Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 26 Dec 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1799520)   #26
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
Never heard the term "Viper stripes" before reading this thread - must be a UK only term, probably invented by someone with no awareness of cars prior to the Viper GTS coupe (~10 yrs ago?)
"Viper Stripes" seems to be the modern term coined by the car modifying scene.

Quote:
To pick up on Adam's idea, I wonder what was the first road car sold with stripes as standard? I would open the bidding with the 1965 Shelby GT350 Mustang
I would have gone for the Cobra, although not sure if they were standard or simply an option.

To follow on from the Viper idea, since that was the car the re-popularised stripes, what was the last (road) car prior to the Vipir to feature them?
Old 27 Dec 2006, 00:12 (Ref:1799637)   #27
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Viper Stripes

Old 27 Dec 2006, 01:38 (Ref:1799674)   #28
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cobras were definitely available in plain colours, think of the original 427SC's you see and most of them seem to be plain red.

I can't give a good answer to the second question for cars sold in the UK or USA, but in Australia the only cars with full length top stripes were the 1968 Holden Monaro GTS327 (HK model), 1969 Holden Monaro GTS350 (HT model), and 1978 Ford Falcon Cobra (limited edition of 400). The Falcon GT's had side stripes and bonnet blackouts while the Chryslers had transverse stripes. More recently the HSV GTO LE (limited edition last of line) had stripes but not full length - on the bonnet and boot only.

HK and HT GTS Monaro (the car pictured on the left sold for $220k at auction recently)

Ford Falcon Cobra & HSV GTO LE
Old 27 Dec 2006, 10:37 (Ref:1799812)   #29
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a lot of vinyl graphics companies/websites call them viper stripes aswell.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1799913)   #30
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
Cobras were definitely available in plain colours, think of the original 427SC's you see and most of them seem to be plain red.
I have seen period examples with stripes, although as I said I don't know if you'd class that as "standard equipment"

Quote:
I can't give a good answer to the second question for cars sold in the UK or USA, but in Australia the only cars with full length top stripes were...
Actually you have answered it, or at least confirmed what I thought. To me "Viper stripes" means two wide stripes across the middle of the car running the full length of the vehicle, not the off-centre narrow stripes on the Monaro. You've reminded me of a few UK cars from the 70s with similar stripes but nothing approaching what you'd class as proper Viper/GT stripes.

For anyone whose not aware of 1950/60s Le Mans racers then the Viper would probably have been their first experience of these stripes so I can understand why the name "Viper stripes" has been adopted.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1799920)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
For anyone whose not aware of 1950/60s Le Mans racers then the Viper would probably have been their first experience of these stripes so I can understand why the name "Viper stripes" has been adopted.
Oh definitely. As you say it is the Viper that made them popular in modern times. People think that they are cool because they make a car (a little) like a Viper. Dodge like them because they make the Viper (a bit) like the old charasmatic Le Mans racers of the 1950/60s!
Old 28 Dec 2006, 07:14 (Ref:1800242)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually I suspect they were originally used as an easy way to identify the US racing teams whose colours (colors) were blue on white.

The term "Viper stripes" is I agree, a modern idea and used to attract the "Burberry clad Neanderthals". See http://www.viperstripes.co.uk/

However striping is not a new craze. The sixties saw many vehicles with "go faster" stripes. The most popular being Minis with checker tape down the sides.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 28 Dec 2006 at 07:18.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1800424)   #33
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've allways called them "Shelby stripes"
Old 29 Dec 2006, 01:40 (Ref:1800876)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We'll just call them stripes shall we, lest we are all lumped into categories.

