Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Apr 2014, 17:57 (Ref:3395149)   #426
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Poor Rosberg the victim, being bullied by famously dirty racer Lewis Hamilton.

This may sound very harsh but as Wnut says if he wants to be a serious threat to Lewis in the WDC standings he really has to grow a pair, become more selfish/less of a team player, not give an inch and ultimately be prepared to make contact... then Lewis wouldn't dare to try to bully him again.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 18:01 (Ref:3395152)   #427
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I do find it amusing that so many people seem to have written Rosberg off already. It's advantage Hamilton at this early stage but I think this is a battle of equals that will continue until the team are forced to back one of them. Hopefully they will leave that until one or the other has a clear lead.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 18:10 (Ref:3395157)   #428
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Of course we forget Rosberg on Hamilton, Bahrain 2012 (ish). Two very equal drivers IMO.
I had forgotten about that. Much worse than anything a couple of weeks back. Schuey would have been proud of that one!
Old 19 Apr 2014, 23:48 (Ref:3395300)   #429
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could we see a repeat of 2007?

Lewis and Nico stealing points off each other, only to have third placed driver take the championship. Would be a shame if it did happen, specially with the double points for the last round.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 19:39 (Ref:3395937)   #430
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Could we see a repeat of 2007?

Lewis and Nico stealing points off each other, only to have third placed driver take the championship. Would be a shame if it did happen, specially with the double points for the last round.

If that possibility was looking likely towards the last quarter of the season I think Mercedes would soon change their tune and we'd quickly see team orders put in place.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3395944)   #431
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Either Nico is in a mini slump or Hamilton has found his groove. I think it is more of a mini slump with the driver and the car. It's only 3 wins to 1. Will Mercedes even lose a race this year?
Old 20 Apr 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3395954)   #432
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Either Nico is in a mini slump or Hamilton has found his groove. I think it is more of a mini slump with the driver and the car. It's only 3 wins to 1. Will Mercedes even lose a race this year?
Mini slump!
Nico gets pole at Bahrain and has a difficult qualifying at Shanghai but still recovers from some wheel banging and a loss of three places at the start to recover to finish second, and he's in a slump!

Ah well, just the normal pattern of the internet where your whole destiny is telescoped into 24 hours and people predict your demise...

Nico will be fine. Its only racing, and I'll wait until the first 9 races are over before I start think negatively.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 22:39 (Ref:3395996)   #433
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nico must be reasonably happy if this is a mini slump, given he's still ahead of Hamilton on points...
Old 20 Apr 2014, 23:46 (Ref:3396016)   #434
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do think Hamilton is a great talent but think if Rosberg can stay with him he can get the better of him. I still dont think Hamiltons heads space will be there over a season. If his Mrs and him have a fightbhe seems to mope around. Car not under him goes walk about. Still often drags performance from the car but as the guy wears his heart on his sleeve you can often see how hot and cold his emotions run.

Over the season if Rosberg can keep the pressurd on him I can see him breaking. That said Rosberg had a bad weekend with a poor quali...loving the season...just need Kimi to find his feet and we can still have a cracking season
Old 21 Apr 2014, 12:00 (Ref:3396173)   #435
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I disagree - I think LH has the head for it. I'm more dubious about NR - he's got exactly the same car, and has lost the last three races to his (team)mate, two of them in a straight fight. That's going to affect his head in some way.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 12:32 (Ref:3396185)   #436
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am always amused by the short-term thinking on the forums. A couple of bad to average races for a driver, and people immediately jump to conclusions. And even though Rosberg has won only one out of four races this season so far, he is still doing pretty well. 2nd was his worst result so far. I think we need to see may be 7-10 _dry_ race weekends in order to start jumping to even preliminary conclusions. Even if Rosberg ultimately loses this battle, I think ultimately we're going to regard him higher than Webber or Massa or even Raikkonen.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 13:04 (Ref:3396201)   #437
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Even if Rosberg ultimately loses this battle, I think ultimately we're going to regard him higher than Webber or Massa or even Raikkonen.

I do already anyway......
Old 21 Apr 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3396303)   #438
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I disagree - I think LH has the head for it. I'm more dubious about NR - he's got exactly the same car, and has lost the last three races to his (team)mate, two of them in a straight fight. That's going to affect his head in some way.
But it was the same when they were karting together in the MBM team as teenagers. Hamilton tended to have a distinct edge, Rosberg always chasing him down.
Looking at rhe sector times and terminal speeds in China, Rosberg set fastest lap and sector times, and was faster in terminal speeds than Hamilton almost everywhere. Rosberg was certainly trying, no question about that, and there is very little between them in race craft although Hamilton is willing to risk more to keep his place than Rosberg is to take it off him, (on some occasions).

