Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 16 Jan 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1816764)   #26
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
I'm surprised Golden Brown hasn't done it over here already. He's taxed everything else!
So he should, we don't want Johnny foreigner using our roads for free.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1816771)   #27
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
to be fair, they're not strict about the 3 month rule for foreign cars here. we had a french car in england for nearly 2 years, and since they have no way of tracking the car it means that it has to rely on good will.

considering our car was old enough to not require road tax in france and only needed an mot every 3 years (and didn't have to be present...!!), thus saving between £100-£130 a year on that alone, it wasn't really logical to put it on english plates.

you know, looking at it from an english point of view and as something we should do here, it's not such a bad idea
Old 16 Jan 2007, 18:06 (Ref:1816778)   #28
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
You'll probably find that if the car is in the country for more than a specific length of time that it has to be re-registered and therefore re-road taxed in the UK.
As far as I know there's no legal requirement for the car to be re-registered. You may have problems with insurance but that's another issue.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 18:13 (Ref:1816785)   #29
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Bella got in whilst I was typing.

I had a feeling you used to have a French registered car but wasn't certain. So over 3 years you've saved roughly 3x £45 MOT and 3x £150 Road Tax, yet here you are winging about having to fork out £40 to go through Belgium. Unreal.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 21:05 (Ref:1816946)   #30
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm not whinging, i'm just saying i might drive round it to avoid paying the cost.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 21:39 (Ref:1816975)   #31
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
So he should, we don't want Johnny foreigner using our roads for free.
Oi, I read that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
i'm not whinging, i'm just saying i might drive round it to avoid paying the cost.
That is almost impossible for the Ring, bella. You'll spend more on (French) toll and extra fuel in making the detour.
Besides, the Germans are thinking of doing the same as the Belgians. Thankfully the German government are about 50% opposed at the moment.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1817040)   #32
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
rats. i know i went via luxembourg to get to hockenheim once, and that detour almost paid for itself in cheap fuel

i think i'm pro-european road tax. each country can have a percentage of that relative to the amount of motorway in the country. individual countries taking yet more money off us? it's cheaper just to fly there and hire a car, and that's not quite environmentally friendly!

Last edited by bella; 16 Jan 2007 at 22:57.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 22:56 (Ref:1817042)   #33
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hot Air Balloon??
Old 16 Jan 2007, 23:00 (Ref:1817046)   #34
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
sod it, overinflate the car tyres and row there
Old 17 Jan 2007, 18:36 (Ref:1817805)   #35
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The Germans are starting to complain as well now. So if we all are lucky the Belgian government may change their minds.

One of the complaints of the Germans is (and this is honestly no fib): they are afraid that the Dutch are going to do all their shopping in Germany instead of Belgium.

Old 17 Jan 2007, 23:55 (Ref:1818042)   #36
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
One of the complaints of the Germans is (and this is honestly no fib): they are afraid that the Dutch are going to do all their shopping in Germany instead of Belgium.

That would be a bad thing for Belgium and a good thing for Germany surely?
Old 18 Jan 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1818443)   #37
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Dunno, is there a bad thing for Belgium?
Old 18 Jan 2007, 17:24 (Ref:1818606)   #38
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Dunno, is there a bad thing for Belgium?
I can think of two "bad things",common sense and someone who knows what the hell is going on in Belgium
Old 18 Jan 2007, 17:26 (Ref:1818609)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
sod it, overinflate the car tyres and row there
Planned a route yet??
Old 18 Jan 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1818647)   #40
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I can think of two "bad things",common sense and someone who knows what the hell is going on in Belgium
Now, now!

Shouldn't that read "someone who thinks he....."
Duh.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 07:47 (Ref:1819101)   #41
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
OK Eddy ,I stand corrected
Old 19 Jan 2007, 18:16 (Ref:1819601)   #42
brandspost4a
Racer

Scotland
Tunbridge Wells, KENT
brandspost4a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes

The Road Tax is supposed to pay for use of the roads, if you are using their roads why shouldn't you pay? I'd have no problem if a similar ruling was introduced here - there's enough foreign registered cars driving around the UK and avoiding any UK road tax.
Just to be pedantic boys and girls, we DO NOT pay road tax in this country any more. We pay Vehicle Excise Duty, i.e just another tax for Gordon to rip us off with.