I see I am in the "Burberry clad neanderthal" sector here, which is mildly upsetting.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 05:32 (Ref:1800921)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I see I am in the "Burberry clad neanderthal" sector here, which is mildly upsetting.
If the cap fits..........................................
Old 29 Dec 2006, 07:55 (Ref:1800964)   #36
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I followed a dark blue car with "Viper Stripes" into Tescos in Wallasey a couple of weeks ago. It even said Viper V10 on the back. It was actually a Mazda RX5 - sad or what!
Old 29 Dec 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1800996)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
We'll just call them stripes shall we, lest we are all lumped into categories.
Lump me into the Cunningham category then please
Quote:
Was this said, just so Peter could make the cap joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
I followed a dark blue car with "Viper Stripes" into Tescos in Wallasey a couple of weeks ago. It even said Viper V10 on the back. It was actually a Mazda RX5 - sad or what!
Not quite stripes, or a RX so a little of topic, but here is a striped MX5 seen kicking around the La Sarthe region of France:
Attached Thumbnails
1991mx5.jpg  
Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1801029)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That's almost approprate because its the colours of the winning Mazda Group C car from (and you'll correct me on this) 1986(?) driven by among others Johnny Herbert. Mazda did market cars in those colours.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:37 (Ref:1801050)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
They won in 1991, which makes it even better!
I don't remember Mazda actually selling cars in this scheme - excellent.

At Le Mans I have also seen an old Volvo Estate made up in Silk Cut livery!

I suppose it is relevant because the stripes are meant to make a car look like a racing car.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1801054)   #40
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't believe a thread about stripes has run to 3 pages!

Last time I saw the Silk Cut Volvo it was parked beside the Chinese during the race, with lots of people standing on a slightly less than straight roof!
Old 29 Dec 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1801139)   #41
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle
Can't believe a thread about stripes has run to 3 pages!
its a technical subject

I dont mind stripes if they are on a race car or a decent road car, they look pants IMO on 1 litre corsa or fiesta though.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1801175)   #42
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
They won in 1991, which makes it even better!
I don't remember Mazda actually selling cars in this scheme - excellent.
As a Le Mans fan I'm surprised you'd not heard of it.
http://www.mx5-mazda.co.uk/24hrLeMans.htm
Only 24 built, 3 of which are believed to have been re-sprayed.

Quote:
At Le Mans I have also seen an old Volvo Estate made up in Silk Cut livery!
You'd be amazed what people will put Silk Cut livery on
Old 29 Dec 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1801198)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
As a Le Mans fan I'm surprised you'd not heard of it.
http://www.mx5-mazda.co.uk/24hrLeMans.htm
Only 24 built, 3 of which are believed to have been re-sprayed.
You would, especially as I was there and my mother has an MX5!
Quote:
You'd be amazed what people will put Silk Cut livery on
True, although I hear the cool people go for Motul nowadays

I did consider stripes a few years ago. I thought about a big arrow off centre. Sort of like this, but the version with only one arrow.

Probably notthose colours too. However I changed my mind before I got round to it.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1801432)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
So, if I've got this right, you wanted arrows, but only one, not two, pointing upwards, not down and on one side but not in the Gulf colours. Hmm, I think I can see the syntax of the underlying metaphor there.

Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Carlos Pace had a down arrow on his race helmet until a "guru" of some kind told him it was bad Kharma or something so he went for the reversed upward pointing arrow. Sadly he was killed later that year.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 29 Dec 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1801491)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Phew, I'm glad I abandoned the arrow plan.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 22:05 (Ref:1801503)   #46
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
head hurts now.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 00:52 (Ref:1801573)   #47
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I Have always called them "go faster" stripes myself. Speaking of vipers i saw two the other day one behind another. One with White stripes and blue body and the other with blue stripes and white body. Sounded like a pair of tractors though

Last edited by beau1; 30 Dec 2006 at 00:55.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1801672)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
That is because they have truck engines! Although wonderfully powerful and torque engines .

I always considered go faster stripes to be down the side of a car. Like this:

and like those wheels go-faster stripes probably don't make it.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1801686)   #49
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That was one of the best Escorts ever made until some chav got hold of it...
Old 30 Dec 2006, 13:25 (Ref:1801751)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

Not sure what your problem is with that garc. It looks more or less like the standard RS Turbo job with slightly lowered suspension and larger wheels. Looks quite good actually.

Adam. Truck engines? Healey 100/6 anybody?