Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Feb 2011, 05:10 (Ref:2835013)   #26
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mountainstar, I do think in the beginning running both will weaken both, but the current cars just can't keep going in the state they are in. It's already hard enough to attract sponsors to motorsport, but trying to pitch cars to them that are as old as the NZV8s are is so tough.

On top of the "look" of the series is that the parity can't seem to be sorted with the current cars, a fresh platform hopefully sorts that.

A little bit of forward thinking has to lead you to thinking the SuperTourers is the right option of the two, think 5 - 10 years down the road, the SuperTourer would still be viable and current, where as the current NZV8's would be terribly out of date
Old 22 Feb 2011, 05:42 (Ref:2835022)   #27
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If all the big names from the NZV8s buy a Supertourer im pretty sure the fans will move with them..

If the Supertourers are promoted properly, no one will know what the 'summer series' is anymore.. advertising is little to none as it is. I see the drivers and teams doing their bit, but other than that..
Old 22 Feb 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2835062)   #28
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR93 View Post
If all the big names from the NZV8s buy a Supertourer im pretty sure the fans will move with them..

If the Supertourers are promoted properly, no one will know what the 'summer series' is anymore.. advertising is little to none as it is. I see the drivers and teams doing their bit, but other than that..

Hi Kenny,
I dont want to sound trite, but all will be revealed over the coming weeks.

Your comments are valid, and I am confident that when we role out the details of the Series and the Teams and drivers who have already signed on, you will give us the proverbial thumbs up.

Its not just about grouse cars, its all about "stars in grouse cars"

Some months ago I made a promise to give this thread, a heads up on our new COT including photo's, and the regular watch's of this thread saw our press release and photo's before any other media, save TV3 in New Zealand.

I will continue to do the same, as we role out the detail moving forward.

Mark Petch.
CEO V8 SUPERTOURERS LTD.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2835253)   #29
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
mountainstar, I do think in the beginning running both will weaken both, but the current cars just can't keep going in the state they are in. It's already hard enough to attract sponsors to motorsport, but trying to pitch cars to them that are as old as the NZV8s are is so tough.

On top of the "look" of the series is that the parity can't seem to be sorted with the current cars, a fresh platform hopefully sorts that.

A little bit of forward thinking has to lead you to thinking the SuperTourers is the right option of the two, think 5 - 10 years down the road, the SuperTourer would still be viable and current, where as the current NZV8's would be terribly out of date
Oh I definitely think V8 'supertourers' is the way to go for the future, I just don't understand why it's not taking over the shell of NZV8's. All along previously I thought that was going to be the case. The new chassis would come into effect and the old cars could run in a second level series. If NZV8's continues in it's current form for a few years, I think this new series is going to have a hard time getting off the ground. Especially with the economy and other issues.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2835296)   #30
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Oh I definitely think V8 'supertourers' is the way to go for the future, I just don't understand why it's not taking over the shell of NZV8's. All along previously I thought that was going to be the case. The new chassis would come into effect and the old cars could run in a second level series. If NZV8's continues in it's current form for a few years, I think this new series is going to have a hard time getting off the ground. Especially with the economy and other issues.
People have a choice in life, we wish the situation was not as it is, but it is what it is.

We have made a choice, and offered the same choice to all the current NZV8 teams at no cost other than the cost of the new car,

We believe the traditional Summer Series is unsustainable in this economic climate, will it ever be the same again?

We dont think so.

Mark Petch.
Old 23 Feb 2011, 02:12 (Ref:2835431)   #31
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
People have a choice in life, we wish the situation was not as it is, but it is what it is.

We have made a choice, and offered the same choice to all the current NZV8 teams at no cost other than the cost of the new car,

We believe the traditional Summer Series is unsustainable in this economic climate, will it ever be the same again?

We dont think so.

Mark Petch.
I guess I don't understand the politics in the background or what the issues are, but I reckon staying within the current series would be better. I don't understand where the split occurred.

