Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 21 Dec 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1796872)   #1
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Viper Stripes

has anyone else noticed a growing trend of road cars with viper stripes ?

I've just seen this slow looking hyundia or something, with pink furry interior and pink viper stripes ! at least it wasn't a bloke driving it

I keep seeing Fiesta things with viper stripes.
what has everyone else seen ?
Old 21 Dec 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1796915)   #2
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Viper stripes? Is that rally stripes? If so, then yes, I see people putting them on things they should not be on. The stripes makes it faster.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1797052)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think there is a model of the Fiesta that has the "Viper stripes" in it's options range, that's probably what you saw I guess.

A lot of hot hatches seem to have stripes of some kind on them these days, often "Max'd out" cars driven by burberry clad neanderthals.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1797066)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You mean a Fiesta ST, 2.0 150hp. These aren't viper stripes they are GT stripes ala the GT40 model that came with them.

I have a very similar car to the attached, without the stripes, or the 2.0 engine, just a 1.6 Zetec S with the bodykit of the ST.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford-Fiesta-ST-pic-2-7960964.jpg  
Old 21 Dec 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1797090)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Viper stripes or not, they still look naff.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1797106)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They bloody are Viper stripes!

Let's just call them Fiesta stripes and be done.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1797111)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What came first, the GT40 or the Viper ? Henceforth they shall be referred to as GT stripes!
Old 21 Dec 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1797138)   #8
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
no, everyone knows them as Viper stripes :P

i was thinking of getting some for my racecar, but every poxy car seems to have them these days
Old 21 Dec 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1797161)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Viper, Rally, GT40. Pah! I bring you Briggs Cunningham:

www.lynxmotors.co.uk

www.tamsoldracecarsite.net

www.briggscunningham.com

I look forward to someone beating these with earlier cars.

Last edited by Adam43; 21 Dec 2006 at 22:02.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1797170)   #10
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
hmm, ok shall we just call them stripes ?

what other road cars have they been seen on ?
Old 21 Dec 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1797181)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've seen the cars in the first two of my pictures, but not the third.

I've seen them on a couple of Elises. I wasn't keen, I'd have the Gold Leaf if I watnted to acheive that on a Lotus.

I also think they look quite good if they aren't central.

However, it is one of those things that was cool, but is now too common on too common cars!
Old 21 Dec 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1797208)   #12
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
eww, i dont like the common word, maybe i'll get flames instead and be like a real rice racer
Old 21 Dec 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1797210)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, I think it's a period thing.

When people like Jo Bonnier and others were driving Lola T280 DFVs in the early Seventies, they had central stripes. They're quite effective on a wide-bodied car, because they make it look narrower.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 23:21 (Ref:1797216)   #14
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
i still think stripes look good on the right car, the problem now is that they are getting too common
Old 22 Dec 2006, 04:18 (Ref:1797335)   #15
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've seen them on anything from Vettes to Honda Civics. They really need to be the proper size and placement to look correct....and on the proper car. They are prerequisite for a Mustang.

....and we call them rally stripes 'round here. That sounds the best so let's go with that.

Last edited by JHamilton; 22 Dec 2006 at 04:23.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 04:20 (Ref:1797336)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
You mean a Fiesta ST, 2.0 150hp. These aren't viper stripes they are GT stripes ala the GT40 model that came with them.

I have a very similar car to the attached, without the stripes, or the 2.0 engine, just a 1.6 Zetec S with the bodykit of the ST.
That's not a bad looking little car. Is that different than the Euro spec Focus?
Old 22 Dec 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1797506)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
It's a Fiesta so its the size down from the Focus.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1797761)   #18
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funny, I've always called them Cobra stripes....
Old 23 Dec 2006, 00:56 (Ref:1798051)   #19
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always called them GT stripes

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 24 Dec 2006, 22:48 (Ref:1798945)   #20
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always called em stripes!
Old 25 Dec 2006, 01:23 (Ref:1798968)   #21
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
:d :d
Old 26 Dec 2006, 10:56 (Ref:1799331)   #22
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good call Adam, the 3rd photo is a Cunningham C-2R (powered by a Chrysler V8) from 1951 which seems to be regarded as the first use of that configuration of stripes.

Never heard the term "Viper stripes" before reading this thread - must be a UK only term, probably invented by someone with no awareness of cars prior to the Viper GTS coupe (~10 yrs ago?)

To pick up on Adam's idea, I wonder what was the first road car sold with stripes as standard? I would open the bidding with the 1965 Shelby GT350 Mustang
Old 26 Dec 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1799412)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
Never heard the term "Viper stripes" before reading this thread - must be a UK only term, probably invented by someone with no awareness of cars prior to the Viper GTS coupe (~10 yrs ago?)
A touch harsh!

I've always said either Viper or Cobra stripes, purely because it sounds cooler!
Old 26 Dec 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1799423)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've never called them viper stripes though and am from the UK...always GT stripes!

Old 26 Dec 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1799469)   #25
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Ah Suze there are at least some people with sense on here..