Hamilton had good sectors everywhere early on as he consolidated his lead but terminal speeds were never ultimately the highest. But then he never had to extend himself during the second half of the race when the cars were lighter. Hamilton may also have run a little more downforce, giving up terminal speed for the extra corner speed. In the second half of the race he was coasting toward the finish just consolidating his lead which is why he had the lowest consumption figures. Stats don't always give you the full story though.

Bottas had the highest terminal speed, started 7th, finished 7th, and used no fuel at all. A remarkable drive.

Last edited by Teretonga; 21 Apr 2014 at 18:04.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 08:57 (Ref:3396563)   #439
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I heard Rosberg might have a cold. If so, his seat at Mercedes is in jeopardy.

Poor gag, I know, but reading some posts (both here and elsewhere) you'd think he's heading for retirement already.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3396646)   #440
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Hamilton had good sectors everywhere early on as he consolidated his lead but terminal speeds were never ultimately the highest. But then he never had to extend himself during the second half of the race when the cars were lighter. Hamilton may also have run a little more downforce, giving up terminal speed for the extra corner speed. In the second half of the race he was coasting toward the finish just consolidating his lead which is why he had the lowest consumption figures. Stats don't always give you the full story though.
Exactly, when the car was lightest, LH wasn't having to drive hard, so sector and speed comparisons are fairly irrelevant. NR had to drive hard the entire race (almost)
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 12:10 (Ref:3396656)   #441
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But then we can hardly blame Lewis for having done everything right.......
Old 22 Apr 2014, 12:13 (Ref:3396657)   #442
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Give us a minute, I'm sure we could find a way.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 12:18 (Ref:3396661)   #443
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No doubt Peter - I'm sure someone is typing the vitriol as we think about it.........
Old 22 Apr 2014, 12:31 (Ref:3396670)   #444
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the surprising thing is that neither Hamilton or Rosberg are playing to their stereotypes, and there's actually very little between them.

We were told all over winter that Rosberg is the thinking man's driver and that Hamilton's pure speed may not be enough in the new formula, but in Bahrain Rosberg had the much faster car and was outwitted by his team mate. I'd expect the reverse to happen at some point this season.

I think Rosberg's pure speed has been underestimated, as well as Hamilton's other talents. He seems to have matured a lot since leaving McLaren and has lost that hot-headed nature which cost him dearly in his latter years there. I think the move, in retrospect, perhaps came a little too late in his career. His ability should have earned him more than one championship.

Rosberg is clearly more than holding his own and we're not seeing a good vs great team mate rivalry ala Webber and Vettel or Coulthard and Hakkinen. Coulthard and Webber, were very very good racing drivers who could beat their team-mates on their day but weren't really in with a chance over a course of a season.

Rosberg and Hamilton clearly have the best car, and they're being allowed to fight each other. I think a lot of people, many of them perhaps subconsciously, are trying to turn this into the next Prost/Senna rivalry, with Rosberg playing Prost and Hamilton as Senna. I would argue that the differences between them are nowhere near as polarised, and while that may not make such good material for a future film, it could make for a season which is very exciting in which luck decides who comes out on top, rather than approach.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 13:03 (Ref:3396691)   #445
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I think the surprising thing is that neither Hamilton or Rosberg are playing to their stereotypes, and there's actually very little between them...
Excellent post and very much agree
Old 22 Apr 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3396781)   #446
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Certainly wasn't doing that! He did indeed do everything right, not just right but really really right. I think he made one mistake where he went wide on a corner? That's about it.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 16:12 (Ref:3396788)   #447
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
When you have the best car, its all you need to do. After all, Vettel did it for years.......
Old 22 Apr 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3396794)   #448
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
All to easy for Hamilton at the moment. It's all the car. I could win races in that car. Just wait til things start going wrong, or that dog of his dumps him...

Blah, blah...

(Will that do? )
Old 22 Apr 2014, 16:58 (Ref:3396808)   #449
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
yes garcon... I have heard that tune before, think Vettel over the past 4 years, and Schummi before that...
Old 23 Apr 2014, 12:55 (Ref:3397204)   #450
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Exactly, when the car was lightest, LH wasn't having to drive hard, so sector and speed comparisons are fairly irrelevant. NR had to drive hard the entire race (almost)

I'd guess most of the difference at the end of the race is because Nico had to start in dirty air and heavy traffic and that continued for a while where Lewis was clear. His fault? Yes, a little mistake in qually but not bad racing. I'd also expect it might have taken a few laps to settle the no telemetery issue, not his fault. I recall the TV announcers mentioning maybe no DRS. I didn't see it work but don't know.