Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 30 Apr 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2682318)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I still maintain and I know for a fact as I have bought, them that a suitable helmet and a latest spec triple nomex race suit can stand you in a tad over 300 quid if you want it to. No it wont be the latest Carbonfibre lid but there again do you need it but it will be FIA spec as will the suit although it may well be an AWS model in a standard cut and design but there you go, it would be legal!
Old 2 May 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2683244)   #27
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you considered sharing a car with a mate? Cuts the capital cost down and you'll find it's just as exciting (almost) and involving when he's racing as when you are. Also there are some race series where they have double headers and 2 driver races.

Go for it!
Old 2 May 2010, 15:49 (Ref:2683268)   #28
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I still maintain and I know for a fact as I have bought, them that a suitable helmet and a latest spec triple nomex race suit can stand you in a tad over 300 quid if you want it to. No it wont be the latest Carbonfibre lid but there again do you need it but it will be FIA spec as will the suit although it may well be an AWS model in a standard cut and design but there you go, it would be legal!
Al, can you tell us were you can do this for a tad over £300, having just had look at AWS's site the cheapest 3 layer FIA suit I can see is £361.78 and thats before you get your helmet. But lets face it the 'does spending more make it beter' thread has been done to death. Although you can get a cheaper HANS device now with the sports model (no need for the debate of it restricting movement as thats not true either )
Old 2 May 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2683306)   #29
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK you can buy a Snell helmet for £148, plus I did Al a deal on a suit for £200 as it was an end of range. This was a special price, TBQH from me you'd need to allow a tad over £400, OK a big tad, £480. But that's what you need to get on the track, all the rest can be added as Christmas/Birthday prezzies.
Old 2 May 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2683350)   #30
alexhall
Racer

England
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
alexhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give rallycross a consideration - especially for starting out to see if you're going to get on with competing. You can get a licence for a few quid with no test and there are several attractive hire options, such as this one, modelled by yours truly

http://www.mini-cross.co.uk/mdacarhire.php
Old 2 May 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2683364)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
OK you can buy a Snell helmet for £148, plus I did Al a deal on a suit for £200 as it was an end of range. This was a special price, TBQH from me you'd need to allow a tad over £400, OK a big tad, £480. But that's what you need to get on the track, all the rest can be added as Christmas/Birthday prezzies.
End of line? Ha ha and there was me thinking as it was a XXXL there was no one else big enough to sell it too! Sorry to mislead if I did BTW, there are FIA spec helmets available for around £120 I paid about £105 from Rally Design for an AGV one but may not be stocked anymore.
Old 2 May 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2683366)   #32
Fasteddymini
Rookie

Fasteddymini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
help

I guess you marshall at Anglesey and Oulton - in which case you will have seen the XRs which concentrate at both being mainly under BRSCC NW - if so next time you are there, speak with some of the lads in the championship and you may find it is affordable - but you need to set your goals in a realistic way....how much can you afford ? start with how much the ARDS test/medical/licence will cost, then the equipment.... do some research (as you are now doing) and there is usually some second hand stuff for sale...speak to competitors and remember you will have to pay an entry fee (£200-£300 per race) - have you got a trailer ? can you borrow/rent one... then think about consumables like oil and filters, brake pads and fuel for the race car and tow car and finally tyres..the beauty of one make is that they use control tyres and theres usually loads of second hand ones available....but it all goes back to setting your achievable goals within an affordable budget...and remember the second year is cheaper because you will have a car and some equipment. I reckon that you could possibly do a first year of say 4 or 5 races in XRs for less than £5k with a second year of 6 or 7 races for about £3k. Get good at scrounging, begging and borrowing and ask loads of questions and make new friends who own trailers, spanners, old tyres etc etc

