Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Oct 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3318425)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2014 DTM speculation, rumours and news

2014 DTM calendar:

4 May - Hockenheimring
18 May - Oschersleben
1 June - Hungaroring
29 June - Norisring
13 July - Moscow
3 August - Red Bull Ring
10 August - Nürburgring
14 September - Lausitzring
28 September - China TBA
19 October - Hockenheimring

Zandvoort and Brands Hatch are out, Hungaroring and China are in.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3318570)   #2
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Interesting...

Here's an interesting bit from the article on RACER:

Quote:
While the six German venues on the schedule remain unchanged, the DTM has revamped its international dates. Moscow Raceway and Austria's Spielberg keep their races, but Brands and Zandvoort miss out as the series heads to the Hungaroring for the first time since 1988 and returns to China as expected.

It has not yet been decided whether the Shanghai or Guangdong circuit will be used for the Chinese event on Sept. 28 next year.
I wonder... by "Shanghai" do they mean the F1 circuit in Jiading or the street circuit in Pudong where they ran a few years ago. I don't care for either, really, but if they do choose Shanghai Intl., I hope they run the full layout, not just the cut version like they did with V8 Supercars.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3318577)   #3
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they were talking some time ago about a return to Shanghai and it would be another street circuit
Old 16 Oct 2013, 22:44 (Ref:3318663)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Zandvoort for Hungaroring and Guangdong... Why not Slovakiaring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
if they do choose Shanghai Intl., I hope they run the full layout, not just the cut version like they did with V8 Supercars.
I doubt so. I'm sure tthey will try to let cars pass as many times through the main grandstands.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3318669)   #5
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im sure they wont race at Shanghai Intl. it would be very bad for dtm to race infront of grandstands that are 85% empty.

a street circuit or a smaller circuit like guangdong is better because they can say the race is soldout which shows how popular dtm is.
Old 17 Oct 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3318886)   #6
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What they really need to introduce is less pitstops and longer races. A 500km race or two would be a massive step forward.
Old 17 Oct 2013, 15:28 (Ref:3318993)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
At the Nordschleife!
Old 18 Oct 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3319508)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
At the Nordschleife!
With SuperGT having same rules from next year they could invite them and have a 500 km or even 1000 km race at the Nordschleife.

In return DTM could join SuperGT at the 1000 km of Suzuka.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3319816)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
With SuperGT having same rules from next year they could invite them and have a 500 km or even 1000 km race at the Nordschleife.

In return DTM could join SuperGT at the 1000 km of Suzuka.

Or do it as a non-championship race, together with Blancpain Endurance Series.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 16:39 (Ref:3319507)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I am surprised they do not have an (non championship) endurance race with invited drivers like in V8 Supercars.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 11:48 (Ref:3319774)   #11
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I am surprised they do not have an (non championship) endurance race with invited drivers like in V8 Supercars.
Is a great idea, much better than the Munich Stadium race.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3319525)   #12
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does seem like the DTM could use a little more creativity with their races, the German rounds in particular (bar the ever enjoyable Norisring race) do get a little dull - some long endurance races might well liven it up.

However, given the rigidity of the DTM's television's broadcast terms I can't see them doing it any more than F1 or MotoGP doing the same.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3319780)   #13
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRTC View Post
However, given the rigidity of the DTM's television's broadcast terms I can't see them doing it any more than F1 or MotoGP doing the same.
The DTM televisions broadcast terms are rigid are they Tim? (I didn't know that.)

What are you talking about? Sorry but you lost me there.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3319787)   #14
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
The DTM televisions broadcast terms are rigid are they Tim? (I didn't know that.)

What are you talking about? Sorry but you lost me there.
DTM runs on public TV, but only gets a 90 minutes timeslot. 20 minutes are for pre-/post-race coverage, the rest is for racing. If the race is red-flagged, the time keeps running, leading a shorter race (See Adria 2010).

"Das Erste" also meddles quite a bit into the race format. They're supposedly responsible for the current race format, including the mandatory pitstops. This was probably a move to get closer to F1.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 10:27 (Ref:3320486)   #15
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
DTM runs on public TV, but only gets a 90 minutes timeslot. 20 minutes are for pre-/post-race coverage, the rest is for racing. If the race is red-flagged, the time keeps running, leading a shorter race (See Adria 2010).

"Das Erste" also meddles quite a bit into the race format. They're supposedly responsible for the current race format, including the mandatory pitstops. This was probably a move to get closer to F1.
It is noticeable they copy everything F1 does, seemingly F1-lite. But why? They're tin tops, get rid of the flaps and mini wings, reduce downforce....I think the DTM could be fantastic, but blindly follows F1......