Time will tell what happens and who votes with their feet.
Old 23 Feb 2011, 02:44 (Ref:2835437)   #32
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know it's very early to ask this question but will there be any chance of the series getting aired on FTA TV in Australia. i always wanted the NZV8's to be broadcast out here but this series looks like a cracker & could have some good stars in it, possibly even some of the Supercar guys if there is no clash. saying that it would be awesome to have it aired out here.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 04:50 (Ref:2836558)   #33
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars look good and so do the regs for the cars, cheaper components, cheaper to run, sounds great.

What is the expected new price for a complete car... Mark?

It could be a good option for aussie Formula Ford drivers to spend a year in NZ before jumping into a Fujitsu car. Any teams talking about drives that will be available?
Old 25 Feb 2011, 05:09 (Ref:2836560)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
What is the expected new price for a complete car... Mark?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The Speedcafe Story above suggests NZ$185,000 plus NZ$13,500 for the engine package...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Feb 2011, 05:41 (Ref:2836564)   #35
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The Speedcafe Story above suggests NZ$185,000 plus NZ$13,500 for the engine package...
That certainly makes our COTF look expensive!!! At that price we should run them as our second string category.... but if we did that the big boys would nowhere to flog off their old junk.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 06:59 (Ref:2836574)   #36
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
I thought 185,000 figure was for a rolling race ready car?
Old 25 Feb 2011, 07:33 (Ref:2836583)   #37
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR93 View Post
I thought 185,000 figure was for a rolling race ready car?

I can confirm that the price of a complete race car, in "flat pack" form, ie. that requires only to be 'screwed together, and painted is NZ$185,000 plus GST, this equates to about A$140,000.

Mark Petch.
CEO. V8 SUPERTOURERS LIMITED.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2836601)   #38
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
Quite frankly i think thats awesome..

And it makes me wonder what the hell the aussies are doing..
Old 25 Feb 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2836645)   #39
coney
Rookie

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
coney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should invite the NZ supertourers out for the 12 hour at Bathurst Next year
Old 25 Feb 2011, 13:44 (Ref:2836740)   #40
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coney View Post
Should invite the NZ supertourers out for the 12 hour at Bathurst Next year
Why? Chuck them in with the V8Supercars instead, imagine a field of 55 V8Supercar/Tourers! And most people wouldn't be able to tell them apart
Old 26 Feb 2011, 02:48 (Ref:2837035)   #41
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the current top drivers, teams and sponsers in NZV8s move across to the new Supertourers I can see the existing MZNZ/TMC Tier1 series dying. I would doubt that many teams would run in both Supertourers and NZV8s.
MSNZ members will be left to pick up the tab (again) on a failed Tier 1 venture and the MSNZ Executive and TMC hangers-on will have their list of excuses that of course will never include them being at fault or inept.
Old 26 Feb 2011, 04:03 (Ref:2837052)   #42
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately I can see the same thing happening Roger, and it's been great fun following the Summer Series around over the past few years.

Hopefully this new class leads to bigger and better things for NZ Motorsport, but also can provide a proving ground for our future stars in the support classes so we can see that talent work their way up.

Not only would it be great to see the current NZV8 teams move across, but perhaps this new series will be seen as a valuable series to be part of by the likes of Triple X and International Motorsport, two of NZ's most well prepared and best run Motorsport organisations.:

Old 26 Feb 2011, 06:48 (Ref:2837069)   #43
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The circuit owning/operating car clubs are half of TMC, don't think that they will be in a hurry to cut their own throats. I suspect that you will see an organised smooth transition into the new class. Maybe some of the current cars could find their way into OSCA, it would certainly enhance that class again
Old 26 Feb 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2837107)   #44
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
The circuit owning/operating car clubs are half of TMC, don't think that they will be in a hurry to cut their own throats.
I don't think it is as straightforward as that - I understand that quiet recently TMC/MSNZ have inadvertently lost their hold over the NZV8s. NZV8s Limited is no longer majority owned by TMC. All the TMC directors have resigned and the company is now 100% owned by VEEGA.
Old 26 Feb 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2837111)   #45
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
NZ Herald Article...

