Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2419460)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Panoz to return to LMP1

I reckon this certainly deserves its very own thread so ,

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090319/ALMS/903199991

I wonder what kinda power train they are considering . Possibily something to do with kers again ?

But its brilliant news indeed , they are even talking about a front engined beast !!! woohoo ..... As Don said , have you ever seen a horse pushing a cart
Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:20 (Ref:2419473)   #2
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is fantastic news, i read in the article something about running the Chevy V8 (under the impression its the 7.0 C6R V8), im salivating over the possibility of a front engined Panoz coupe again with a thunderous V8 soundtrack to boot, it will be like the Batmobile all over again!!
Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:26 (Ref:2419479)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great news!
Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2419486)   #4
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ohhhh!!!

Please make it so, missing out on the great times with Jan, Johnny and the thunderous Batmobile!

With the Corvette engine, it could be a glorius car!
Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2419487)   #5
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're struggling just to keep their GT2 car competitive, and these aren't the first announced plans to replace the Esperante program. Abruzzi anyone?
Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:34 (Ref:2419493)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All this, after building a woefully uncompetitive front engined prototype a while ago?

Either sticking the engine in the front will be a stroke of genius, or really not work. The latter happened last time, and will probably happen again.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2419497)   #7
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Maybe not winning trophies, but the fans loved it and made the brand very popular.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2419500)   #8
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A P1 with a big-block Chevy V8 running on algal butanol?! Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
All this, after building a woefully uncompetitive front engined prototype a while ago?

Either sticking the engine in the front will be a stroke of genius, or really not work. The latter happened last time, and will probably happen again.
I take it you missed the bit where the original LMP1 Roadster won quite a few ALMS rounds.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:57 (Ref:2419509)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post

I take it you missed the bit where the original LMP1 Roadster won quite a few ALMS rounds.
Yes thats right but engineering and technology changes and what was once a competitive way of doing things isnt necessarily still the same now. As Duke Toaster said, the last Panoz LMP wasnt really that competitive, sure it wasnt slow but it didnt win any races. Unless Panoz has changed its thinking of designing front engined cars it is hard to imagine that they will get better results next time around.

That said I hope I am proved wrong, I was a fan of the Panoz it was a very distinctive car.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 17:59 (Ref:2419511)   #10
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post

While I agree that sticking the engine in the front may not be the best idea, the Panoz was not woefully uncompetitive. In 1999 it won the ALMS manufacturer and team championships over BMW, Ferrari, Porsche and Audi in that order. They also finished 3rd in 2000 and 2nd in 2001, 2002 and 2003 against some fairly big-time efforts by Audi, Cadillac, Lola, etc. Also, the Panoz had a few decent runs at Le Mans, a track for which it was not ideally suited. All-in-all, quite a decent and fun car to watch.

DK

Last edited by dxk1; 19 Mar 2009 at 18:21.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:02 (Ref:2419512)   #11
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i believe this is the prototype that scott atherton talked about in article we are all familiar with. Place your bets on four rear tire car. How is this going to work. Surely they already startes designing in 08 because to make a fast front engined P1 seems difficult. Is it going to look like the Mercedes SLR Roadster concept. Atleat they'll be back on michelins. No discredit to yokohama but they don't have any experience with P1's(correct me if i'm wrong) Michelin is the way to go. They'll have a tire that can handle the front engined acura eating beast.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:04 (Ref:2419513)   #12
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This needs to be a newly developed Chevy engine. The corvette engine is too big to be put in the front sucesfully. Can you imagine this car going through the corkscrew. It will feel like you went off a cliff
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2419514)   #13
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
what was once a competitive way of doing things isnt necessarily still the same now.
Porsche would probably dissagree.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2419518)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A large Chevy V8 would only be legal for 2010, they'd need a different engine for 2011, unless the ACO continue to allow production engines in P1.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2419520)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Porsche would probably dissagree.
Yes they probably would, but i said "isnt necessarily" I didnt say "is not".
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2419526)   #16
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
This needs to be a newly developed Chevy engine. The corvette engine is too big to be put in the front sucesfully. Can you imagine this car going through the corkscrew. It will feel like you went off a cliff
It will not be a new engine; GM killed the new high-tech diesel engine because of financial concerns.
The chance of a new enigne are somewhere between zero and none.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2419528)   #17
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
Why is that a problem now, when Corvette Racing has been using it exactly the same place without a problem?
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2419532)   #18
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind View Post
Why is that a problem now, when Corvette Racing has been using it exactly the same place without a problem?
The airbox has to be as low as possible. That was one of the problems of the Panoz LMP07.
Quote:
The problem with the LMP07 was that the Zytek engine was designed to fit in the rear of a single-seat car, rather than the front of a sports car. The inlet trumpets should have been cross-over type, rather than near-vertical: it was not possible to fit long enough trumpets under an airbox which would still allow the driver to see over it. Short trumpets mean reduced torque.
source: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/thorby.html
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2419538)   #19
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post

Well , that original roadster was a very competitive machine . It was only really beaten by the Audi R8 and BMW V12 LMR , but what wasnt . It was against full works entries .

I was gutted to see them leave LMP1 ..... so you can just imagine how happy I am with this news .
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:40 (Ref:2419545)   #20
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
A large Chevy V8 would only be legal for 2010, they'd need a different engine for 2011, unless the ACO continue to allow production engines in P1.
This was my feeling as well. I don't know what Chevy they would use besides the well tested Corvette engine, unless they were only planning to use the big engine for one year and then try to modify the car for a different engine after next year.

DK
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:42 (Ref:2419549)   #21
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
It will not be a new engine; GM killed the new high-tech diesel engine because of financial concerns.
The chance of a new enigne are somewhere between zero and none.
So , are you saying that Don Panoz is talking outta his ass ? He obviously has done his homework , or not ? ..... or maybe he is juat a dreamer Bob .

Remember , that he , more than most has a very good relationship with the ACO ..... this could possibily mean that the rules may be changed yet again .

Banning stock block engines was a crap idea anyway .....

I want to hear what Knighty has to say about this , and MulsanneMike too . Should be very interesting .
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2419556)   #22
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing and hearing the 'Batmobile' Panoz at the ALMS race at Silverstone 2000 is what got me in to Sportscar racing. I'm so happy at the prospect of a P1 Panoz racing at Le Mans again I can barely contain my excitement!!!!!
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:53 (Ref:2419560)   #23
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
We have the Danish LMP1 S at Sturup, getting out to stretch her legs from time to time

Wonderful roaring thing!

When will people learn, never to underestimate Don Panoz, Who took the initiative to the ALMS and the Panoz brand?

Most people talk more and do less..
Old 19 Mar 2009, 19:18 (Ref:2419585)   #24
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they went with a wider angle engine there'd be more space for inlet trumpets.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 19:47 (Ref:2419638)   #25
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind View Post
We have the Danish LMP1 S at Sturup, getting out to stretch her legs from time to time

Wonderful roaring thing!

When will people learn, never to underestimate Don Panoz, Who took the initiative to the ALMS and the Panoz brand?

Most people talk more and do less..
Stretching legs at Sturup? Impossible!