Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 May 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2463117)   #26
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortad View Post
right... racing against... nobody... (except the privateers) thats like winning by default of the opposition...
Tell that to Mr. Peugeot on the last two years, or to Cadillac and Chrysler at the beginning of the millenium
Old 15 May 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2463124)   #27
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Abobeleira View Post
Tell that to Mr. Peugeot on the last two years, or to Cadillac and Chrysler at the beginning of the millenium

and even if so, thats not Audis fault ...
Old 15 May 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2463142)   #28
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry about misquoting Richards, yes, he was calling for the Petrols to have a break.
Old 15 May 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2463173)   #29
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I keep reading about the performance difference being due to Factory vs Privateers. I can only think of one race so far where the diesels have faced a full on factory effort, and yeah it was a maiden race for the P1 Acura, but there is no way after watching Sebring that anyone could expect the full on factory effort of Acura to match the diesels.

Put them on a tight high downforce circuit like LimeRock or LongBeach, then you might see some parity. But on the bigger circuits the Pugs and Audis will just zoom away. (I wonder if three Acura drivers would be enough at Le Mans with those high lateral G forces they produce)

I haven't seen any footage of the Spa race yet. I only have what I have read about it. After every yellow it seems the Pugs pulled easily away and then just maintained the gap. I'll dig around for more race reports, but I don't recall reading of even a minor scrap for a lap or two....end of yellow, off go the Pugs. The Pescas may have matched the pace of the Pugs during the race, but it would be more accurate if we stated the Pugs(once safely away from the pack) matched the pace of the Pescarolo Judds.

If the Oreca Aims and Zyteks and Pescas and AMRs are still in the TV shots at Le Mans after two laps, I will be very very surprised. I suspect the 6 factory diesels will use the two privateer diesel teams to separate the petrol cars and try to lap them during the opening portions of the race. Once the petrols are dispatched, the two titans will begin slugging it out amoung themselves.
Old 15 May 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2463178)   #30
AX lover
Racer

Netherlands
AX lover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be very interested to see what the Acura can do against a Pescarolo, Oreca or Lola-Aston Martin. Because I have the feeling the Acura will be nowhere and the European privateers will be much quicker. But I guess that this will never happen. Or maybe Aston Martin will do some after Le Mans races in the ALMS?
Old 15 May 2009, 23:15 (Ref:2463183)   #31
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I've allways said it,grant the petrol cars a 5,5L V12 Twinturbo with these restrictors and al current diesels would be blown of the face of the earth... Never mind the fuel economy.
Old 16 May 2009, 01:35 (Ref:2463210)   #32
Matra-simca
Rookie

United States
Durham, NC
Matra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Politics aside, no amount of aerodynamic tweeking is gonna get those Aston Martins down the Mulsanne Straight any faster, that's just a plain fact. Simply put, there's a total of five places where cars reach 200 MPH per lap. The objective is to get there quickly, and stay as long as possible. With their superior grunt, diesels achieve it with spades. Henri Pescarolo knows that, and as a member of the dark side now, he's noticably absent from the debate - and far happier.

If aerodynamics ruled the roost, then the "factory" Acuras should have run circles around the oil burner brigade at Sebring; instead, they got their butt handed to them, on a track which certainly favored their characterics. Clearly, the previous chassis in P2 wasn't at fault. Had they simply twin-turbocharged their existing V-8 for P1 - where Honda Racing's real expertise lies - installed into a modified P2 chassis, then we could have drawn a better comparison relative to the factory diesel/petrol discussion. As it stands now, Prodive is as good a "factory" team as we're going to get; they remind me of TWR - minus the big bucks. And tactically, they're better than Peugeot. It would be nice though to do with a little less posturing from certain quarters, especially at this late date. And they really do need top-flight pilots in all the seats to make a solid case. Letting David Brabham go is trying to win on the cheap. Not good.

Todd
Old 16 May 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2463301)   #33
Tom87
Racer

England
Tom87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra-simca View Post
Letting David Brabham go is trying to win on the cheap. Not good.

Todd

I supported Aston throughout the DBR9 years, but frankly that sentence sums up the whole LMP1 effort, it's a recycled chassis with suspect aerodynamic updates and a road derived engine against state of the art purpose built cars from established teams with big budgets.

Tackling this issue from another angle: Does anyone have the corner times & trap speeds from last years Le Mans test day/qually/race? I'm curious to compare them to this year. I wonder given the adverse publicity of the 'diesel dominination' whether in recent years Audi and Peugeot in particular have chosen to use their extra power to overcome extra drag rather than increase top speed?

Edit: Thinking back to Sebring this certainly seemed to be the case with the R15 as the Peugeot enjoyed a straight line advantage yet lap times were comparable.
Old 16 May 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2463393)   #34
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom87 View Post
Tackling this issue from another angle: Does anyone have the corner times & trap speeds from last years Le Mans test day/qually/race?
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...orners-speeds/
Old 18 May 2009, 14:42 (Ref:2464584)   #35
rustycrankshaft
Rookie

New Zealand
Dow' nunder
rustycrankshaft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think about it, Aston Martin are in LMP1 this year mainly for the 24hrs. This is their number 1 aim as it is their anniversary year. All races so far have been testing grounds for this big event. Of course Richards is going to lobby the ACO if he thinks it could gain them an advantage, as mentioned previously it takes years of development to reach the level of the factory diesels, and although I would love to see Aston return in LMP1 in 2010 and beyond, I doubt this will happen. A meeting with the ACO could effectively 'leap frog' them up to the Audi, Pug level with almost no cost to the team, so are you really surprised they are trying it? Its part of the sport. I'm personally glad they are trying as it proves they are serious about taking the fight to the diesels at LM. Its a huge risk for Aston, they are the underdogs for sure despite their racing heritage. I say well done for even having the balls to undertake such a venture.