One tyre supplier, 2 mandatory pit stops - all too contrived and generic.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 09:28 (Ref:3320915)   #16
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
It is noticeable they copy everything F1 does, seemingly F1-lite. But why? They're tin tops, get rid of the flaps and mini wings, reduce downforce....I think the DTM could be fantastic, but blindly follows F1......
Not really, they are open-wheelers with a body kit, much closer in style to F1 or F3 than to any tin-top series.

Look for instance at how many German F3 drivers have gone up into DTM.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 10:52 (Ref:3319766)   #17
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has it been decided yet whether Mercedes will increase back to 8 drivers yet?
Also, does anyone have a list of the drivers that will be in DTM 2014? (if anyone is confirmed yet)
Old 20 Oct 2013, 23:58 (Ref:3320749)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I don't remember if it was Ekström or Priaulx who said it: V8 Supercars are much better for close racing. (And they are very fast too.)
Old 23 Oct 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3322234)   #19
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really can't understand how I could watch this for such a long time. I've read about first impressions about new DTM video game and I'm sure it's the best symbol for the series. It's a total arcade. No chance of any intrigue, no chance of any strong team making own decisions. Total control by big bosses and really mega frustrating drop into pop-area making it a 102% TV show. Nobody needs DTM outside of Germany, and I can not understand why German fans are still support it. Maybe it's just a tradition. For sure, if there's no DTM at all almost nobody will be able to sense it. For me a Moscow DTM round is just a good opportunity to talk to drivers about them racing in some different championships. There's nothing to talk about DTM, as the cars are the same - so, no reason in any testing of any new components. There's nothing to talk about drivers in DTM, as the drivers are the same for all the year and all the questions are could be asked at the very first round. It's a great shame, what they've done with a very interesting series.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3323592)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
I really can't understand how I could watch this for such a long time. I've read about first impressions about new DTM video game and I'm sure it's the best symbol for the series. It's a total arcade. No chance of any intrigue, no chance of any strong team making own decisions. Total control by big bosses and really mega frustrating drop into pop-area making it a 102% TV show. Nobody needs DTM outside of Germany, and I can not understand why German fans are still support it. Maybe it's just a tradition. For sure, if there's no DTM at all almost nobody will be able to sense it. For me a Moscow DTM round is just a good opportunity to talk to drivers about them racing in some different championships. There's nothing to talk about DTM, as the cars are the same - so, no reason in any testing of any new components. There's nothing to talk about drivers in DTM, as the drivers are the same for all the year and all the questions are could be asked at the very first round. It's a great shame, what they've done with a very interesting series.

I thought you were a big DTM fan.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 17:44 (Ref:3324338)   #21
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I thought you were a big DTM fan.
Yes, I'm still a DTM (and DRM) fan. But that nonsense with technical regulations makes this series really boring and useless from my point of view. I really like technical progress and open regulations, so new DTM is a tiny shadow of the past. I know, lots of people hated Audi R12, but for me it was a really masterpiece of design with its air-through idea.
Maybe, team (or I would say, makes) orders is nothing new for DTM as it was very popular since 1988. So, we can call it a tradition. Without that tradition DTM could be a way better than F1, even using a spec chassis. Or better saying, thanks to using a spec chassis. I mean, drivers are really strong here. And they have almost identical cars today. If there's no team orders, we'll get a real European Drivers championship.
But we have spec cars and team orders, so there's no real DTM for me. If we hadn't one of that items, it would still be DTM. If we had neither of that items, it would be DRM.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 19:12 (Ref:3324371)   #22
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the DTM team orders. All the drivers working together as a team and building strategies to block other manufacturers leaders.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 08:15 (Ref:3324611)   #23
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
Yes, I'm still a DTM (and DRM) fan. But that nonsense with technical regulations makes this series really boring and useless from my point of view. I really like technical progress and open regulations, so new DTM is a tiny shadow of the past. I know, lots of people hated Audi R12, but for me it was a really masterpiece of design with its air-through idea.
But what use do spectacular cars have, when they produce boring racing? The years until 2012 were pretty much snoozefests and I can't really say that I missed them. While I also don't like the single-spec nature of today's DTM cars, they do produce better racing. After all, DTM shouldn't produce racing only nerds like, but rather racing that appeals to common race fans.
Old 8 Nov 2013, 16:36 (Ref:3328983)   #24
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mercedes testing some young guns:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111202
Old 8 Nov 2013, 18:28 (Ref:3329040)   #25
AxelF
Racer

AxelF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Again stupid move in testing Calado and the racer, i can't write his name correctly.

Nothing against their talent - bu no one knows them outside of the extreme motorsport fan group!

They need guys like Kubica, Wurz, Heidfeld or something like this.
Even if they fail to win, it will be much more Buzz around them!