John McIntyre seems supportive of the plan...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Feb 2011, 03:03 (Ref:2837754)   #46
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
I don't think it is as straightforward as that - I understand that quiet recently TMC/MSNZ have inadvertently lost their hold over the NZV8s. NZV8s Limited is no longer majority owned by TMC. All the TMC directors have resigned and the company is now 100% owned by VEEGA.
Roger, you are correct NZV8's Ltd is today 100% owned by VEEGA.

However the majority of the VEEGA teams/shareholders voted to enter into a contractual agreement with TMC, A/because they wanted certainty, and B/ because the word Championship means a lot to some folk.

TMC owns the promotional rights to all MSNZ motor racing championships.

60% of TMC is own by MSNZ, so its a very close relationship between the two entities, the circuit owning clubs own the rest of the shares.

So really its game set, and match, the majority rules again, which is why the current NZV8 category must run under TMC.

The V8 Supertourers Series however, is a non MSNZ sanctioned, and as such controls its own destiny. The series also run in one calendar year, with a winter break, so theoretically speaking there is room for both Series.

The public in the end will be the final arbitrator of who offers the best bang for buck.

Mark Petch,
CEO, V8 SUPERTOURERS LIMITED.

Last edited by Mark Petch; 28 Feb 2011 at 03:06. Reason: mistake
Old 28 Feb 2011, 13:44 (Ref:2837949)   #47
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How does insurance work for marshals and officials if you're running outside MSNZ? (I'm assuming that, like the MSA here, MSNZ provides cover). Can they be assured of being adequately protected?
Old 28 Feb 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2838048)   #48
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
How does insurance work for marshals and officials if you're running outside MSNZ? (I'm assuming that, like the MSA here, MSNZ provides cover). Can they be assured of being adequately protected?
I would assume that the entity running the non-MSNZ series would take out comprehensive insurance cover. Our club run a number events under MSNZ but we have been advised by our insurance broker that if we ran an event outside of MSNZ, cover would be readily available and reasonably affordable. From memory an cover extension covering injury or death of officials (plus other things) was a premium of about NZ$330.
I would think the Supertourer guys have worked out that despite what MSNZ infer, MSNZ (and FIA) doesn't hold a monopoly over motorsport in New Zealand.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2838079)   #49
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am interested to know two things, which circuits are they going to run at and on what dates.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2838195)   #50
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
I would assume that the entity running the non-MSNZ series would take out comprehensive insurance cover. Our club run a number events under MSNZ but we have been advised by our insurance broker that if we ran an event outside of MSNZ, cover would be readily available and reasonably affordable. From memory an cover extension covering injury or death of officials (plus other things) was a premium of about NZ$330.
I would think the Supertourer guys have worked out that despite what MSNZ infer, MSNZ (and FIA) doesn't hold a monopoly over motorsport in New Zealand.
Well this is just what NZ motorsport needs right now(NOT).
the cars look great and is needed for the future but surely it needs to be done with the all factions working together.we have small f/ford.gt3 porsche and production/mini fields this year trying to support nz V8, with utes and suzuki numbers only acceptable.
I remember the Abbott inspired TV winter series for fords and tranzam lites many years ago.ZERO crowds and TV only which eventually died as drivers realised they couldnt just put TV coverage to sponsors and guarantee backing.(i ran a number of cars back then).
Crowds this year at Tier 1 have been very average to say the least and i dont believe the quality of racing is to blame,and now we can dilute the scene even more by splitting the NZV8 ranks--i dont think 13 or 14 of the current cars is going to cut it next season.Porsche looks like its all over for the time being and formula ford is hanging by its finger tips.
having seen a lot of tier 2 and below events this season its not all rosy there either numbers wise!!.
So maybe we can look forward to 12 or 13 oversize club meetings covering a 12 month period.
From all accounts there seems to have been a major convergence of EGO's with the whole new car project which isnt resolved and probably wont be.
Closed Thread