming on the brakes deliberately from that of an emergency stop, since the result is the same. How would he be able to differentiate between the two and justify hitting the car in one circumstance and not in the other? However, I agree that the rest of Knowlesy's suggested action would mean that he had abdicted the moral high ground and would himself then be prosecuted for assault!
Old 14 Dec 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1790711)   #24
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Not so; even if you did deliberately slam the brakes on, it would still be the fault of the driver behind, because he is supposed to be travelling sufficiently far behind to stop in an emergency without hitting you.
Not quite; There was a case a few weeks/months back where a driver was being followed very closely and he slammed his brakes on causing the following car to swerve and it nearly ended up with an accident.
Unbeknowingly to both drivers all this took place while a police car was traveling close by and the police ended up prosecuting slammy brake man for dangerous driving.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 17:03 (Ref:1791564)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yep, i drove into the back of someone who did just that - she stopped dead in the middle of a 40mph dual carriageway for no good reason. a policeman came along while i was having a go at her, and he actually agreed she had no reason for stopping in the first place... he certainly didn't blame me for driving into the back of her.