I still believe we have not seen the true potential of EITHER the peugeot or the AMR/Oreca cars. We will have to wait until next month to see that and I think (well hope really!) there will be a surprise.
Old 18 May 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2464728)   #36
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A good point against Diesels. Last year RLM spoke to a Corvette driver (can't remember who) and he mentioned that Oliver Gavin had some breathing problems (and headaches) for a while after getting out of the car because he was stuck behind an LMP Diesel either in the Yellows or somewhere around the track during his stint.
Anyone who drives in Europe, at least, will understand this as the Diesel fumes are especially toxic. It's not just the environment, it's their health!

Who's ever seen those tractor pulls in the Netherlands a few years back and other places? Those diesel powered tractors let out a ton of black smoke it made me sick!

They should stop giving cars like Corsa Motorsports so much trouble to homologate since they're promoting alternative energy sources because even gasoline isn't exactly healthy!
Old 18 May 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2464760)   #37
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
Anyone who drives in Europe, at least, will understand this as the Diesel fumes are especially toxic. It's not just the environment, it's their health!
What? Am I misunderstanding you or are you saying I should notice a difference in air quality if I'm following a Diesel car on the road?
Old 18 May 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2464780)   #38
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
What? Am I misunderstanding you or are you saying I should notice a difference in air quality if I'm following a Diesel car on the road?
Diesel has a very distinct stench to it that really gets to me. Only old run down cars with bad exhausts equal that. It's especially noticeable when the guy in front of you accelerates hard when the light goes green.
I wouldn't be able to say the air quality is different if it isn't only about feeling naucious.
Old 18 May 2009, 21:35 (Ref:2464829)   #39
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Diesel has a very distinct stench to it that really gets to me. Only old run down cars with bad exhausts equal that. It's especially noticeable when the guy in front of you accelerates hard when the light goes green.
I wouldn't be able to say the air quality is different if it isn't only about feeling naucious.
I haven't heard of collapsing marshalls at Le Mans yet...
Old 18 May 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2464834)   #40
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or of collapsing drivers in a traffic jam...
Old 18 May 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2464839)   #41
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Or of collapsing drivers in a traffic jam...
Or of collapsing Ollie Gavins.

Did Corvette not consider it to be the fact he was driving a front-engined V8 monster at a speed where the air con doesn't work properly?
Old 19 May 2009, 06:51 (Ref:2464932)   #42
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Diesel will emit carbon-black in any case because of combustion features. And carbon-black is one of the main cancerogens. And this problem is not finally solved yet even on premium engines. They should invent a new principle of power transformation. Of course,not electricity - in this case you only relocate the emissions from car to the plant.
I'm sure racing should help deliver some ideas. It only needs fair technical regulations.
Old 19 May 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2464952)   #43
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A good point against Diesels. Last year RLM spoke to a Corvette driver (can't remember who) and he mentioned that Oliver Gavin had some breathing problems (and headaches) for a while after getting out of the car because he was stuck behind an LMP Diesel either in the Yellows or somewhere around the track during his stint.

Who's ever seen those tractor pulls in the Netherlands a few years back and other places? Those diesel powered tractors let out a ton of black smoke it made me sick!

They should stop giving cars like Corsa Motorsports so much trouble to homologate since they're promoting alternative energy sources because even gasoline isn't exactly healthy!

First of all, the fumes inside a Corvette with an engine just in front of you and going slow not allowing air flow through the car as normal, would cause this and would not matter which car was in front.

Also, the fumes/emmissions are not "especially toxic" and cleaner now due to clean burn systems and better fuel quality, remember if you go and breathe in petrol/gas fumes it makes you kinda sick. There is no black smoke due whilst running due to partical filters. The tractor diesel is different to car diesel and the grade of diesel that North America has only recently been mandated to come up to European standards, hence the reason car manufacturers (Audi, BMW, Mercedes) are now importing cars in 2009.

Sorry, disagree on all points and has little to do with the thread.
Old 19 May 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2464978)   #44
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The diesel advantage will be a thing of the past (quicker than you can say ACO) if there is even a hint of the Dancing Donkeys coming into sports car racing with a LMP1.
Old 19 May 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2464988)   #45
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
The diesel advantage will be a thing of the past (quicker than you can say ACO) if there is even a hint of the Dancing Donkeys coming into sports car racing with a LMP1.
Amen, you cheered up my moring Spyderman, thank you.
Old 19 May 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2465023)   #46
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 20 May 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2465566)   #47
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FĂ©lix View Post

Then there's the reason for threatening to quit: they were told by the ACO that they would have a fighting chance in P1 before they committed. The board wanted to stick to GT but Richard got his way... but now they're "flying guests from all around the globe to witness their cars fighting for 7th place at LM" (his words).

Aston to fight for 7th at Le Mans ???? Richards forgot the R10 Kolles and the Pesca 908...
Old 20 May 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2465825)   #48
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12 View Post
Aston to fight for 7th at Le Mans ???? Richards forgot the R10 Kolles and the Pesca 908...
The Kolles R10's wont get anywhere near the chequered flag.
Old 20 May 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2465884)   #49
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
The Kolles R10's wont get anywhere near the chequered flag.
What makes you say that? There's no reason why atleats one of them won't, they're reliable cars.
Old 21 May 2009, 03:18 (Ref:2466142)   #50
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
What makes you say that? There's no reason why atleats one of them won't, they're reliable cars.
Not watched the LMS so far this season? there driver squad make Enge look reliable.