There are 3 types of people in motor racing
1. Participants 2. Competitors 3. Winners
Ive spent seasons and seasons being a participant and the last 4 being a competitor and occassional winner - i have been competing since 1970......theres plenty of time...once bitten the bug never stops so be careful what you are getting into.
Good luck and go for it
Old 2 May 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2683368)   #33
Fasteddymini
Rookie

Fasteddymini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
help

I guess you marshall at Anglesey and Oulton - in which case you will have seen the XRs which concentrate at both being mainly under BRSCC NW - if so next time you are there, speak with some of the lads in the championship and you may find it is affordable - but you need to set your goals in a realistic way....how much can you afford ? start with how much the ARDS test/medical/licence will cost, then the equipment.... do some research (as you are now doing) and there is usually some second hand stuff for sale...speak to competitors and remember you will have to pay an entry fee (£200-£300 per race) - have you got a trailer ? can you borrow/rent one... then think about consumables like oil and filters, brake pads and fuel for the race car and tow car and finally tyres..the beauty of one make is that they use control tyres and theres usually loads of second hand ones available....but it all goes back to setting your achievable goals within an affordable budget...and remember the second year is cheaper because you will have a car and some equipment. I reckon that you could possibly do a first year of say 4 or 5 races in XRs for less than £5k with a second year of 6 or 7 races for about £3k. Get good at scrounging, begging and borrowing and ask loads of questions and make new friends who own trailers, spanners, old tyres etc etc

There are 3 types of people in motor racing
1. Participants 2. Competitors 3. Winners
Ive spent seasons and seasons being a participant and the last 4 being a competitor and occassional winner - i have been competing since 1970......theres plenty of time...once bitten the bug never stops so be careful what you are getting into.
Good luck and go for it
Old 2 May 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2683371)   #34
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
End of line? Ha ha and there was me thinking as it was a XXXL there was no one else big enough to sell it too!
I was trying to be polite Al
Old 3 May 2010, 14:17 (Ref:2683783)   #35
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I noticed that you can buy a "used" Schumacher balaclava for a "mere" 239 quid on the ebay sidebar ads
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 May 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2683798)   #36
Irvine6
Rookie

Irvine6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lol..

Ok so i think best thing for me to do is save up for a while, while i decide and speak to a few people in diffrent race series. Should i wait untill i am ready to race to take my ARDS test or take it anytime so i have it then?
Old 3 May 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2683802)   #37
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine6 View Post
Lol..

Ok so i think best thing for me to do is save up for a while, while i decide and speak to a few people in diffrent race series. Should i wait untill i am ready to race to take my ARDS test or take it anytime so i have it then?
I took my ARDS a few years before I started racing, mainly as I wanted to start straight away and never managed to get round to it. But it is one way of spreading the cost a bit.
Old 3 May 2010, 17:24 (Ref:2683855)   #38
Irvine6
Rookie

Irvine6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickkicker View Post
I took my ARDS a few years before I started racing, mainly as I wanted to start straight away and never managed to get round to it. But it is one way of spreading the cost a bit.
Will i have to resit it every so often or will it last? because im tempted to go for it now to be honest.
Old 3 May 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2683859)   #39
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine6 View Post
Will i have to resit it every so often or will it last? because im tempted to go for it now to be honest.
Providing you renew your licence each year you will never have to resit it, I think there may be a time limit between sitting your ARDS and first licence application though.
Old 3 May 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2683862)   #40
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ARDS testing £250 at MSV circuits - its pretty similar across all of them.#

If you're North Wales based, NW sports & saloons might be a good bet - you could race an XR in that series and the NW series.

In defence of one-make championships, some are better (as in enforce driving standards) than others - and a lot of mixed class racing isn't very racey; more people driving around thinking that they are on the limit when they're not, then spending more money to try to go faster...
Old 3 May 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2683945)   #41
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
You dont even have to renew it each year you can let it lapse for several years and still get it renewed, I think its three years but may be more as I guessing from memory.
Old 4 May 2010, 06:43 (Ref:2684072)   #42
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's three and five years for a National A