Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Aug 2003, 18:02 (Ref:678820)   #1
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That overtaking move

whoa what an amazing move by schummy on trulli it was good but do you think that that was what caused his Punchure on lap 64
Old 3 Aug 2003, 18:07 (Ref:678826)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, it caused his puncture. That should have been all grass, gravel, or huge metal spikes, not effing pavement!

Damn you Tilke!!!
Old 3 Aug 2003, 18:10 (Ref:678827)   #3
Sherman
Racer

Sherman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or did it? Ron Dennis thought the tyre just gave up on him. Coulthard did the same thing but got away with it.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 18:13 (Ref:678831)   #4
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not that I would like to let any facts get into the way of more Schumacher bashing, but I have heard that it was the sidewall of the tire that went down, which would suggest something other than that runoff caused it.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 18:16 (Ref:678832)   #5
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would have been a "good move"...if he had performed it 'on the race track'!...it's that bit between the white lines Michael!
Old 3 Aug 2003, 18:48 (Ref:678859)   #6
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My opinion is that no it was not a great move but it was fair Micheal had no choice but to leave the track as Trulli obliged him to do so but moving to the edge of the track. I suspect Micheal would not have driven there out of choice.

Trulli I suspect did not do this deliberatly but was largely due to the handling difficulties he was facing at the time.

On saying that I am tempted to say what goes around comes around after the Alonso incident at Silverstone. Typical Schumi luck that when it happens to him there is a nice piece of grippy tarmac waiting rather that grass.

But as I said I saw nothing wrong with the move
Old 4 Aug 2003, 01:22 (Ref:679158)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was nothing great about it. Trulli was clearly suffering on badly worn and blistering tyres. Trulli was a lamb to the slaughter.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 01:40 (Ref:679165)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Actually once ScxhM passed Trulli, he did appear to move forward quite rapidly away from DC for awhile. Maybe that's what did his tyre. Maybe staying behing Trulli was what was preserving his tyre. After that DC actually gained .6 of a second on SchM just before the tyre went. And the other rear tyre was buggered also from what we saw.
JPM seemed to be the only one not affected by tyre problems. He did say he chose a different compound to Ralf, but again there was nothing to compare with in that direction.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 01:45 (Ref:679169)   #9
corkholio
Veteran

Had Montoya pulled off the same pass on a slower car everyone in here would be wetting their pants on how great of a pass it was and tend to completely ignore the fact that he had a much faster car *cough*Nurburgring*cough*.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 01:59 (Ref:679173)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Trulli's tyres were buggered - didn't you read the post race interview?

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 4 Aug 2003 at 01:59.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 04:13 (Ref:679201)   #11
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all i know is that they got that tire off schumi and then ran it into the garage and out of view of the cameras
Old 4 Aug 2003, 10:27 (Ref:679408)   #12
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli didn't do anything wrong regardless of what state his tyres were in, although I expect RB probably thought it wasn't "very classy"
Given that DC did pretty much the same thing and got away with it, I reckon Schumi's tyres were probably knackered before that. The way the mechanic legged into the garage usually means the tyres failed unexpectedly and the techs want to have a look at it.
Of course it could have been a puncture, and he just got rid of all the sharp items lying around before DC came along!
Old 4 Aug 2003, 10:45 (Ref:679427)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trulli was defending his line sensibly - he had no right to expect the off-track area to be faster. The officials ahve to do somethign about the lack of grass and gravel in off track areas. Its turning F1 into soemthing a bit too poofy for my liking.

If it weren't for the lack of punishment for going off, Michael should've acked out of that move - he was clearly going to get anotehr chance.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 11:03 (Ref:679438)   #14
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Schumacher knew he had to pass Trulli then as with the state his tyres were in he wasn't going to be able to hold Coulthard out for much longer & knew he needed some sort of gap over DC.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 11:09 (Ref:679441)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I did'nt think there was anything wrong with the Trulli-Schumacher pass, but I thought he was a little rough on Coultard. Dc tried twice to get back onto the track and was pushed back. That was dangerous IMO.

Oh well, it was good to see some real fighting.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 11:18 (Ref:679447)   #16
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Trulli was defending his line sensibly - he had no right to expect the off-track area to be faster. The officials ahve to do somethign about the lack of grass and gravel in off track areas. Its turning F1 into soemthing a bit too poofy for my liking.

If it weren't for the lack of punishment for going off, Michael should've acked out of that move - he was clearly going to get anotehr chance.
Spot on Boots! No driver should benefit by a manouver 'off' the designated circuit! End of story, how the puncture was actually caused is irrelevant really.

The politics was just as much fun however, Brawn defending his supplier and Dennis expanding on the failure! Hehehe
Old 4 Aug 2003, 13:20 (Ref:679596)   #17
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing wrong in the move, though I'm surprised he was able to pull it off having gone so wide - pssibly down to Trulli's lack of traction coming out of the corner.

I'm not sure it did cause the puncture - I think Ron Dennis's explanation is just as plausible. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that going that wide always risks the chance of a puncture...
Old 4 Aug 2003, 13:36 (Ref:679611)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
I did'nt think there was anything wrong with the Trulli-Schumacher pass, but I thought he was a little rough on Coultard. Dc tried twice to get back onto the track and was pushed back. That was dangerous IMO.

Oh well, it was good to see some real fighting.
Exactly sire.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 14:10 (Ref:679639)   #19
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty sure the puncture was caused by staying out so long on one set of tyres.

If you look at the tyre that came off it's all squished at one point(like an giant concave flat spot). This would conclude with Dennis theory of the side wall collapsing.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 23:18 (Ref:680025)   #20
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dennis has his own political agenda regarding tires and such, so I don't take what he has to say all that seriously. But who knows...
Old 4 Aug 2003, 23:38 (Ref:680036)   #21
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Yes, it caused his puncture. That should have been all grass, gravel, or huge metal spikes, not effing pavement!

Damn you Tilke!!!
I second this.
But huge metal spikes?
Old 4 Aug 2003, 23:52 (Ref:680046)   #22
Hamann
Rookie

Hamann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Matta's move on Villeneuve was the best, fighting against the car to not let it slide and spin, he really gave it his all. I'm glad Villeneuve didn't try to defend his position any more stronger, because it would have been then end for him and Da Matta.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 00:37 (Ref:680070)   #23
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by high contrast
Spot on Boots! No driver should benefit by a manouver 'off' the designated circuit! End of story, how the puncture was actually caused is irrelevant really.

The politics was just as much fun however, Brawn defending his supplier and Dennis expanding on the failure! Hehehe
I agree. MS was off the track (all four wheels) and should have given way to allow Trulli back around. It is typical "look the other way if the car is red" cow pies.

Mike
Old 5 Aug 2003, 00:39 (Ref:680071)   #24
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by mp356a
I agree. MS was off the track (all four wheels) and should have given way to allow Trulli back around. It is typical "look the other way if the car is red" cow pies.

Mike
Or when the car is silver, twice?
Old 5 Aug 2003, 00:46 (Ref:680074)   #25
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Trolly committed to the inside of the hairpin to block, but then decided to swing all the way to the outside exiting, both times while there was a car alongside him and leaving those driver with no room (and tried to force DC off the track moments later). He changed his line in the middle of the corner, had he done the same thing at the Nordkurve there would have been a big crash.

Quote:
Or DC would have gotten close enough to make a move.